Problem with Tomy/AFX 18 inch curves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Tomy/AFX 18 inch curves

I have a 4x8 layout that uses a total of 9 Tomy/AFX 18 inch curves. On all but two of them, I am having a problem where the cars (Mega G, AW ThunderJet, and Life Like) all stop on the 18 inch curves if they do not enter with momentum to coast across.

It is as if the rail height is too low such that the cars lose contact, but they feel with my finger very similar to my other tracks. The tracks have good connectivity through them to other tracks, such that if I disconnect the track behind the terminal track, a car will make it all the way around the track to the break in the track IF I push it across these 7 sections. Lifting the back of the car and moving the contacts around results in spinning tires, so the problem seems to be the connection between the car and the track, not the connection between track pieces.

The problem is in both lanes on 5 of the tracks and only in one lane on the other 2. 2 sections work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Brent

Ok since all cars do it , and if the rail looks like it's a simalar height, then its either power running through the track or the rails are no rusted or pitted and not making good contact with the cars.

I'm guessing you have tried lightly sanding that section, make sure to wipe off after to pick up lose metal. Lightly.

Then the next test would be disconnect the tract right after the curve and run the car slowly through the curved bad turn, if it stops can you budge it(car) and get power? I had some new tomy track that did not have long enough rails check closely. Check you metal tab connections you may have to tweak them so they fit tighter.

The best test is to go to the store and purchase another 18" inch track and try it, I know not ideal but you should find your problem.

I had some weird problems lime you are explaining , it was the metal tabs were short on sections of track, also just bad rail. They are made in china? Lol Anyway hope this geta you on the right track.

Comment

Check to make sure you can physically push the car through the turn. Some of the 18" and 15" curves have VERY narrow slots and they can get pinched to the point of not letting the car travel through at lower speeds. If this is the case; take an emery board and run it through the slot until it is opened up enough to make the car fly through.

Comment

I have seen some 18" curves where the rail ends are a tad short and fail to make contact. This can be fixed by a little prying.

Grab the track at the joint with the adjacent track and twist it slightly right, test it, then twist it left and test it.

Jim Norton
        Huntsville, AL

Comment

I have had problems with rail height on 18" Tomy curves, some of mine are lower than other sections of track too. If you have verniers you could check the height and compare with other sections of track. I had to pull the rails up out of the grove a little to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Norton View Post
            I have seen some 18" curves where the rail ends are a tad short and fail to make contact. This can be fixed by a little prying.

Grab the track at the joint with the adjacent track and twist it slightly right, test it, then twist it left and test it.

Jim Norton
            Huntsville, AL
            I'll second that - same with my old track. You can use the blade of a small screwdriver to adjust the rail ends. Just insert it from above and twist lightly to tighten the zig-zagged connecting part.

Good luck!

Stephan

Comment

If the rail height is low - from underneath the track pieces push up the rail (portions of the rail are exposed). I had the same problem and this fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Calslot View Post
                I have had problems with rail height on 18" Tomy curves, some of mine are lower than other sections of track too. If you have verniers you could check the height and compare with other sections of track. I had to pull the rails up out of the grove a little to fix it.
                I have two sections of 18" curves where one rail is lower than the other three. Both are on the outer lane, and the lefthand rail. I did not catch this until I glued my track together, and had all the borders glued to the table and track. My question is how did you pull your rails out out of the groove?? PLEASE tell me you did it from the topside of track, and not from the bottom side of the track. I really don't want to tear my track apart to fix it if I don't have too. Its a gutter lane so I don't run it all the time.

If the cars have brand new pickup shoes, they will make it across that piece of track without losing any power to car. If the pickup shoes have any wear on them, the car loses power as it crosses that section of track.

Comment

My track is well and truely bonded to the base board, I didnt notice it either until it was to late. I used a small pair of side cutters (I know, ouch!) It was the only way I could get the rail up. Lay the side cutters flat on the track one blade of the cutters either side of the rail and grip the rail until they grab and gently prise the rail up, start at one end and move along. My rails were also soldered so I had to de-solder to get to an end to get it started. Pick the point where the rail is at its highest point. I was really worried I was going to snip the rail in half or damage the top of it in some way. Be sure the side cutters are small and the blade is flat on the outer edge, some have blades that tapper to the cutting edge not what you want. Good luck! I could post some picks if this is not easy to understand.

Comment

My track is well and truely bonded to the base board, I didnt notice it either until it was to late. I used a small pair of side cutters (I know, ouch!) It was the only way I could get the rail up. Lay the side cutters flat on the track one blade of the cutters either side of the rail and grip the rail until they grab and gently prise the rail up, start at one end and move along. My rails were also soldered so I had to de-solder to get to an end to get it started. Pick the point where the rail is at its highest point. I was really worried I was going to snip the rail in half or damage the top of it in some way. Be sure the side cutters are small and the blade is flat on the outer edge, some have blades that tapper to the cutting edge not what you want. Good luck! I could post some picks if this is not easy to understand.
                    THANKS!!! I see my next project. Got to find side cutters without any taper to cutting edge. I tried a pointed awl to pull the rail up. That left a small hole next to the rail where I pushed it down next to the rail before I tried to pull the rail up. I like your idea alot better!!!!

Comment

If you don't have any luck, I am only a 22hour plane trip away. Bring your whole track over and I will do it for you!

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for your help. Tonight I'll see what I can do. I could not wait to play on the layout, so right now it has smaller curve sections and slightly longer straights instead.

Comment

If you don't have any luck, I am only a 22hour plane trip away. Bring your whole track over and I will do it for you!
                          No problem!!! I will definitely take you up on that offer. I got everything set up with Kalitta Air to bring it over. Call Kalitta Air Cargo at 1-800-521-1590, they need your address so they can find the closest airport to you that they can land one of their 747's at. And they need your credit card number too!!! Since I got you a 747, tell me if you need anything from the States??? Should have some extra room for about anything you might need from the good old U.S.A.!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X