No announcement yet.

Playing Around With The Mega G 1.7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd make your own marks, and notes as to what they mean, but Woodcote's flip will work with any chassis in factory spec.

It increases or decreases the field around the motor magnets, and that is why the performance changes, and why there is a factory setting.

Comment

PPR - it's all about manipulating the interaction between two magnetic fields - one created by the motor magnets, the other by the traction magnets.

The car comes with the two traction mags pointing south pole down.

I get a sharpie (maybe green would work best here) and mark the bottom of both magnets - the green faces are now my south poles.

I remove the passenger side traction magnet and flip it - and what you get is more magnetic downforce on the rails and a little less RPM. So in terms of speed vs traction the car feels more grippy.

The opposite set up gives you a little less magneting ground force and a little more RPM. The car feels quicker and less grippy at the back.

How this happens - we're loosening or tightening the magnetic field around the motor. Loosening it gives more around the rails, tightening it is like using stronger motor mags. At least that's how I look at it
      Last edited by woodcote; 08-12-2014, 01:27 AM. Reason: green sharpie

Comment

Has any manufacturer ever oriented them in "High" or "low" mode out of the box?

Comment

Thanks that makes sense now... now the hard part how would you know if somebody swapped magnets around if running all box stock?

O yes I do have a pocket gauss meter so that would work.

Comment

I believe the SRT traction mags come pointing in opposite directions. However, I have quite a few Micro Scalextric chassis and they seem to come in all sorts of different orientation. And I have no idea about the Life Like Ts.

All the Mega-Gs we've ever come across are the same - suggesting there is tooling that specifically puts the mags in that way. That the SRTs come with a specific orientation suggests that AFX know the orientation matters for consistent handling characteristics between cars.

Although the above diagrams are pretty much guaranteed to work with all Mega-G chassis, they can't simply be copied with other chassis like the Like Likes and Micros - you'd need to match up the polarities of the traction mags with the motor mags, but that's fairly logical and you don't need to know the actual polarities...

Comment

Originally posted by PPRSLOTS View Post
              Thanks that makes sense now... now the hard part how would you know if somebody swapped magnets around if running all box stock?
              A field checker should in theory work.

I use one of the magnets in a telescopic holder and carefully bring the magnet in it towards those in the chassis

Comment

Slotbob

The SG+ magnets have a fixed orientation one positive, one negative and they are a different shape each side so cannot be flipped nor moved.
                However all the examples I have are in the high downforce mode.

Comment

Google 'BSRT g3 build lenjet' to see how to flip magnets in the SG+-based G3.
                  Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-23-2014, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Andy has the coolest graphics to explain things. Do you make them yourself Andy? Id so, what program are you using?

Comment

With the G's you can always re zap the magnets to change polarity. With the Storms there 16 different ways to align the tractions. Same with G3'ss and Slottech ss if you can rezap.

Comment

How can you have 16 different ways to align two magnets? Or are you including rotating the motor mags in conjunction with the tractions?

Comment

It can only be a combination of rotation and flip, although Bob doesn't say all would make a difference.

With square traction magnets you could actually have 48 options.
                          Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-23-2014, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Backmarker View Post
                            Andy has the coolest graphics to explain things. Do you make them yourself Andy? Id so, what program are you using?
                            Thanks Mike - I just use a cheap Desk Top Publishing (DTP) programme - PagePlus - and then export as a jpeg image file.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth View Post
                              How can you have 16 different ways to align two magnets? Or are you including rotating the motor mags in conjunction with the tractions?
                              I'd like to know this trick also.

Originally posted by woodcote View Post
                              Thanks Mike - I just use a cheap Desk Top Publishing (DTP) programme - PagePlus - and then export as a jpeg image file.
                              Thats not amateur work my friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth View Post
                                You could do that too.

4 side to each magnet then flip, is 4 more, flip the motor magnet (doesn't change the polarity) and make the same moves with the traction magnets as before = 16 combo's.

Comment

Working...
                                X