Tyco Pro's vs Aurora T-Jets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyco Pro's vs Aurora T-Jets

I'm a 1/32 guy. Haven't been in HO slots since 96.
    Thinking about building a "Mille-Miglia" slot track.

Give me a comparison of Tyco-Pro cars vs Aurora T-Jets.

Thanks,

ncng

disclaimer--Pancake cars were and are still very cool and the folks that build them up get amazing speed out of them.

In the late '60's I raced T-Jets with the neighborhood kids. We put the big tires on the back, later AJ's foam tires--and had a lot of fun.

I had a little experience with 1/32 scale and a little time at a 1/24 large venue.

When the tyco-pro came out I bought one, a chapparal I think, and was just blown away. It was lower, much faster, came out of the corner sideways, and was generally like a mini large scale car.

It was a huge difference--and although I run 440x2s, the memories of the tyco-pro vs the t-jet are fond ones that will always be with me.

Bottom line--count on investing $$ and time into the T-jets if you want to run them against the tyco pros.

Now, all that was decades ago. Am thinking others can tighten this up and provide more precise information regarding racing them together.

Comment

It would be more fair to compare the TYCO Pro to Aurora AFX (non-mag chassis)

The TYCO pick up system, IMHO, was their big drawback. The brass wipers were difficult to adjust and wore out quickly. Their button pick up was not much of an improvement, at least for me. They were very sensitive and deslotted easier.

The AFX was a larger improved version of the T-Jet. The biggest problem I had with them was traction.

If you want to compare the T-Jet to a TYCO, it would probably be the TYCO S series.

MOO

Marty
      Marysville, OH

Comment

I would suggest looking at availability of cars & parts! I would think there are lots t-jet stuff.

also if there are other racers in your area, if so, what do they race?

Comment

Mr. King makes a valid point. Parts availability & cost are definitely factors.

Consider what your competition goals are and then wade into it with an open mind and check out the various platforms available.

Many these days use a relatively contemporary inline car (BSRT/afx, Tyco, etc) with brass weights in lieu of magnets to get that "vintage" T-Jet feel.

IMO--and there has been much discussion about this--a single platform is easier, cheaper, and provides closer racing than trying to match up multiple chassis types (ie T-Jets & tyco-pros), but it can be done (open note--this is not intended to kick that can of worms open, just to be helpful for ncng).
          Last edited by Slotbob; 06-12-2013, 05:27 AM.

Comment

You are not going to find many people that run Tyco Pro cars, if that matters. In the early '70s I had a bunch of them and I recall that they were faster than T-Jets, but the pickups were a pain and you had to goop the tires to get good grip. I still have some Tyco Pro cars, they have not been run for 40 years, I guess time flies when you are having fun. I should put new wheels with silicone tires on a couple of the cars and see how they go. Replacement pickups are going to be a problem, I did a Google search to see if anyone had replacement pickups, but nothing turned up. Riggen guides could be used in place of the Tyco guides, but those are scarce and expensive. You might end up having to make your own pickups from sheet copper. You probably would be better off in the long run going with Aurora or Auto World T-Jet type cars. Plenty of NOS and reproduction parts are available for those. You could also consider Aurora A/FX cars, with silicone tires they are good runners.

Comment

Thanks for all your help, as a kid I had Tyco Pro's so I am a little nostalgic to them.
              I am a 1/32 racer with a track and a lot of cars. I recently have been buying racing
              sets of my you. Ideal TCR, Lionel Power Passers, and my first set "Daytona Tyco Pro
              Racing." I think I am going to build a nostalgic track, maybe a Targa Florio. So looking
              to understand the different cars and chassis that should look for to run a period like
              race.

I love all you suggestions, keep them coming PLEASE!

ncng

Comment

ncng,

My suggestion would be to tune the tyco-pro's up with new tires, oil, etc., and then order up a couple of Tyco 440x2's and some supertires urethanes.

