Mega G pickup shoes finicky?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega G pickup shoes finicky?

Seems that way to me. I still have problems with them catching on the tight corners even though I've found it helps to file/dremel off the outside leading corner of the shoes & it seems like it's way too easy for them to get tweaked out of alignment which leads to poor power pickup & erratic behaviour. Is it just me or has anyone else found these cars/shoes to be hard to get "just right"?

Same here, but patience prevailed. I finally got all six of my 1.7's hooked up but it took a lot of tweaking to get it right. ( I have 51-6" R, 1/8 pieces, Tomy, on my layout. )

Don't give up. I finally got to where I like running these now. Like I said, it took time.

Good luck,
    Cliff

Comment

this is an odd ball long shot, but could one take some super thin copper sheet, or brass and cut it the same shape as the pick ups, but fatter/wider and solder them on top of the factory ones?

Or use some conductive glue or something? Just imagine the factory pick ups being like 1mm or so wider than they are now is the idea.

Comment

They haven't impressed me at all, besides the nice bodies. We ran them as an IROC class recently on a super smooth routed track. Two of the cars had consistent pickup problems that had nothing to do with corners. They would just die on open track, with very clean shoes.

Poor job Tomy....poor indeed.

Comment

One thing I found that helps in some cases is to take off the shoe, and using the stem of a q tip, polish the inside curved part of the shoe that contacts and hooks over the metal tube thingie.

Comment

An improved shoe would be a great item for a outside manufacturer to release. At the very least this is something Tomy should look at improving in future releases.

Comment

Mega G Pickup Shoe Problems

slotbubba, if you haven't already, you should report your issues to Steve Russell at Racemasters; you can reach him through the AFX website, if needed.
              I have noticed while running on my Tomy track, the longer wheelbase version tends to deslot easier( front end lift) than the short wheelbase version, especially on tighter corners; possibly a bit of weight over the guidepin would help in this regard. Have not had electrical issues with the pickups (have 12 LWB / 18 SWB Mega G's so far), but have seen this mentioned before on this Forum). Certainly with any new design, there are always things discovered after release that weren't caught in pre-release development (racing "improves the breed" is not just another catch phrase). Feedback and aftermarket parts (as they are developed) will help in this regard. When this chassis first came out, there was a rash of warped chassis (manufacturing issue), but Racemasters handled this with replacements as well as working with the factory. This pickup issue will get resolved, too. This is a new and innovative design that is just scratching the top of it's potential; certainly, some of the more inventive of the Forum members have already come up with a number of ideas to improve both drivability and dependability. In the meantime, if you aren't happy with your Mega G chassis, maybe we can work out a swap; I have some older Tomy Turbos, GPlus, Magnitraction, or LifeLike "T" chassis I'll exchange!

Comment

What were your "fixes"?

Originally posted by Ovalhead69 View Post
                Same here, but patience prevailed. I finally got all six of my 1.7's hooked up but it took a lot of tweaking to get it right. ( I have 51-6" R, 1/8 pieces, Tomy, on my layout. )

Don't give up. I finally got to where I like running these now. Like I said, it took time.

Good luck,
                Cliff

Comment

I was getting on the forum today to update my track/car problems I was having and stumbled across this thread. Wanted to add my 2 cents as well.

We got the set at Christmas and played with it for a few days before I started having issues with the cars running - the Mega G LMP cars that came with our set. I have 2 Magnatraction cars that run fine.

Anyway, long story short, I got the set out last night and from what I can tell, its not a dirty track, its worn (grooved) pick up shoes. I looked real close at the shoes and they are really groved from just a few hours of play. The shoes seem to be realy soft copper. The Magnatraction cars have what appears to be stainless shoes that last longer.

I tried flipping the shoes from left to right on one of the cars and it just stopped working all together. I noticed that because of the design of the shoe, the way the hooked end engages the spindle, when you set the car on the track, it becomes disengaged, therefore losses contact and current. I boiled that down to a weak shoe spring on one side.

