motor mags up grade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor mags up grade?

Hey guys, I'm doing a complete over haul on this car and I'm wanting to up grade the motor mags. The motor mags are about the only thing that's stock in this car so why not up grade those to? Trouble is I'm clue less about which ones to get. Any suggestions would be welcome.( 440x2) Oh and is the price of a set of after market motor mags really worth the $$$$. Will there be any noticeable performance gain?

The problem with the 440X-2 chassis is that the motor magnets are not as close to the rails as with the other modern inline cars, so if you stick with ceramic magnets the car will not handle as well as other makes like Tomy SG+ and Lifelike M types. BSRT made special ceramic motor magnets for the 440X-2 that close the gap somewhat, but were rather expensive. The actual improvment was a tenth of a second on my track. I have tested those magnets and with them the car will not handle quite as well as a Tomy or Lifelike. If you want to equalize the performance of the three brands you can run silicone on sponge tires on the Tycos and slip on silicone tires on the other two, or you can just try different tire diameters.
    I see that Scale Auto now has ceramic grade polymer motor magnets for the 440X-2, they may be a bit stronger than the ceramic ones were, but I have not tried them. The magnets are $12 a pair and probably would not be legal for formal racing. You can get regular polymer motor magnets for these cars, but they are too strong to use with a stock armature.
    Last edited by RichD; 12-16-2013, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Wizzard, also have magnets.

Comment

It is wise to look at changing motor mags, traction mags and armatures collectively, or plan for some burnt-up arms....

Comment

The 440X-2 polymer motor magnets offered by Wizzard are probably intended for Modified and RO cars or they would be called ceramic grade polymer magnets. It would be best to call Wizzard and check on that. Several grades of polymer traction magnets used to be listed for these cars on the Wizzard site, but I was unable to find them today.
          I would not use full strength polymer motor or traction magnets with a regular Tyco 6 ohm armature.

Comment

Maybe I was not clear when I said the only thing stock on this car are the motor magnets. The arm is 2.8ohm, silver barrels, silvers brush springs, 80% copper brushes, silver shoes, double silver shoe springs. 23 tooth gear, .280 hubs with .442 A "soft" compound super tires , Level 42 traction mags. This car was built with the sole purpose of racing my buddys Mega Gs in what we call are unlimited class which is no rules, run what ya brung! solely at the Thunder Dome when he takes a notion to show up.

Comment

Wizzard used to carry two different strengths of polymer motor and traction magnets for the 440X-2, those don't seem to be available right now. BSRT and Slottech also had equivalent magnets, but those are no longer listed. I gather that you are using a hot stock greenwire arm. Those are very fast with polymer magnets, but they do not have high temperature wire, so they can be fragile. If you build a new motor with that arm and put in new brushes they must be broken in gently or the armature could burn up. What are you using for brush springs?

Comment

Wizzard .006 silver brush springs
                Originally posted by RichD View Post
                Wizzard used to carry two different strengths of polymer motor and traction magnets for the 440X-2, those don't seem to be available right now. BSRT and Slottech also had equivalent magnets, but those are no longer listed. I gather that you are using a hot stock greenwire arm. Those are very fast with polymer magnets, but they do not have high temperature wire, so they can be fragile. If you build a new motor with that arm and put in new brushes they must be broken in gently or the armature could burn up. What are you using for brush springs?

Comment

RF
                  If you have anything stronger than ceramic mags, even if only stronger traction's, switch out to .007 brush
                  and .010 pick ups.
                  Keep your shoe tension stiff.
                  When you add HP (arm or magnet) you make heat, those springs will help in keeping a low temp and proper tuning.

Comment

Years ago HOCOC was having a race for Restricted Open cars. I had a couple of those, but since I had never actually raced them I figured that I was likely to crash a lot. HOCOC only allowed 6 crashes, 7 crashes and you were out of the race. I built this car, which is really a Restricted Open, except that the armature is BSRT's version of the greenwire armature. As it turned out my strategy worked out, my car was plenty fast enough and by the second to last heat I was the only one that had not crashed out. It is too bad that I can't remember which brush springs I used, possibly 0.006 inch high temperature steel ones from Wizzard. I have a half dozen Tyco 440X-2s with hotstock greenwire armatures and polymer traction magnets, usually stock Tyco springs work well with those if the motor brushes get a gentle break-in, otherwise they get too hot and collapse.
                    I stumbled across this car the other day while I was looking for something else and put it on the track just for kicks. It turned my 50 foot MaxTrax in 2.2 seconds, the track record is held by a Wizzard P3 RO car at 1.8 seconds.

Last edited by RichD; 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X