I have a few older cars, and some bodies that have sentimental value, and occasionally look for a green 1/32 strombecker indy car just to have it... Point being, you can keep the oldies around for the true nostalgic experience, and then come close to it with newer stuff that you can race/beat into oblivion.

Anybody that follows SCI knows this is what I run and it is my standard answer, but what you describe is kind of what I am looking for as well--and therefore my solution may work for you also.

There are lots of good solutions, and no real "bad" ones. Also, check out the big auction site and simply search "HO Slotcars". Look carefully at the various chassis with the "zoom" feature and see what looks interesting and well built to you.

Comment

NCNG,
                  The Tyco Pro Brass War cars are very different than a pancake T-Jet. The Brass War Cars use a can motor and are much faster than a T-jet. Both cars have their drawbacks but I think you will find many more T-Jet drivers in the universe than Brass War Cars.

if you decide upon a Brass War Car, I would probably consider the Riggen style Brass car over the Tyco Pro. The Riggen car is much better than the Tyco Pro but the same concept. Riggen type cars can be purchased through Terry Flynn at Harden Creek.

If you decide on a pancake T-jet car, as stated you will find many more drivers that you can race with on your track. You may want to consider the Aurora AFX car. This was Aurora's first real attempt at making the pancake car into a real race car. You'll need to do some modifications to a right out of the box car but I think the rewards will be greater than the Brass war Cars and the standard T-Jet.
                  Most important when making a decision will be the area in the country were you racing. If you are in a T-Jet region then you may want to go in that direction. Maybe your in a magnet race car region.
                  When you come on this site and you want to get back into racing, you may want to say were your from, you'll be surprised either through the private message or the open message system how many guys will respond and ask you to come to their tracks.

Comment

also the AFX non mag can have ballast weights added pretty easy
                    or the AFX magnatraction (AW x-traction) uses some magnetic downforce and can be fun as is or souped up with poly magnets and a mean green arm

lots of fun there

then if you look at modern cars

Slottech, BSRT & wizzard make fast inline cars.
                    the slottech car is kind of based off the tyco 440x2, Bsrt off the SG+, and wizzard off its own design with a hint of sg+

Comment

G+

I could be totally wrong here but my I thought the Tyco Pro was much faster than anything Aurora had at the time and that the G+ was Aurora's response to the Tyco Pro.

Comment

Tasman,
                        I think that the Aurora Super 2 may have been the answer to the Tyco Pro. In those days, 1972, Parma ran the national Championship races. It was Brass War cars against the Tony P./Aurora Super 2 car

Comment

Originally posted by stez1970 View Post
                          Tasman,
                          I think that the Aurora Super 2 may have been the answer to the Tyco Pro. In those days, 1972, Parma ran the national Championship races. It was Brass War cars against the Tony P./Aurora Super 2 car
                          The Super II was Aurora's answer to the Riggen. The Tyco Pro was never an issue (or seriously raced in the pro ranks in that era). At the 72 Parma race the field was Riggen, AFX and one Super II. Aside from the Super II there wasn't a stock car in the place.

The Riggens had extra weight, body tubes and aftermarket bodies. The AFX cars had side and/or front floating pans, rewound motors and aftermarket bodies.

About a year later the AFX no-pan cars killed off the Riggens and there was no serious competition to Aurora until the Tyco 440-X2 was released. The Tyco 440 was close but no cigar. There were some interesting races between the Aurora G-Plus and the Tyco 440-X2 however when folks figured out how to modify the Tyco it was all over for Aurora. The Super G+ eventually replaced the Tyco but that was Tomy as opposed to Aurora.

Comment

And the biggest gun during the Brass War era was a kid named Gary Rider .http://www.riggenho.com/garyrider.htm

Comment

The only reason I would go T-jet is the amazing new and used parts availability and aftermarket parts and bodies. Those new ones are annoying as adjustments are needed to make it run! Hell, all of my used Tyco cars didn't need nothing! I'm not very familiar with Tyco Pro chassis.

Comment

Working...
                              X