No announcement yet.

Monza GT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the AFX Monza GT, they were sold between 1978 and 1981. The 1:1 cars were dogs, they were built on the Vega chassis. You could get them with a V8, but that was when emission controls had taken a huge toll on both horsepower and drivability. The cars still had the same brakes as a Vega and even in normal use those would get hot enough to melt the plastic hubcaps. At the same time Ford had the Mustang II that was built on a Pinto chassis.

Comment

What is "fast" is somewhat subjective...

But in the '80's I helped a buddy fix his up a little.

Mods--500cfm 4bbl carb on an aluminum intake manifold, true dual exhaust (catcon delete, of course), special distributor with modified advance curve. That was it.

Would light the (13" x approximately 8") tires right now.

Also pushed like a boat into a curve, right up until it snapped loose and powered out sideways.

Went through BF Goodrich T/A tires like crazy.

Not a race car, not even the quickest street car, but won it's fair share of "redlight grand prix" events against camaros and mustangs and was plenty dangerous!

ps--Monza V8 trivia--changing one of the plugs, #3 or #5 on the drivers side, required removing a bolt from the LH motor mount and jacking the engine up (steering column interference)!
      Last edited by Slotbob; 10-17-2013, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slotbob View Post

ps--Monza V8 trivia--changing one of the plugs, #3 or #5 on the drivers side, required removing a bolt from the LH motor mount and jacking the engine up (steering column interferece)!
        Memories: Had an 80's Chevy citation with a 6 cyl. To get to #6 (I think) plug, you had to either partially remove the engine or drill a hole in a frame member. Not sure I ever changed that plug!

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
          Here is the AFX Monza GT, they were sold between 1978 and 1981. The 1:1 cars were dogs, they were built on the Vega chassis. You could get them with a V8, but that was when emission controls had taken a huge toll on both horsepower and drivability. The cars still had the same brakes as a Vega and even in normal use those would get hot enough to melt the plastic hubcaps. At the same time Ford had the Mustang II that was built on a Pinto chassis.

Rich, the cars purchased by the public were as you described. However, the IMSA racers represented by the AFX cars were custom-built racecars; only the bodywork somewhat resembled the production car, as they ran to a very loose "silhouette" formula. These are the early versions; later itinerations had large, deep front air dams, and much larger rear wings.....

Comment

Great discussion!

At the end of the day they are simply cool slotcars.

Wish they fit a Tyco.

Comment

Great discussion!

At the end of the day they are simply cool slotcars.

Wish they fit a Tyco.
              They do.........

Comment

There is definitely something fishy going on here ,

but I am darned if I know what!

...er, chum?
                Last edited by Slotbob; 10-17-2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Ok give me a day or two and I will snap a pic of the 1977 monza gt I had in 1978. 305 cid auto positrac rear and it was fast. Loved that car.

Comment

ps--Monza V8 trivia--changing one of the plugs, #3 or #5 on the drivers side, required removing a bolt from the LH motor mount and jacking the engine up (steering column interference)!
                    Sounds like my neighbor's 80's something Cadillac. To change the starter you had to unbolt the engine mounts on one side and jack up the engine to rotate the starter out of the C channel of the front frame beam!

Scott

Comment

Monza=Manta

Hi all

The german Opel Monza has a different design to the Monza car you mean.

Car companys often use different names in foreign countries for one and the same car and sometimes they label a different company name, too
                      For example, Opel is called in GB Vauxhall and in Australia too. In Brasil Opel cars have the emblem of Chevrolet.

The German Opel Monza was a total different car to the Monza on your pictures.

In my opinion the Monza is 100% based on the Opel Manta.
                      Take a look to these pictures, some race cars of the Manta are there too.

https://www.google.de/search?q=opel+...w=1920&bih=957

Cheers, Alex from Germany
                      Last edited by AL-FaTaL; 11-01-2013, 05:05 AM. Reason: typing mistakes :P

Comment

And, in other automotive trivia,
                        here is the Corvair Monza GT concept car (92" wheelbase!):

(Ethyl points out that "Monza GT" is written on the license plate...).

The slot car is not based on this one, either .

If you squint hard and fill in the blanks with made up stuff (!), you can see a similarity in the rear roofline to the production Chevrolet Monza (maybe).

Hoping to see Slotnut's former ride!
                        Last edited by Slotbob; 11-01-2013, 05:38 AM.

Comment

I had a '75 with the 4.3(262) sml block. That motor lasted until I finished building a 334. Styling was taken almost directly from the 2 Rotor corvette which was done in Italy. The 5.7(350) was a California only option. The worst part about them were their entirely useless brakes. Something that probably improved my driving skill and helped when I transitioned to scooters.

Comment

In my opinion the Monza is 100% based on the Opel Manta.
                            The Opel Monza was a coupe derivative of the Senator. We in the states were jealous.

Comment

hey, that looks like...

And, in other automotive trivia,
                              here is the Corvair Monza GT concept car (92" wheelbase!):

(Ethyl points out that "Monza GT" is written on the license plate...).

The slot car is not based on this one, either .

If you squint hard and fill in the blanks with made up stuff (!), you can see a similarity in the rear roofline to the production Chevrolet Monza (maybe).

Hoping to see Slotnut's former ride!
                              That Corvair Monza concept car looks a lot like a Marcos Mantula

Comment

Originally posted by Jesla View Post
                                I had a '75 with the 4.3(262) sml block. That motor lasted until I finished building a 334. Styling was taken almost directly from the 2 Rotor corvette which was done in Italy.
                                The Two Rotor Corvette was designed by GM Design Staff and built by Pininfarina (on a Porsche 914 chassis).

To my eye, the Monza 2+2 body looks more like the Four Rotor / Aerovette. The Monza headlight treatment is close to the Two Rotor; the Four Rotor has covered lights.

Comment

Working...
                                X