Rail hight ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rail hight ?

TWtylers thread on bent track got me to thinking,. I have several pieces of tyco 15" straights that the rail is low in the middle. Its bad enuff that if a car has shoes that are at all worn it causes big loss of contact. I've tried pushing them up from the under side but that don't work. Any ideas on a fix?

Rad,

Well, it occurs to me that you could attempt to "pull" them up with a strong magnet, I have heard of that happening with strong traction magnets.

But it also occurs to me that you may be able to drill through the plastic in the approximate lowest point(s) beneath the rails and push the rails a little from the underneath side to raise them.

Also, figure out a way to support the plastic (like a vice opened slightly with something soft on the "jaws") so that your "pushing" efforts are maximized.

Some things like a steady push, some require a sharper "blow", but be aware, the rails will bend--even in their vertical plane-- requiring additional work (ie filing/sanding) to get them flat again. Go slow until you develop a method.

Perhaps report back on what worked if you like, this is a relatively common problem.
    Last edited by Slotbob; 12-17-2013, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by radical faith View Post
      TWtylers thread on bent track got me to thinking,. I have several pieces of tyco 15" straights that the rail is low in the middle. Its bad enuff that if a car has shoes that are at all worn it causes big loss of contact. I've tried pushing them up from the under side but that don't work. Any ideas on a fix?
      I have some 18" curves like that. I push em up from under and put a dab of superglue at the bottom, but it is hit or miss at the moment. I would also like to find a better solution than that.

Comment

the superglue is a nice addition!

Comment

Or you could try drilling a small hole under the offending rail, screw in a self tapping screw adjust to the rail height that you want.

Comment

I bought a bunch of 18" Tomy curves, many of which seem to have their outside lane rails a bit too low. I "fixed" them by turning each piece upside down and pushing the rail back up at the "attachment" points that are exposed. Then, for each point, I shoved the end of a pointed, round toothpick into the space vacated by the shifted rail and cut the rest of the toothpick off.

A couple of times, I ended up with the rail too high, but was able to fix that by placing a block of wood on top of the offending track and hammering down on the rail until it was in a better position. Those toothpick ends stay in there and they've been good to go since.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackstack View Post
              I bought a bunch of 18" Tomy curves, many of which seem to have their outside lane rails a bit too low. I "fixed" them by turning each piece upside down and pushing the rail back up at the "attachment" points that are exposed. Then, for each point, I shoved the end of a pointed, round toothpick into the space vacated by the shifted rail and cut the rest of the toothpick off.

A couple of times, I ended up with the rail too high, but was able to fix that by placing a block of wood on top of the offending track and hammering down on the rail until it was in a better position. Those toothpick ends stay in there and they've been good to go since.

Great fix, simple and cheap.

Charlie

Comment

I have used a small file and filed away the plastic as much as needed on each side of the rail on the racing surface. This allows the shoe to drop down touching the rail. Works for me!

Comment

I'm liking that idea thanks for the tip.
                  Originally posted by MrGilbwrench View Post
                  I have used a small file and filed away the plastic as much as needed on each side of the rail on the racing surface. This allows the shoe to drop down touching the rail. Works for me!

Comment

Mr G,

Thank you for chiming in... been there, done that--successfully too.

At one time I was soldering joints from the top side (!) and this was required (along with plastic putty and more than a few tears {!}).

However, in retrospect, I am thinking that it wasn't quite as good a finished product as adjusting the rails relative to the plastic.

Have you ever attempted to adjust them...?

Thx again for helping out Rad. Adjusting the track height relative to the rail certainly remains an option.

Comment

Working...
                    X