No announcement yet.

Controller Station Wiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Thought Better Of It (what I was going to say about US controller stations).

Comment

Originally posted by HO RacePro View Post
      Google says "TBOI" stands for "The Binding of Isaac".

Ed Bianchi
      Well it IS close to Easter......but then Isaac had nothing......Oh nevermind.

Comment

Like this controller station better?

Comment

Indeed! Thanks Rich, NOW I know how I want my controller hangers to look like. Is this proprietary information...do I owe you money??

Comment

You can get pretty much all of that at Slot Car Corner. The web site is easy to find.

Comment

OK, I'm thinking of adding XLR connectors to my track and controllers. Grand kids are sometimes having the alligator clips come off so maybe it's time to upgrade. I'm planning to keep the posts and adding the XLR connectors.

My question is: this picture looks like the back side of a female XLR connector. Is the wire color indicated here for each pin correct for HO? If there's a standard for HO, I'd like to conform to that. (click on the photo.)

And is that different from the larger scales? As I recall from somewhere HO polarity is reversed from the larger scales.

Thanks,
              Karl

Comment

Mini Mojo - That's a panel mount XLR - could be male or female. You'd have to see the front to determine which version.

Comment

The controller would use a male XLR plug and the driver's station would use a female XLR jack. The standard is 1 = Black, 2 = White and 3 = Red.

Track polarity is a confusing issue, it refers to the direction that electricity will go through the controllers, since there are two ways that a track can be wired that can cause problems with most electronic controllers. The diagram that I posted is for the positive wiring scheme that is the standard for club style tracks. The direction that the cars will run is a separate issue. With HO tracks the negative rail will be on the right looking in the direction of travel.
                  If you were to switch the wires at the power supply you would change the track polarity and also change the direction that the cars will run. If you want to change the direction that the cars run without changing the track polarity just swap the wires that go to the rails.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. That's what I needed which color to which pin. Parts are coming so that's how I'll do it when I do the update.

Karl

Comment

Comment

HObro, that's exactly what I'm using now, threaded lamp tubes, makes it harder for the alligator clips to come off. I will keep those and add the XLR connectors so either will work. Also adding an on/off brake switch as you would need that wnen using a conroller with the XLR connector.

Comment

That is one hitch with the XLR connectors, you can't leave the brake wire disconnected if you don't need brakes, which is the case with many HO cars. For club racing many people have controllers with adjustable brakes, so the XLR connectors would not be an issue. You can make an adapter to eliminate the brakes, rather than having a switch at the driver's station. I have an XLR to alligator clip adapter. For a while when I was racing G-Jets at 12 volts I was using my 1/32nd controller, that has an XLR connector and the brake control pot is not suitable for HO cars, so I made an adapter with a resistor in the brake circuit. Later I ordered a custom version version of the controller with the correct brake pot, that one has alligator clips.
                          Be aware that extra switches at the driver's stations may sometimes cause problems.
                          Last edited by RichD; 04-24-2019, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X