Adapter Track Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adapter Track Issues

I purchased some Tomy to AFX Snap Track adapters recently. They seem to be very difficult to get into the older track. Do they need some sanding or is there a trick I just don't know about about? I don't want to force anything and end up breaking track sections. Thanks!

I have some of them too, and decided it was worth it to just acquire tomy afx track instead of trying to use those. I forced mine on, and they worked, but if I recall right it bowed the old track. I did not try to alter them at all, maybe others here have and will comment on what they did to solve this.

Comment

yup the adapter track fit is extremely poor.
      I had to shave, sand and cut the adapter to properly snap into the older track.
      there is also a height issue on one side of the adapter and i needed to shave with a blade to try and even out the surface. What i did was used a sacrifice piece of original track, fitted the 3" adapter track that original AFX track and glued it and fixed the height variation adjusted the rail height then used 2 original AFX track repair clips to re-enforce the joint between the original and new adapter. finally i had to adjust the rail height between the two tracks with a file.

it took me a few hours to make 2 old to new adapters because they were an odd size when completed so i needed 2 to be symmetrical. in short the new to old adapters are garbage when you take them out of the packaging and try to use them the first time.

Comment

yup the adapter track fit is extremely poor.
        I had to shave, sand and cut the adapter to properly snap into the older track.
        there is also a height issue on one side of the adapter and i needed to shave with a blade to try and even out the surface. What i did was used a sacrifice piece of original track, fitted the 3" adapter track to an original AFX track and glued it and fixed the height variation adjusted the rail height then used 2 original AFX track repair clips to re-enforce the joint between the original and new adapter. finally i had to adjust the rail height between the two tracks with a file.

it took me a few hours to make 2 old to new adapters because they were an odd size when completed so i needed 2 to be symmetrical. in short the new to old adapters are garbage when you take them out of the packaging and try to use them the first time.

Comment

Great. Wasted money, as usual I should have asked before attempting this. Looks like I have some experimenting to do in the near future. I am just glad it wasn't me overlooking something simple. Thanks!!

Comment

I bought a pair recently and they worked great. Try a little Armour All on the plastic tabs and some light oil on the metal contacts. That should make them "snap" into place!

Jim Norton
            Huntsville, AL

Comment

SGM,

I have used lifelike and Autoworld adapters, and there has been some challenge with both.

But, as mentioned by others, stay after it and you can usually get something to work.

Line up the pieces and look critically at each as they go together. If something needs modification, do it a little at a time.

You can probably permanently attach one or both ends after modification if absolutely necessary.

Point being, stay after it, you will get there!

--I would probably start with Jim's lube-em-up procedure and move forward, least aggresive stuff first...
              Last edited by Slotbob; 05-21-2014, 04:41 AM.

Comment

OK!! I am down to one last section that needs an adapter. I have 5 adapters left. This is the one that needs help of course. The crucial part is that it attaches to the old AFX Data Control Center, not the dead strip section as luck would have it. If I break something I am going to lose my mind. Much care will be given in the final prep of all pieces, assuming all this old stuff still works to my hopes! One piece at a time and I will try to leave the adapted sections together as best as I can. Fingers crossed! I really have to learn how to post pics here!! Thanks for the tips!!! I shall be victorious!!!

Comment

Is WD40 OK? I don't have any ArmorAll in stock. Also, is there some technique to the snap that I am missing? What is the Quikee-Lok Key that is mentioned in the Data Center instructions for connecting the track?

Comment

Originally posted by SGTGRIMREAPER View Post
                    Is WD40 OK? I don't have any ArmorAll in stock. Also, is there some technique to the snap that I am missing? What is the Quikee-Lok Key that is mentioned in the Data Center instructions for connecting the track?
                    The key, if I remember correctly, was a tool with two teeth or prongs set a bit apart from each other. Since the tracks locked together laterally, you would line them up with their tabs aimed at the respective receiving socket and put the tool into the screw holes on the track and twist and it would bring snap the sections together. I don't remember how effective it was or if it was better than simply using opposing thumb pressure to get them to seat together. I still have a small stash of original AFX sections, mostly with broken-off tabs and a small pile of the original track clips they ended up making since this was so common. Clever design in theory, not in real world application. Especially since as kids we took apart the tracks and rebuilt them constantly, the plastic couldn't stand up to that abuse.

Scott

Comment

Okay, here you go:

http://slotcarcentral.com/img/quickee-lok_key.jpg

The key fits in the slots which makes sense since being rotated, the distance between the screw holes would change as you turned it.

Scott

Comment

DANGNAMIT!!! Disaster has struck!! The metal tab on the Data Center track bent and snapped off during the straightening. I checked power and ZILCH in that lane. Nothing is easy. So much for a quick victory. The adapter went together too easy after a little WD40... SOOOOOO.... any suggestions for the broken steel tab?!! I don't know how to solder yet but I see that in my future. As always, thanks for all the help race fans!!! Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SGTGRIMREAPER View Post
                          DANGNAMIT!!! Disaster has struck!! The metal tab on the Data Center track bent and snapped off during the straightening. I checked power and ZILCH in that lane. Nothing is easy. So much for a quick victory. The adapter went together too easy after a little WD40... SOOOOOO.... any suggestions for the broken steel tab?!! I don't know how to solder yet but I see that in my future. As always, thanks for all the help race fans!!! Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!!!!
                          If I understand your problem correctly, I did repair the metal tab on a piece of old AFX once. What I did was to use the dremel and a cutoff wheel to shave a slit next to the rail, just wide enough for me to jam another piece of rail in which extended beyond the end of the track and was then bent to form the tab. The slit length was very short, about 1/2". It actually worked and it was not noticeable. The trick is not to mess up cutting that slit.

Joe

Comment

Another solution: Permanently attach the two offending pieces and solder a jumper from one to the next --much like a power tap.

Or use a power tap per se.

Theoretically, if ALL of your other joints are perfect, one break won't hurt, but I would probably do something.

I like Grand's solution as well, possibly better than those above.

Comment

I have discussed the jumper and the repair tab with a buddy at work. We may attempt a fix this weekend. THANKS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X