So, I am ordering pit kits for both cars today and replace shoes and springs to see if I can get them back to running. If I have to start buying new shoes for these cars every couple days of play, they are going on the shelf and I'll run Magnatraction and Xtraction cars.

Any comments on my deduction are welcome.

Thanks
                  Alan.

Comment

I would look at a way to bend the shoe to stop the lift, that way I can run with softer shoe tension and have better handling

Comment

AGrant, that's a pretty good observation you have made about shoe spring tension, and stock pickup shoes in particular. I have had grooved pickup shoes as you described, and the spring tension was definitely different than those that were not effected. But in my case, they have happened with Super G+, SRT, even Tyco 440x2 and LifeLike chassis (so far, My Mega G's have held up). For these chassis, I have gone to the aftermarket (BSRT) for my pickup shoes, and they seem to last longer and provide better contact than those that came with the car originally. I am hoping that BSRT orsomebody else will upgrade this component for the Mega G as well.
                      This just illustrates that there are variations in not only whole chaasis, but individual components that can effect wear. Certainly, some lanes of a given track can have an effect (positive or negative) on a particular car, it's tires, etc. I don't know how a manufacturer tests the spring rate of the tiny springs that come with most of these cars, but it appears that it is not working to any degree of consistancy. It probably doesn't help that Tomy is half way around the world, and maybe makes component changes with suppliers without Racemasters necessarily being aware of it. Either way, don't give up on your Mega G's just yet......

Comment

Not gonna give up on them just yet. I just today ordered 2 pit kits and 2 sets of replacement shoes (3 pair in each set) so I should be set for a while. When they run, they run fast! And I really like running them with the Tri-Power pack. They run as fast as you can handle 'em.

I'll keep ya posted once I've serviced the cars.

Also, I thought about bending the shoes to help with contact. I will try that tonight.

Thanks...

Comment

I also recently had an issue with a 1.5 Mega-G. I have logged quite a few hours on it and the brushes are getting close to needing replacement. One night, just running some laps by myself, the car would either come to a complete stop or stutter.

Having read other posts here, I took the body off and ran the chassis until it came to a stop. I proceeded to push down on the end of the pickup shoe that contacts the track. No joy. I then pushed down on the shoe where it loops around the brush holder. It started to move. SO I took the brushes off, and gently squeezed the round end that loops over the brush block to close the gap. I then ran the car another 10 to 15 minutes without further problems.

Not sure if it is a associated with the worn brushes or whether the rounded end of the brush has a tendency to spread open up after time affecting the electrical contact with the brush holder.

Comment

SO I took the brushes off, and gently squeezed the round end that loops over the brush block to close the gap
                            I assume you mean shoes, but yes, this is a good step.
                            it takes some time to get right, but try some bends on the shoe neck as well so it does not want to push off the barrel. this will allow you to bend the shoe spring to be softer.
                            that will(most likely) allow for faster lap times

Comment

Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post
                              What were your "fixes"?
                              1.7 chassis w/ F1, Champ, Indy body.

First, I took a wood block and tapped all the 6" rail joints lightly till my finger nail rode smooth across the top of the rails. Also checked for rails that were to tall, I had to replace two sections of the 6" R, 1/8 track.

Then I concentrated on the back of the pickup shoes, the hook. While keeping the pickup shoe flat for more contact across the rails, the hook needed a slight reshaping to keep the shoe from tilting left to right.

At the same time, the bend in the hook needs to be making continuous contact to achieve this and keep the free play out of the shoe while getting good electrical conductivity.

Really, it's basically all in the pickup shoe hook. ( Don't forget to keep checking your shoe tension during the reshaping of the hook, it will change with every adjustment to the hook. )

This worked for me and maybe this will work for others.

Good luck,
                              Cliff

Comment

Working...
                              X