Controller Station Wiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controller Station Wiring

I need to wire up a new controller station. It's been too long for me to remember but I assume the red wired on a Parma Econ wires to the - from the power supply, white on the Parma econ goes to + from the power supply, and black on the Param econ goes to the + rail on the track?

Thanks,
    Dave

That's right. Your memory might be better than you think...

Comment

RichD posted this excellent diagram a while back:
      http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...85&postcount=3

Hope it helps,

Rolls

Comment

http://www.oldweirdherald.com/techti...tw_2_2004a.jpg

Comment

Use this if you don't need a reversing switch.

Last edited by RichD; 06-08-2012, 06:52 AM.

Comment

What's the most damage I can do if I don't put a fuse in? This is mostly a temporary setup and I'm not sure I have the fuses lying around... I'm using this power supply which I'm pretty sure can handle any badness...

http://www.trackmateracing.com/shop/...?id_product=32

Oh, and not to derail this thread, but what the heck should I wire the ground on the power supply to? I feel like I should ground it but never have...

Comment

Originally posted by daufderh View Post
              What's the most damage I can do if I don't put a fuse in? This is mostly a temporary setup and I'm not sure I have the fuses lying around... I'm using this power supply which I'm pretty sure can handle any badness...

http://www.trackmateracing.com/shop/...?id_product=32

Oh, and not to derail this thread, but what the heck should I wire the ground on the power supply to? I feel like I should ground it but never have...

If you have a short and say the track wiring has a weak spot then the weak spot could fail. 20A can push through a fault. But can the track wiring handle the fault?

Comment

I only know it hurts when I stick my tongue on a battery. What would happen if the wiring can't handle the surge? I'm using pretty low gauge wiring (14 I think)...

Comment

Hey Guys,

One more small detour on this post derailment...

How do I wire a track live Bulb?

Is it just one side to white and one side to red(Controller completes the circuit)?

Thanks
                  Chipsta
                  "The Other Revell Guy"
                  Chipsta
                  "The Other Revell Guy"

Comment

Check out my gallery for wiring photos

Comment

Originally posted by chipsta040365 View Post
                      H

How do I wire a track live Bulb?

Is it just one side to white and one side to red(Controller completes the circuit)?

It is just as you describe. LEDs are polarity sensitive. Good old incandescent bulbs are not.

Comment

Thanks Maddman

Chipsta
                        "The Other Revell Guy"
                        Chipsta
                        "The Other Revell Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
                          Use this if you don't need a reversing switch.

What should be done if you want your cars to run in the opposite direction? and why is it better to wire a track with positive polarity?

Comment

The track polarity has nothing to do with which way the cars will run. With HO tracks the right hand rail looking in the direction of travel is negative. Polarity refers to the direction that power will go through the controller, not the cars. If you only use resistor controllers electricity can go either way and it will not matter how the track is wired. With electronic controllers electricity can only go one way, so you have to be careful. There are dual polarity electronic controllers out there, you usually have to flip a switch or change some jumpers around. If you were to take the diagram that I posted and first reverse the plus and minus, then reverse the wires that go to the track rails you would reverse the track polarity, but the car would still run in the same direction.

With regards to fuses they are necessary if you have a big power supply. I once raced on a very nice custom made track that had no fuses. Someone (who shall remain nameless) put a car on the track and hooked up his controller the wrong way, the rails got so hot that the plastic started to smoke and the rails themselves curled up. Ouch! All of the 1/32nd tracks that I run on have XLR jacks, you can't hook up wrong with those.

If you put a light across the red and white driver's station terminals it will be lit any time the track power is on, even if a controller is not plugged in. If you like to vary your track voltage LEDs are not the best choice because they need dropping resistors and only work over a narrow voltage range. Regular incandescent lamps would be better in that case.

Comment

Hey Dave,

I know you said a simple drivers' station but what the heck. Here's a fancy one.

Here's his simpler one.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Comment

Working...
                              X