Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Guide installation; Tomy AFX mega G on Carrera GO track

Hi,

I made a YouTube video about the installation of a HO RacePro Narrow Slide Guide (SGN 8910).
    Now we can drive Tomy AFX mega G Formula cars on a Carrera GO track!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWrNdnTNYyM&list=TL9XNSYXhvIW0aXn9X2IYFBCj BvewjbjIm"]Slide Guide installation; Tomy AFX mega G on Carrera GO track - YouTube[/ame]

Use an extra small and flat M2.5 (=US Nr.3 =3/32") nut and NSR 4824 ultraflex silicone 1.2mm thick motor wire. The nut will form threads as you screw it down. A nut is superior to the standard (not shown) glue-on collar.

Here in the Netherlands we have problems buying Tomy AFX track parts. However Carrera GO track parts are plenty in the shops overhere and sometimes for low prices. So we can build very large circuits.

We like the combination of the HO cars and the Carrera GO track very much.
    + The magnets of the car have approximately the same force on the track as on the Tomy AFX track.
    + The sound the HO cars make on the track is even better as the 1:43 scale cars and much better as on the Tomy AFX track.
    + The distance between the lanes and cars, is more natural (see the pictures).
    + The tracks have a good quality and a good electrical conductance.
    - Disadvantage: the Carrera GO track curves are limited to radius R1, R2 and R3.
    - Disadvantage: the track width of 4 lanes Carrera GO is the same as 6 lanes Tomy AFX.

Cheers,

Hans
    Last edited by ginkejw; 03-08-2014, 01:25 PM. Reason: Pictures

Love the idea of a nut to hold the guide. I havent had problems with the nylon ones so far, but also great for adding a little nose weight right where it is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by oneredz View Post
      Love the idea of a nut to hold the guide. I havent had problems with the nylon ones so far, but also great for adding a little nose weight right where it is needed.
      Hi Oneredz,

The idea with the nut is from Ed Bianchi himself. He uses a nut on his custom cars.
      For the Mega G this nut has to be extra small/flat not to interfere with the front axel.

Best Hans

Comment

Originally posted by ginkejw View Post
        Hi Oneredz,

The idea with the nut is from Ed Bianchi himself. He uses a nut on his custom cars.
        For the Mega G this nut has to be extra small/flat not to interfere with the front axel.

Best Hans
        I haven't had any problems with them coming loose on my AFX and AW cars, but the nut is good insurance. I also like the toothpick idea, my wires are just jammed in there.

I had my GO track up for awhile and did a good bit of testing on the wide and narrow guides. The narrow guides work fine on the GO and larger tracks as you know, so I will only be ordering narrow guides from Ed in the future. As for the car wiring, I just ran it straight, instead of swapping the wires for the larger tracks, that way I don't have to make any changes for running on HO tracks.

On the F1 Megas, I found that the wire can be run up the nose tunnel and is completely hidden. If the guide is dyed black, you will not even see it when the car is on the track.

BTW, is your Parma set up for brakes on the GO track? If not, you can search for my GO power track mod thread in the 1:43 forum, or I have posted it out on that interweb thingy. I think I called it Carrera GO power track wiring, or something like that.
        Last edited by oneredz; 03-18-2014, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oneredz View Post
          I haven't had any problems with them coming loose on my AFX and AW cars, but the nut is good insurance. I also like the toothpick idea, my wires are just jammed in there.
          The toothpicks stay very good in the brush tubes, there's not one coming loose.

I had my GO track up for awhile and did a good bit of testing on the wide and narrow guides. The narrow guides work fine on the GO and larger tracks as you know, so I will only be ordering narrow guides from Ed in the future. As for the car wiring, I just ran it straight, instead of swapping the wires for the larger tracks, that way I don't have to make any changes for running on HO tracks.
          OK, thats nice. I can drive the cars with the narrow slide guides also on my mdf track with copper tape and 2mm slot width.

On the F1 Megas, I found that the wire can be run up the nose tunnel and is completely hidden. If the guide is dyed black, you will not even see it when the car is on the track.
          Do you have a picture of this car with and without body? I'm very interested.

BTW, is your Parma set up for brakes on the GO track? If not, you can search for my GO power track mod thread in the 1:43 forum, or I have posted it out on that interweb thingy. I think I called it Carrera GO power track wiring, or something like that.
          Yes, I have the track wired for brakes. I don't use the original power tracks and packs, but soldered the wiring direct under the tracks. At the moment we use a laptop power pack at 18-22 Volt.

Cheers,

Hans

Comment

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...t=77674&page=6

post #162

you may need to zoom in a bit on the pics. I don't think I have a pic w/body off, but the shielded part of the wires should come out of the holes closest together. It looks like that is how you have the SG threaded already.

I think pic 3 is the best one to illustrate what I did. I haven't painted the guide yet, but I have done it on some of my xtracs and it all but disappears when the car is placed on the track.

For wiring of the GO, I modded the power track for brakes (and got rid of that silly turbo resistor!) and use 2 12v 2A laptop PSs wired in parallel.

In pic 2 you can see where the wire snakes into the brush tube.
            Last edited by oneredz; 03-18-2014, 04:08 PM.

Comment

When I did mine, I didn't cross the wires, I just ran them from the guide to brush tube on each side.

Comment

Sure, it just depends on polarity of the other cars you will drive on the same track. So they will all drive in the same direction.
                Our other cars are mostly Carrera Go 1/43 on this track, that's why we crossed the wires.

Best Hans
                Last edited by ginkejw; 01-20-2015, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ginkejw View Post
                  Sure, it just depends on polarity of the other cars you will drive on the same track. So they will all drive in the same direction.
                  Our other cars are mostly Carrera Go 1/43 on this track, that's why we crossed the wires.

Best Hans

Makes sense. I just figured I wouldn't ever run the HOs against the GO and SCX cars I have so I didn't cross the wires over. That way I could run them normally with my unmodded HO cars on my Tomy track. I have about 1/2 my collection converted over, but the only SGs I have left are the wider ones for the bigger slots. I need to get some more of the thinner ones.

Comment

Working...
                  X