Auto World Dallara indy Cars - Sneak Peek

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mad max meets batman!

Am staying tuned, & thank you for the info, pshoe.

Comment

Somebody has already added some Batman logos with photoshop.

Comment

Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
        Oh dear.

Although AW might have listened on some things clearly the perils of longer wheelbases and front wings was not one of them. I note the guide pin is a long way back.

I suppose they will mostly run on ''ovals'', but I suspect that they won't play nice in tighter turns on ''street courses''.

Paul, as you have a mega-G there too can you test my theory? When the same thing happened with that chassis you would see wings clipping each other, or even one car torpedoing into the side of the other.

Body overall looks good, considering it is not really a shape I like. I have to smile at a chassis where the four wheel-base options of mine were copied, and then, for this, none of them used! In fact I think the longest two have never been used, right?
        I ran these on my road course that has several 6" radius turns in it and had no problems navigating the turns. Yes the nose gets close to the outside lane in the tight turns. For my racing style, I just know not to pass there. Just like on real road courses, not every spot is a passing lane. Regardless of chassis or body style, I never looked at the 6" curve as a passing opportunity, just a curve to survive through. But that's my driving style, others like to be able to pass everywhere on the track and that's okay too. Like the Mega-G 1.7 Champ cars, the S-III Dallara won't be a car to use in tight turn passing. Guess it will have to make it up in the straights

Gary, I'll get some chassis pics up this evening. The Mega-G does sit lower, but I never thought to measure the difference. I'll get those numbers posted as well.

-Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Speedhoppy View Post
          Looking at the pictures Paul posted raised a couple of questions, particularly the side on view with what looks like an SRT LWB open wheeler for comparison. You mentioned that the front wheels are part of the body, not the chassis. Does this chassis have axle holes for a shorter wheelbase option, or is it strictly for this Indy car body? .....
          From the pics, it looks like there are 4 front axle holes in the chassis, but I cant be sure.

Comment

My original design had four holes, looks like they have kept that.

Comment

Originally posted by pshoe64 View Post
              Like the Mega-G 1.7 Champ cars, the S-III Dallara won't be a car to use in tight turn passing.
              Have you tried it against another car?

The MG17 has issues in 6s and 9s under the right conditions. The wheelbase for the AW car looks longer, and the guide a long way back.

Can you post what the wheelbase is please, and how far back the guide is?

Comment

1.9?

Given that I still prefer the proportions of the SRT back in an earlier photo, I am wondering how the AW width/length works out proportionally to a 1/1 car, assuming a wheelbase guess of 1.9 and a scale of 1/64.

Could it be that the point of diminishing returns has been reached? Or not...

Next up:

Last edited by Slotbob; 04-01-2014, 06:20 AM.

Comment

As I have mentioned before Open Wheelers tends to be long cars, and always have been. As such your singular preference for stumpy looks is at odds with those cars, and the growing trend to try for better scale fidelity.

With the back axle now moved in to the maximum limit the width of the AW car will be 1/59th scale. This give a 'correct' wheel-base of exactly two inches in one of th DW12's configurations and 2.05'' in the other.

If we lie and say everything is 1/64th scale then the wheel-base would still correctly be 1.84'' and 1.89''

The problem is not the wheel-base, it is the location of the guide pin.
                  Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-01-2014, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Until Paul posts pictures of the naked chassis, one cannot be sure of the design, but it appears then, that it is a "short wheelbase" chassis (judging by the guide pin location), that has the front axle mounted to the body to give the appropriate wheelbase length, rather than creating a LWB chassis like Tomy /AFX has. What I initially thought were "lightening" holes at the chassis front are actually axle holes to vary the wheelbase for other bodies they may mount?

It still seems to me that if this is going to be the trend going forward (longer wheelbase/ bodies), eventually the sectional track is going to have to be widened, especially between the slots.......
                    Last edited by Speedhoppy; 04-01-2014, 07:37 AM.

Comment

wow, I was actually looking at the AW body and thinking WTF is that s'posed to look like?!!

The pic above answered that, had no idea a current Indy looked like that :S

Comment

Originally posted by Speedhoppy View Post
                        Until Paul posts pictures of the naked chassis, one cannot be sure of the design, but it appears then, that it is a "short wheelbase" chassis (judging by the guide pin location), that has the front axle mounted to the body to give the appropriate wheelbase length, rather than creating a LWB chassis like Tomy /AFX has. What I initially thought were "lightening" holes at the chassis front are actually axle holes to vary the wheelbase for other bodies they may mount?
                        That is correct. I designed the original with four wheel-base options from 1.5'' to 1.8'' although you can only see three in the picture above.

I did mention to Mr Lowe I was not sure it was a good idea to retain that feature, and that my chassis had a kitchen sink approach. My concern was that short cars would not be possible despite including a wheel-base for them because the front grill would sit on the chassis instead of beyond it.

I never considered he would take what I did and add a fifth wheel-base.

Comment

Good to see AW investing in the hobby.

Good also that each of us gets to vote with our wallet!
                          Last edited by Slotbob; 04-01-2014, 07:56 AM.

Comment

So Nico you are saying you are to blame for the AW Super III ?

Comment

I'm saying it has the four wheelbases of my design, the boxy gearbox area too, and the holes for an allen key as well. This is all married to an attempt to copy the Wizzard front half and some overly thick shoes.

But that is how it has always been.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananasmoothie1975 View Post
                                wow, I was actually looking at the AW body and thinking WTF is that s'posed to look like?!!

The pic above answered that, had no idea a current Indy looked like that :S
                                Here you go:

Comment

Working...
                                X