Aw drag sets.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aw drag sets.

I have seen these autoworld drag sets with timing tree' cars' finish line;ect. Are they any good. Anyone doing HO drag racing here. Thanks for help' INDYBOB

Hello bob yes they are fantastic. Get one and check it out

Comment

I have a AW drag strip and it is a lot of fun.Get the return loop so you do not have to get up and retrive the cars.

David S

Comment

You can also try manually reversing the power plug direction at the center connection on the terminal track to back up the cars from the end to the starting line. Go slower in reverse though to avoid possible deslot.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. My main concern is if the parts like the light tree ' finish line lights would hold up. I am used to trakmate quality and just do not want to buy a toy. I know you can only gets so much for the price.

Also can any car be used like my HO collection. And can better controllers be used like Parma.

Also they all are 13 ft' can I make it longer like 24 ft. Thanks Indybob

Comment

Any car that runs on a Tomy/AFX track can be used. Likewise, any controller and power source that works with Tomy/AFX track can be used. You can make your strip longer. The lights work well and seem to be reliable over time. Have fun!!!

Comment

Although the AW strip is a toy, it is a very fine toy and can be upgraded like you want.

The only limitation is that there is no timing facility, just a false start sensor at the start and a sensor at the finish to determine the first car across the line. That's a lot of fun though - and can get very competitive.

I bought just the start and finish modules and then added my own power supply, controllers and AFX track (which is interchangeable with the AW track and superior in quality and flatness).

I run a scale 1/8 mile at home and a scale 1/4 mile when it is set up in public.

1/4 mile = 20.625 feet (16 AFX 15" straights + 7.5)
              1/8 mile = 10.3125 feet (8 AFX 15" straights + 3.75)

Every May, two AW 1/4 mile strips are set up at the UK Slot Car Festival for the public to use.

The drag strips are a big hit in the HO Zone. They run non-stop with one set of batteries from 9am to 4.30pm. The AW 4-gears run very well for that time too.

We run Funny Cars on one strip and Top Fuels on the other. This year we built return loops, which made life a lot easier - saves us jogging 40 feet a couple of times a minutes for seven hours. 12" radius curves were fine for the Funny Cars, 15" radius curves were needed for the Top Fuels.

Comment

I agree, it's a great "toy" and it would have been a perfect one with a timer for the race and for the reaction time....may be a wish for 2014 ?

Comment

These can be alot of fun! I made a permanent dragstrip along my garage wall @ 17' long (HO 1/87 scale, 1320 strip). It's a 1000' ft strip for the F/C and T/F (1/64) cars..LOL. It works out well because I can still get a car in and out of the garage without hitting the doors. I don't have return loop but added a few feet of dead track for shutdown area. Faster cars run into soft rags ..so no damage into the wall. Watching Tjets spinning the tires halway down looks authentic!

Comment

Indy, as a result of a reply by ScooterMcCoy to a question of mine elsewhere here, I've just seen the AW Legends of the 1/4 Mile set at Hobby Lobby for 130 bucks. It includes the "set only" red Jungle Jim Camaro. With the printable 40% discount coupon that's a pretty attractive price. It's a pity we don't have the same kind of thing here in Aus...... I have slot envy issues!

Cheers,
                    Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Jisp View Post
                      Indy, as a result of a reply by ScooterMcCoy to a question of mine elsewhere here, I've just seen the AW Legends of the 1/4 Mile set at Hobby Lobby for 130 bucks. It includes the "set only" red Jungle Jim Camaro. With the printable 40% discount coupon that's a pretty attractive price. It's a pity we don't have the same kind of thing here in Aus...... I have slot envy issues!

Cheers,
                      Michael.
                      Its good online also.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help. I have a great place for it. My room has a 22 by 6ft Carrera 4 lane track and my opposite wall is 18ft that I could use' the door takes up the rest on that wall. I have a huge HO collection also 'before I got into 1/32 thing I had a huge 4 lane Ho tracks.

I like to get the set with the Top Fuel Dragsters. They are my favorite then funny cars. Whats to lose I guess. Any pic of yours all drag strip. I might do one with grandstands lights ect. Thanks Indybob

Comment

Indybob...Sounds like you have the best spot for it. Try an AFX power pack to speed up those 4gear dragsters a bit. Wait till you put a Tomy/AFX car on the track...hope you have along shutdown area!! Have fun.

Bob

Comment

Indy, PM sent.

Comment

If anyone is interested, I just ordered a AW drag set from Tower for $35.78, It is the set with the school & VW bus (not great, but I couldn't beat the price).

- Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X