Slot car Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No voltage rule? No problem...

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Comment

Originally posted by slotcar64 View Post
      Ok, so no human DRIVES the car, but still a human has has minimum CONTROL - e.g. starts the car, stops the car, maybe adjusts the speed once in a while.
      OK the car needs to be switched on, but does that exclude anything that might be thought to be a slot car?
      It can stop without any human intervention, leave it long enough and something will wear out to the point it stops.
      There's not necessarily any need to adjust the speed once it starts.

Comment

interesting you mention Guinness and Sizzlers....

I consider myself the biggest fan boy of "convert to slot" and have this tiny car which is with a 4mm motor, that I'm itching to make a tiny slot. Looks like some futuristic thing, doesn't much "look" like a real car. But, it has tiny metal clips on the back that you hook to a small charger, energize it, then set it on a track and watch it go. Simply bringing the two metal feeds to the front, and putting a guide pin in it, and making a tiny track with copper tape, would be cool. I bought the car, for this exact purpose, to convert it to slot. It would ALMOST fit a nascar 1/144th die cast body, but the internals of the car are too high I think. Would make a nice little knock off Faller Go Kart though for sure...

I've got ChoroQ bikes, misc micro cars I just itch to convert to slot...everytime I take my daughter to Toys R Us, I must hit the "boys" toys to see what's in there, that I can use to make/convert to slot form...lol

More on topic, my thoughts are anything that is guided by a slot, and can be ran with or without human intervention, is a slot car. As in, constant control. As you can run trains infinitely once you set the power, much the same in my opinion holds true for slot car. Set power, set cars, turn it on, and watch it go, as long as power is supplied to the car via contact system, and the car has a pin to hold it in a slot, it's a slot car.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru View Post
          For specificity on what constitutes a slot car, I'd take a look at some of the existing patents - by necessity, they have to go into pretty specific detail.

Attached is a .pdf of one of my grandfather's slot car patents from his tenure at Eldon. It doesn't really go into the defining specifics of what makes a slot car a slot car, but it is quite detailed in its descriptions of the makeup of his particular chassis design.

I'd imagine that earlier patents, maybe like some from Lionel, might have more descriptive language defining what a slot car "is".

Thanks for sharing that, I found it very interesting.

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Slotbob View Post
            No voltage rule? No problem...

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...
            Slotbob,
            Is this what you are trying to say...

Comment

'64, you are one bad momma-jomma!

Comment

Originally posted by ncdslots View Post
                interesting you mention Guinness and Sizzlers....

I consider myself the biggest fan boy of "convert to slot" and have this tiny car which is with a 4mm motor, that I'm itching to make a tiny slot. Looks like some futuristic thing, doesn't much "look" like a real car. But, it has tiny metal clips on the back that you hook to a small charger, energize it, then set it on a track and watch it go. Simply bringing the two metal feeds to the front, and putting a guide pin in it, and making a tiny track with copper tape, would be cool.
                YA GOT ME !!!!

Introducing the Worlds SMALLEST "Slot Car" (I think)

About 1/2 the size of a Micro Machine AND RUNS on STANDARD H.O.TRACK!!!

Don't know what I'm gonna do with it yet, but it's cute.
                Last edited by slotcar64; 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Let that thing go in the same lane about 2 seconds before the Jet-Truck, hopefully that will take care of it...

Comment

Originally posted by slotcar64 View Post
                    YA GOT ME !!!!

Introducing the Worlds SMALLEST "Slot Car" (I think)

About 1/2 the size of a Micro Machine AND RUNS on STANDARD H.O.TRACK!!!

Don't know what I'm gonna do with it yet, but it's cute.
                    I'm a might be perplexed at how both our thought processes seem to be similar....

I can't believe you were talking about the little nano charger car....mine is a bit different, but, the same thing...o ring tires...just a different body....

That's crazy....

I guess the real question is.....

How's it run? My idea was to make a couple go karts, hand make bodies for a couple of these...wasn't sure how they'd run...

Comment

Actually runs pretty good... now for some insite. First, the thing is only 3volts and my track is 18. you cannot keep in the trigger or it will go "POOF". But that's OK, just one little spark and the thing will do 3/4 of my track without power no problem. I did the wiring like you said, soldered to the inside feet and ran the wire out the side. For the shoes, I just glued a couple brass strips (0.001) to the inside body so when you put the body on, it sets the brass against the wire (KISS). The shoes are real touchy and basically just 'skip' along the track (no constant contact)... which is GOOD. More often than not, I'll need to give the car a push to get it started, but once running just have to CRACK the trigger every now and then. I also put some weight in it, seems to help keep the bugger down.

Comment

Oh, I'm thinking golf karts. I have a mold I vacuum formed some 'pit' golf carts for scenery and think this may work. You're right though, the insides are a bit high.
                        Last edited by slotcar64; 03-19-2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

it is so cool, we raced at John's home last night.

The little slot car was just cool, and to see some of the jaw dropping last night when they saw it! LOL

The monster truck is cool as well!!

So if you want to see this stuff up close, come to rochester for the GREENBRIER THUNDERJET CHALLENGE on 4/13

Comment

Slot Cars ?

...and just for the fun of it... COX made a large scale, gas powered, two lane outdoor slot car set in the sixties. I know there were a Stingray coupe and Riviera bodies offered. No throttle controls that I was ever aware of, just free running in the slot. Lots of ads in the old hobby magazines show these sets, as well as 1/1 scale auto magazines. Check it out.

Enjoy -- Ernie

Comment

A slot car should have a guide of some sort that goes into a slot, be powered by electricity, and be controlled by human input, or monkey in some cases, via a controller in my opinion.

Speaking of small...though it doesn't have a guide or run using a slot, it very well could.

And a video of it running...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151239735410214

Comment

Look 34 seconds into the video, and you might see the worlds largest slot cars. We used to love driving those when I was a little kid growing up in Chicago. They are ride on top cars that run in a guide slot that went around a scenic track. Part of the fun was you got to press the pedal and make it go. You also got to steer it around a foot or so on either side of the guide rail.

http://blog.chicagohistory.org/index...nds-last-ride/

Comment

Working...
                                X