• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done!

Comment

Looking forward to the pictures.

Comment

The May/June issue of Model Car Racing magazine (#75) has a new Auto World "Indianapolis 500" set with these cars (a picture of one in the "white") on the inside back cover. Judging by the picture, the chassis had had modifications towards the front to allow a narrow, lower profile Indy car body......

Comment

Here's the pics. I will say first off, the nose looks high, but clears the bank turns with no drag like other makes. The rest of the details make up for the necessity of the higher nose. The new parts and relocated traction magnet position really make a major difference in performance. It still has the adjustable brush barrels, so you can make some tweaks, but the new silver comm and the higher traction magnets really resolved the heat issues. I ran 100+ laps and did not see a drop in power and it only got warm, about the same as other mass made inline magnet cars. Auto World was obviously listening. The new hook shaped pick up shoes grealy improved the electrical contact also. Enough of my babbling, let's see the pics!

-Paul

Nose Compare to an AFX SRT

Length Compared to AFX Mega-G 1.7

Comm and Pick Up Hooks

New Pick Ups

Traction Magnet Height (Kinda Hard to See Here)

Comment

If it looks anything like the Indy cars in yesterday's race, I'll be getting in line for the AW cars. Those are some good looking cars!

Edit: Ha, he beat me by a minute. Looking good!
            Last edited by Boss429; 03-31-2014, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the nose does look like its a little high, but its still a nice looking car. When will these be available?

Comment

The set is due for a May release, hopefully before Memorial Day. Not sure about the single cars yet.
                These will have some nice graphics added by the way. This is a ready for production prototype. No word yet on whose cars they will be releasing.
                And the body in general sits no higher than the AFX open wheelers.

-Paul

Comment

I wasn't expecting much for looks but color me surprised and impressed! That looks fantastic. Can't wait to pick up some of these cars. Well done AW!

Comment

The rear wheels are the same as the first release. Oh, and the rear axle has been narrowed so the car will pass through a 1-5/16" tech block.
                    The front axle is mounted to the body, ahead of the chassis.

-Paul

Comment

Oh dear.

Although AW might have listened on some things clearly the perils of longer wheelbases and front wings was not one of them. I note the guide pin is a long way back.

I suppose they will mostly run on ''ovals'', but I suspect that they won't play nice in tighter turns on ''street courses''.

Paul, as you have a mega-G there too can you test my theory? When the same thing happened with that chassis you would see wings clipping each other, or even one car torpedoing into the side of the other.

Body overall looks good, considering it is not really a shape I like. I have to smile at a chassis where the four wheel-base options of mine were copied, and then, for this, none of them used! In fact I think the longest two have never been used, right?

Comment

Paul, just for kicks, I would love to see the naked AW chassis side view and it's height compared to the naked Mega G 1.7". What is the comparison of the wheelbases with the MG 1.7" and the axle of the AW in the chassis' most forward hole. Are they comparable? Thanks, gar

Comment

Looking at the pictures Paul posted raised a couple of questions, particularly the side on view with the SRT LWB open wheeler for comparison. You mentioned that the front wheels are part of the body, not the chassis. Does this chassis have axle holes for a shorter wheelbase option, or is it strictly for this Indy car body? Same side view, the chassis behind the cockpit looks to be right on the guide rails, yet the area where the guide pin / PU shoes are is very high clearance. If you can post a picture of the chassis & body separate, it would help to understand what they have done. I don't think I've seen an open wheeled HO slot car with the front wheels part of the body (not chassis), since the AFX version of the six-wheel Tyrell F1 car......

Looking at that overhead comparison with the LWB mega G, this AW car has an even longer wheelbase with a guide pin set even further back? I guess Nico and the others might be right, in that this will be for big ovals, and not for road courses, unless modifications are made........
                          Last edited by Speedhoppy; 04-01-2014, 07:39 AM. Reason: Additional thought presented

Comment

As an Auto World fan this is great news! Can't wait to get a few!

Good job AW!

Jim Norton
                            Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
                              Although AW might have listened on some things clearly the perils of longer wheelbases and front wings was not one of them. I note the guide pin is a long way back.

I suppose they will mostly run on ''ovals'', but I suspect that they won't play nice in tighter turns on ''street courses''.
                              Perhaps the ISU guide pin will work these??

Comment

Unlikely, but there may be other options.

Comment

Working...
                                X