Auto World Dallara indy Cars - Sneak Peek

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"...had no idea a current Indy [car] looked like that" smoothie

Yep, a praying mantis about to produce offspring.

We've come a long way, baby.
    Last edited by Slotbob; 04-01-2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slotbob View Post

Good to see AW investing in the hobby.

Good also that each of us gets to vote with our wallet!
      I'm sorry I would not VOTE for that with YOUR wallet.....

Comment

Not a fan of the 2013 Indy body style.

Comment

If you look at that side shot he posted, the guide pin appears to be in the correct place if you used the holes in the chassis…so that may be OK.

Looking at the bottom picture though, that crown gear appears to be slam up against the chassis
          cut out, which MAY not leave much flexibility for using other crown gears.

Any hope a Wizzard pickup shoe would fit, or be made to fit with minor mods?

Comment

'Correct place' for what?

Comment

I'm hoping to run these in stock form against each other. If spare parts are readily available, this looks like it could be a relatively economical series of cars for our group to race. Our tracks have no 6" turns and very few 9" turns so concerns about corner passing shouldn't be much of a problem.

Comment

Are you tracks road courses?

Comment

Looking at the pictures currently posted, I was trying to see (as I don't believe it was mentioned by anyone) if there was a "secondary" electrical path, as that has been a criticism thrown at the Mega G chassis since it's introduction. The mention of a "hooked" pickup shoe as an improvement in electrical contact is curious as well, since there have been numerous posts decrying this feature on the Mega G pickups for this very feature; some recent postings even mentioned using the Tyco style pickups (with their "squared" hook) as an improvement!
                  As a disclaimer, I should state I am not familiar with running AW stuff (never appealed to me); I have mounted an AW Viper body on a Mega G 1.5, but that's it. I DO like the idea of a current Indy car body being available; but having the front axle as part of the body rather than the chassis (and that guide pin way behind it, which means the front wheels are being dragged across the corner) just makes me a bit skeptical (and keeping my wallet closed) until more info comes to light.......

Comment

Hopps--I think this shot shows a spring that doubles as a secondary path.

Wizzard-like, I believe.

Also shows just how far back the pin is...

Regardless of other details, the silver commutator is a thing of beauty!

Comment

The front bushing clip would be a nice addition to the 2015 Mega G, perhaps...

Comment

That spring was present on the MKI, yet they have changed the shoes.

Comment

do us a favor and pull that arm out and Ohm it for us! Might be other useful applications.

Comment

Lets have some more pictures too.....

Comment

I have been asking for a front bushing clip on the idea of a Wizzard bushing clip for a while now. Looks like folks were listening. Cool

Comment

Silver comm???

That bushing clip looks like a dead ringer for the Wizzard Storm clip. I have a few Super III chassis & Storm clips at home, will have to see if they match up ... just out of curiosity.

Not a fan of the front axle as part of the body instead of using the forwardmost axle hole in the chassis. Almost no way that front axle is going to align with the rear axle. ('course, many mass production chassis don't align front to rear either for various reasons, but this is even less 'control' than those.)

Not a fan of the guidepin mount (seems loose, but glue fixes) & location either.

Now to the silver comm. The silver brushes I've used in various cars wear faster than copper and create more 'dust'. How do you all figure this silver comm is going fare wrt wear & comm slot 'debris' as compared to copper? I know we're speculating until some hands on experience is available.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X