AFX G-Plus Foyt "Coyote" Indycar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFX G-Plus Foyt "Coyote" Indycar

In Tampa, Florida last week, I found this while rummaging through a box of unsold cars at a local hobby store:

I belive this car was released in the early '80's, so that would make this "new/unused" car more than 30 years old. As much as I would like to take it out and try it, I think I'm better off leaving it as is........
    Last edited by Speedhoppy; 05-20-2014, 08:54 AM. Reason: Picture assed

Nice find!!

Originally posted by Speedhoppy View Post
    In Tampa, Florida last week, I found this while rummaging through a box of unsold cars at a local hobby store:

I belive this car was released in the early '80's, so that would make this "new/unused" car more than 30 years old. As much as I would like to take it out and try it, I think I'm better off leaving it as is........

Comment

As much as I would like to take it out and try it, I think I'm better off leaving it as is........
      Depends on how much/little you paid for it and if you are thinking of selling it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jensen B View Post
        Depends on how much/little you paid for it and if you are thinking of selling it on.
        I paid $23.00; I originally was going to add it to my little collection of period open wheelers (both AFX / Tyco) I race around in my personal "vintage" events:

but since it's unopened, I'm not sure what to do.
        Last edited by Speedhoppy; 05-20-2014, 11:30 AM. Reason: Picture added

Comment

Life is short...

So, you have $23 invested.

Let's assume that in ten years it is worth double that.

Now--would you go through the trouble to sell it (ebay, a slot car show, etc)?

And, even assuming that you did, will using it for the next decade be worth $23 in enjoyment?

There are no right answers, of course, but I can tell you most of mine have no front spoilers, much less OEM packaging!

Comment

I paid $23.00; I originally was going to add it to my little collection of period open wheelers (both AFX / Tyco) I race around in my personal "vintage" events:

but since it's unopened, I'm not sure what to do.
            That is a nice little collection. I would add the Foyt car to your collection and look for the white one too.

The difference between that car MIP, and Used might be around 7$ as of now.

Tony

Comment

Guys, I'm not looking at this purchase as an "investment"; frankly, every car I've acquired (bought new, traded for, purchased used at slot car shows, etc.) and either cleaned up, repainted, and/or modified are run on my track; I have no "shelf queens". When I found this car, I had every intention of running it once I put new silicones on in place of the sponge tires (which look surprisingly in good condition for30+ years).

But the more I look at it, I am inclined to think of it as a "time capsule"; even the air inside of the sealed bubble package is as when the car was sealed in it's package. Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my old age, but I feel I at least for now I won't disturb what is both "old & new" at the same time......

Comment

I'm not sure that is the Foyt Indy car.

The real deal was a mail in car that you had to send the proof of purchase to get the car. I actually have one, it's probably the only collector car I have. It's orange, but is the same body as the one you pictured.

Here's a link to a pic:
                http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

Yours is still a good find, I did almost the same thing with the Ferrari can am car (drawing a blank on the number of the thing) but it was new in the package at the local Hobby haven.

Comment

double post

Comment

[quote=smalltime;841680]I'm not sure that is the Foyt Indy car.

smalltime, the car is a model of the Coyote, made by Foyt; it's just in another color scheme (AFX produced the car in several color schemes similar to mine). You are correct that the car A.J Foyt drove (and won the Indy 500 with) was orange in color. I believe that following this win, Foyt stopped making his own car, and started running other chassis.

Comment

Keep it in the package! You can find this car - The Indy Special - on Ebay for less than 23.00, I recently purchased one for around 12.00.

But, you'll never find one in the package for the price you paid. Keep it in the package and look for you a loose replacement!

Jim Norton
                      Huntsville, AL

Comment

I'm with Jim on this one. The car is pretty easy to get loose but you won't find many on the card at that price. And can I also add that your collection of F1s shown above is superb! Especially loving the Ligier.

Great find on the Indy Special too.

Comment

My folks used to collect Jim Beam bottles. Dad always said they were worth more empty. He was also a Foyt fan (we're originally from the Indy area). I'm sure he would have ripped the package open the minute he saw it, even today if he were still around. As would I.

Comment

... I am inclined to think of it as a "time capsule"....
                            That's exactly how I would look at it being in such good condition. Hang it on the wall beside your track.... nice little conversation piece at a very respectable price.

Cheers,
                            Michael.

Comment

Don't know why I didn't notice this before, but on the back of the blister pack (besides an exploded diagram and oiling instructions) at the bottom, was this:

1981 Aurora Products Canada LTD
                              Printed and Packaged in Ontario, Canada

I didn't get back into "HO" scale slots until 1985; so I began with the Super G+ & Turbo / SRT. I wasn't aware these were made/packaged in Canada. But the date (1981) confirms that this is indeed 33 years old (older than two of my grownup kids!).........

Comment

Working...
                              X