Replacement tire for Aurora G-Plus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement tire for Aurora G-Plus

I bought an original Aurora G-Plus Shadow Can Am slot car. the rear tires are rock hard and I would like to know what the proper replacement tire would be. The original tires appear wider than the AFX tires.Thank you for any advice. Update...I found a set of AJS black cats that are.250"I.D. .450"O.D. .250"Wide.Car runs really well on these rear tires,although they have a very low profile and crown gear just clears the track...Should I go a little taller?

David S
    Last edited by David S; 02-03-2012, 06:42 PM. Reason: Added info.

Good question. The answer is dependent on how much down force the car is producing. Bottom line is the magnets in this chassis configuration may be adjusted up and down based on the od size of the rear tires or for that matter the front tire/wheel ride height. In my estimation this was Aurora's most adjustable car. Just for information purposes I've run anywhere from a .438 up to a .470 rear tire. Another variable is the type of track surface you're running on. That would also dictate the type of compound that you would use, ie soft, med, hard, etc.
    Hope this helps.

Thom

Comment

The tires i got were S401 silicones from Jag Hobbies.

.270 w x .440 OD
      Last edited by oneredz; 02-03-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information! The car really handles well with the .415 O.D. tires,but it is very close too rubbing the crown gear. I will try the sizes that you recommended. Also the track that I am running is an original AFX Marathon lighted set.Think compact and twisty!

David S
        Last edited by David S; 02-04-2012, 01:58 PM. Reason: Added info.

Comment

Originally posted by David S View Post
          Thanks for the information! The car really handles well with the .415 O.D. tires,but it is very close too rubbing the crown gear. I will try the sizes that you recommended. Also the track that I am running is an original AFX Marathon lighted set.Think compact and twisty!

David S
          I am usually setup on a 4x6 or 6.5 board so my layouts are compact also. My rear tires might be a bit tall, but my front ones are a little too low profile for me so i will be getting some taller fronts to keep the shoes from digging in too much.

Comment

Originally posted by phnz up View Post
            Good question. The answer is dependent on how much down force the car is producing. Bottom line is the magnets in this chassis configuration may be adjusted up and down based on the od size of the rear tires or for that matter the front tire/wheel ride height. In my estimation this was Aurora's most adjustable car. Just for information purposes I've run anywhere from a .438 up to a .470 rear tire. Another variable is the type of track surface you're running on. That would also dictate the type of compound that you would use, ie soft, med, hard, etc.
            Hope this helps.

Thom
            Thom,
            Since this is my first Aurora G-Plus,how does one adjust the magnets in the chassis?

David S

Comment

Originally posted by David S View Post
              Thom,
              Since this is my first Aurora G-Plus,how does one adjust the magnets in the chassis?

David S
              Each magnet has a metal flux collector that fits between the chassis and the magnet. Looking at the top side of the flux collector you should see two small tabs for and aft. Bending the tabs up lowers the magnet in the chassis and increases downforce. Conversely, bending the tabs down raises the magnet in the chassis and decreases downforce. Use care in bending the tabs to insure that you don't break them off. As in the case with most metal, if you bend it too many times they will eventually snap off. Hope this helps.

Thom

Comment

Original G-Plus Rear Tires

I've used the aj's #003 Black Cats you describe since day one on my original Aurora G-Plus runners, with no problems. Just be sure you don't rev that motor too high with the rear wheels up, you might blow 'em right off the wheels!
                Those aj's were sized to fit the original Aurora A/FX cars (and they do, perfectly). There are modern slip on tires available today that are as wide as those G-Plus rims, (and slightly taller than the aj's), you might consider them if you feel that the car is riding too low to the track rails.

Have fun and...Enjoy!! -- Ernie

Comment

Adusting Magnets and Rear Tire Suggestions.

Originally posted by phnz up View Post
                  Each magnet has a metal flux collector that fits between the chassis and the magnet. Looking at the top side of the flux collector you should see two small tabs for and aft. Bending the tabs up lowers the magnet in the chassis and increases downforce. Conversely, bending the tabs down raises the magnet in the chassis and decreases downforce. Use care in bending the tabs to insure that you don't break them off. As in the case with most metal, if you bend it too many times they will eventually snap off. Hope this helps.

Thom
                  One caution on bending the tabs, if you bend them too much (to lower the magnets), the magnets will be off center too much from the armature causing the armature to rub against the top of the mags. Another method, but a little trickier, is to use a dremel and sand down the small metal numbs on the bottom of the flux collector. This is about as far as you can lower the magnets and still have the armature spin without rubbing.
                  Either method is tricky and can fail so make sure you have spare flux collectors.

Regarding rear tires, I have had success with the following based upon the car, wheels and magnet strength.

Weird Jack Wide Butt Uglies
                  Wizzard PVT-10
                  Supertires LL .042, .046, .050

Comment

The Super Tires, made for Life Like's, is what I use. They are perfect. I'm not sure on the sizing though; check with them for that info...Chris

Comment

Thank you for the tips on adjusting the magnets.I think that I will leave them alone for now,car runs great. I will try some of the different tires that were mentioned. I see my self getting more Aurora G-Plus cars.

David S

Comment

Working...
                      X