Aurora screechers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aurora screechers

Does anyone know where I can get a pic of exploded view of an aurora screecher, or where to find parts? Just I.D.'d one of my garage sale finds, trying to fix it..think I need pickup springs. Thanks in advance.

Not much too them it's basically a tjet with a pivot front axle sort of like a curve hugger.

Basically you have to get used cars or nib cars off eBay or if you find them at a swap meet.

Comment

Here are pictures of the chassis: http://www.modelmotorist.com/web-content/screetl.jsp

ncphobbies has most of the Screechers parts.

Comment

Interesting chassis, have not looked closely at one before. Does anyone know what the idea was behind the pivoting front end? Was it simply to let the rear hang wide while making the front appear to counter steer, more or less like drifting? With the front wheels well behind the guide pin I'd expect the front to "steer" straight regardless of what the back is doing.

Cheers,
        Michael.

Comment

I'm among the ranks of "never own or paid attention to these" but I have some Aurora bodies that have really long front wheel openings, now I get it.

Comment

yup to accommodate the front axle that pivots. the laser 2000 bodies are carry over from the screechers.

the idea was basically being explored by all the HO manufactures at the time, producing a curve hugger, the thought being let the front wheels do something to help the chassis take a corner better.

Comment

They look like a G+ with pivoting front wheels. I have also recently seen some of these without a guide pin. Saw somewhere that the pinless ones use magnets in front to stay with the rails. Doubt that would work but I may have to find one or 2 to experiment with.
              Last edited by oneredz; 02-15-2015, 07:57 AM.

Comment

The Screeechers were leftovers from the failed Magnasteer experiment.

They originally had little magnets in the pickup shoes that were supposed to keep the car on a slotless track, but they apparently never worked right and sales were dismal. So Aurora repurposed the leftover chassis with guide pins and no pickup magnets, creating the Screeechers.

They are indeed very similar to a G+ chassis, and go together mostly the same way (except the pickup area). Contrary to a lot of talk above, the only magnetic "curvehugging" ability is provided by the motor magnets, which are essentially useless for traction in this chassis. There are no flux collectors like the G+ has, and the magnets are quite far from the rails. I wouldn't expect this chassis to handle corners very well.
                Last edited by el gecko; 02-15-2015, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Yeah.... I have a Camaro that has HUGE front wheel openings that I originally thought somebody did but have since learned that it came that way. It's a TYCO but was probably the equivalent- some sort of turning/pivoting front end or axle

Comment

Yep, you can always tell the Command Control bodies from the regular Tyco bodies by the insanely large front wheel wells. They did it with quite a few, the '57 Chevy, '79 Mustang, and '79 Camaro/Firebird come to mind right off the bat, and I know there were a bunch more. However, they work just as well on a standard HP7 or widepan X2

Comment

Working...
                    X