Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aurora G+ maintenance issues...darn motor brushes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aurora G+ maintenance issues...darn motor brushes!

    I have two G+ cars that need motor brushes. I went to a hobby store that sold me two sets of original vintage Aurora motor brushes, check! I get home, and can't figure out how the hell to put these things in the barrels without them falling out!? And there's no way to get them in without removing the barrel housings from the chassis - right?

    Do you have any tips, secret tricks, etc. - to get the brushes into these chassis??
    Last edited by AndyK; 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM.

  • #2
    I find it indeed easiest and fastest to remove the barrels with their clips (by using the blade of a small screw driver from underneath the chassis) and installing the whole clip/barrel/spring/bush assembly back again.

    There are other racers who have built themselves a pincers-like device off an old pickup shoe but honestly I never got the hang of it and - after countless attempts of recovering brushes and even springs from the floor - gladly switched back to the remove-the-clip version which is quicker than spending serveral minutes on your knee on the floor.

    Good luck!

    Stephan

    Comment


    • #3
      So when you put it back together, how do you do it? Armiture in first, then put the clips back in with the spring and brush already installed?

      There is really NO room to put the springs and brushes in with the barrel retainers in place!? Very frustrating, and very tiny!

      Comment


      • #4
        Perform a search under Aurora AFX G-Plus for a thread originally posted by rainday101 that I responded to in which I attempted to explain my technique. Using this technique I can normally swap out the brushes in a minute or two. Hope this helps.

        Thom

        Comment


        • #5
          I come up with nothing when I search for Aurora AFX G-Plus:


          The following errors occurred with your search:
          Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by AndyK View Post
            I come up with nothing when I search for Aurora AFX G-Plus:


            The following errors occurred with your search:
            Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
            OK, try search, advanced search, user name and type in phnz up. Go to the last page anf look for the thread titled Aurora AFX G-Plus. I believe my response was #14 dated 04-03-2009. If after you've found it and you're still having issues, contact me and we'll try and work through it somehow.

            Thom

            Comment


            • #7
              Found it - I wasn't using " " in my search.

              So you take a screw driver, wedge it between the two brushes, then put the arm in and realease the screw driver? Sounds simple - until one brush goes balistic! Arg!

              Also, is there a trick to snapping in the arm so as not to break one of the gears??

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AndyK View Post
                Found it - I wasn't using " " in my search.

                So you take a screw driver, wedge it between the two brushes, then put the arm in and realease the screw driver? Sounds simple - until one brush goes balistic! Arg!

                Also, is there a trick to snapping in the arm so as not to break one of the gears??
                When you're ready to snap in the rear bushing on the armature assembly make sure the rear axle assembly can rotate freely and the unit will pop right in place. The crown and pinion gears are really resiliant and will not suffer the worst if both can rotate freely. Let me know if you're still having difficulties and good luck to you.

                Thom

                Comment


                • #9
                  Cool, just snap the rear in, without holding the car down on the work table - which allows the rear axel to spin so the gears to mesh and fall into place! Got it.

                  Another question: When taking the arm out, do you remove the arm AND magnets together?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AndyK View Post
                    Cool, just snap the rear in, without holding the car down on the work table - which allows the rear axel to spin so the gears to mesh and fall into place! Got it.

                    Another question: When taking the arm out, do you remove the arm AND magnets together?
                    In this application it's better to remove one magnet at a time and re-install them the same way. Make sure you remember which one was on what side so that they're oriented properly when it comes time to re-install them. To remove the magnets remove the brass retainer clip on top then apply pressure to the bottom (track) side of the magnet while rotating the armature assembly up to 1/3 of a rotation until clearance is gained to push the magnet and flux collector completely through. Repeat on the opposite side.

                    Thom

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah, I figured out the magnet orientation last night, when I put them in and the car wanted to go backwards!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X