Should I wire my track for braking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erictrumpet
    started a topic Should I wire my track for braking?

Should I wire my track for braking?

I currently run mostly T-jets and Magna-Traction on my Tomy track. I've been racing it with stock controllers happily for years. But it's time to step up. Should I go all out and get Parma controllers and wire the track for braking?

Mine is a smallish track (6 foot back straight) so without braking, I do a lot of "coasting." However, I have never run with brakes so I don't know how it feels. I am also aware that a track wired for braking can easily be run without brakes by just not connecting the third wire.

Should I do it? Will I be saying "I should have done this years ago!" ?

Eric.

• RichD
    replied
    It will not hurt to wire your track for brakes, however a lot of people who race HO cars do not use brakes. Modern HO cars tend to stop on a dime, so you will turn faster laps if you do not use brakes. Some pancake cars can do with at least partial brakes, especially original Aurora T-jets that might have very weak magnets. High end controllers include a variable brake feature using a potentiometer in the brake circuit. You can add a pot to any controller using a 100 or 200 ohm pot. Be careful that you hook up your controller correctly, pots are easy to burn up. I use rheostats, they are wound on a ceramic core and are much more robust than pots.
    There is another reason to wire a track for brakes, if you ever wanted to get an electronic controller a lot of those only work if there is a brake circuit.
    Last edited by RichD; 01-08-2012, 08:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    If you wire the track for brakes, you can also adjust how much you coast, if you have the right controller. I would recommend the One Stop Stage III.

YSODIYA

Leave a comment:

• BudMan49099
    replied
    YES!

you should've done it years ago

Leave a comment:

Working...
X