Monza GT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monza GT?

Just wondering, what is this car? It's the old AFX version from around 1980. Google just gives me a 1960's Corvaire type car, but this looks more like a late 70's style. I assume it originally was paired with the BMW 325i style cars. Mine's the flamethrower orange and red one.

Thanks for any updates.
    Last edited by CoachD; 10-17-2013, 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Could it be based on the Opel Monza, A European car from 1978? It certainly looks like one.

Comment

Coach,

It was an "economy" car in the '70's.

Racing version:

They were unibody, initially came with the 151 CID "iron duke" 4 cylinder engine.

Eventually you could get one with a 305 cid small block--and I had a friend that had one.

A barrel of laughs, though very nose heavy.

Interestingly, it almost was a prototype for the "gen 4" camaro.

Driveline, construction, even the exterior plastic gas cap lid were all similar.

The racing versions primarily competed against the whale-tail porsches of the day, and although they had the speed, tire wear and reliability issues resulted in mediocre sucess on the track.
      Last edited by Slotbob; 10-16-2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Monza

That is cool info Slotbob! I was unaware of the link between it and the Camaro. My father had a 78 baby blue Buick Skyhawk which was the same car in Buick form. But it was a 6 cyl and a 4 speed and that thing was FAST!! at least it felt fast to an 8 year old. And he DID drive it like a race car!! They had it at least 10-12 years and it got sold and they bought a Grand Marq...Guess it was time for something comfortable instead of fast... I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Comment

Jo--You are very welcome!

Probably you can pick up one for a song if you like (and are patient) --just make certain it is rust free.

They were not especially prone to rust, but fixing it can be time consuming and expensive...

Comment

Slotbob,

thanks for the great info as usual. So it was made by Chevy/GM. I thought it had a little 80's era Camaro in it. I guess it's a little analogous to the Capri/Mustang?

The racing version does look pretty cool and almost LPM like.

Comment

Coach,

Not exactly, but close...

The Chevy Monza had a Pontiac counterpart--the Sunbird, and there was an Olds & Buick as well (as mentioned). All basically the same. Windshields, doors, etc would interchange. This was analagous to the Mustang and (US built and Mustang based) Capri. The European Capris are another story (someone I knew referred to his as a "Cra-pi").

But during the time of the Monza's production, the 70's Camaro & Firebirds were tougher cars with larger motors, transmissions, & differentials. They also had a front subframe per se. the Monza was an entirely different platform, narrower, and more cheaply made throughout.

Eventually the Monza was discontinued in 1980, and after that, in '82, the "new" F body platform was introduced. At that time the styling was very advanced, but surprise, the motor was a 305, the tranny was a borg warner, the body was unibody, the rear end was similar (smaller), and so on.

Really, the 4th gen "F" body cars (Camaro & Firebird) could be considered the 2nd gen Monza--they are simply a little wider in the middle.

At the end of the day, though, compared to a current front drive misermobile, both cars are not bad at all.

And, now you know...

...the rest of the story!

The slot car is definitely a cool piece!
              Last edited by Slotbob; 10-16-2013, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I seem to recall that the Monza and it's cousins was originally supposed to be powered by GM's version of the licensed Wankel rotary engine (as the AMC Pacer was), but the engine was cancelled. The engine compartment of the road cars was a tight fit for the 305 cubic inch V-8 (most had a V-6), but that didn't matter for the IMSA racecars, as they had custom built tube frame chassis anyway. Much smaller than the Camaro/Firebird twins........

Comment

can't find any pic's witha quik search,,,,, but loved the look of these machines as they tore up the pavement @ the late Liverpool speedway,,, very distinctive front end,,, & with the pumped guards...definitely race worthy

Comment

[quote=Slotbob;779706]Coach,

It was an "economy" car in the '70's.

Racing version:

[qoute/]

Nice thoughts Jay but I think it really resembles the Opel Manta 400 GpB Rally car.

Google for more pics
                    Last edited by Jensen B; 10-17-2013, 02:23 AM.

Comment

I think that makes it pretty clear it is not based on any Opel as I first thought.

The Opel Monza/Vauxhall Royale Coupé seems to be a completely different beastie, although of course makes within the GM multiverse did/do share designations.
                      Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 10-17-2013, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Chevy Monza?

The Monza was a warmed over Vega.

Per Wiki:
                        The Chevrolet Monza is a subcompact, four-passenger automobile produced by the Chevrolet division of General Motors for the 1975–1980 model years. The Monza is based on the Chevrolet Vega, sharing its wheelbase, width and 140 CID (2300 cc) inline-4 engine. The 1975 Monza 2+2 was designed to accommodate the GM-Wankel rotary engine, but due to mediocre fuel economy and emissions compliance issues the engine was cancelled, and a fuel-efficient 4.3 liter V8 engine option was substituted.[1] The name was also used for the Latin American version of the Opel Ascona C.
                        The Monza 2+2 and Monza Towne Coupe competed with the Ford Mustang II and other sporty coupes.[2] H-body variants Buick Skyhawk and Oldsmobile Starfire were produced using the Monza 2+2 body with grill and trim variations and Buick's 3.8 liter V6 engine. The Pontiac Sunbird variant was introduced the following model year, eventually offered in both Monza body styles. The Monza nameplate originated in mid-1960 for the sporty version of the Chevrolet Corvair.

Is wiki, is close enough... Nuff' said...

Scott

Comment

Gentlemen,

An easy mistake to make, especially if one is from Europe.

Opel's are kind of cool in their own right. Here is one that looks a lot like the slot car:

And then there is this beast, just waiting for a slot car replica body dropped over a Mega G chassis (that will almost certainly never come to be...{lol}):

Last edited by Slotbob; 10-17-2013, 04:18 AM.

Comment

The car in question is a model of the Dekon Monza, a group 5 race car.

http://www.scharch.org/Cars/Monza_Ra...on_Chassis.htm

Others have documented the stock model Monza.

Comment

Lee Dykstra certainly got around.

I think that is a dekon in the picture I posted?

Comment

Working...
                              X