Playing Around With The Mega G 1.7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PPRSLOTS View Post
    Thanks that makes sense now... now the hard part how would you know if somebody swapped magnets around if running all box stock?

O yes I do have a pocket gauss meter so that would work.
    Or use a magnetix stick and mark the poles and use as a tester stick.

Comment

POSTSCRIPT/ FOLLOW UP- When I wrote my ORIGINAL conclusions, I had taken note of the winning combination having lower profile, silicone covered sponge tires from Wizard. As I have been transitioning over to this type of tire/wheel combination (I still use slip-on tires on many of my cars) , I had simply assumed the increased traction/ handling was due to the tire diameter and construction. What I had NOT taken into consideration (but have come to appreciate) was the narrower, round-edged characteristic of the tire, which allowed just the tiniest bit of "slip" through those tight corners. The wider and/or flat-edged tire didn't have the same "give"; it just pulled the car out of the slot sooner than the round-edged tire. When I started acquiring Viper Chassis, I noticed they all came with smaller diameter, narrower, rounded-edged tires. And they (being a advancement on the original Super G+ chassis, like the BSRT had been) handled every corner of my layout (Tomy sectional) and Fastlap's custom Bowman track with equal aplomb, on LESS tire!

So, why isn't the wider the tire, the better handler (for a given chassis) in the corners?

When it finally sunk in, I was embarrassed, because I should have known. It's because slot cars (unlike real cars) don't have a differential (which allows the inside drive wheel to turn slower than the outside drive wheel in a turn); they have a solid axle, so BOTH wheels turn at the exact same speed. Therefore, the WIDER the rear tire for a decreasing radius turn, the more chance the torque of that axle (and traction from wide tires) will flip the car out of the slot.

I have been experimenting with narrower Wizard silicone-coated sponge tires (both black, orange, and red colors), on all my "commercial" chassis: LifeLike (M & T); Tomy (Super G+,Turbo/SRT, Mega G); TYCO (440x2 "Pan" & "Narrow), and the results have been gratifying. Faster speeds in the turns (due to less torque-twist), especially the tighter turns.

Lesson learned? BALANCE the front end (whether independent or low profile/lightweight) with lower profile, high quality round-edged NARROWER rear tires of quality (whether you prefer slip on or combined with a wheel is up to you), go with lower profile pickups, and you are on your way.........
      Last edited by Speedhoppy; 09-21-2017, 05:45 PM. Reason: Additional sentencing

Comment

I always thought that those cars had narrower rear tires to make room for bigger traction magnets. You could try putting narrow tires on an older car with smaller traction magnets, such as a Tomy Super G+ or a Wizzard Patriot to see if the car would be faster.

Comment

Oh man! I totally agree. It makes a night and day difference.

Like many things "slot car" there is much lost knowledge. Champfering tires goes back to the golden age. I prefer both inside and outside champfering, because a chassis slides both directions. No matter what, you always have an opposing inside edge barking, while the opposing outside edge is biting. If you're REALLY loose, those subtle sidewall angles help you get across the rail, and back; if your lucky or good.

Additionally, as silifoams go, flow-able silicone over a sharp 90 degree sidewall isnt a reliable edge for the silicone to flow over, leaving the transition between the contact patch and the sidewall quite thin and vulnerable. Whether you are sliding your car around with abandon or just need a little slip at the ragged edge of adhesion, attention to the sidewalls is important.

As for the width? It's long been established by slot drag racers that "ever wider" rears isnt necessarily more efficient. At some point the added weight becomes a detriment rather than a tractive advantage. If memory serves Super Dave has some documented ET's that support the theory.

Comment

Working...
          X