Individual Clear Plastic Storage Containers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual Clear Plastic Storage Containers

Some time ago, there was discussion about what to store one's cars in, to help protect from damage. Most of it centered around large cases, either custom or converted from Fishing Tackle boxes, which have removable containers one can section for cars:

But there are also individual plastic display cases for HO scale that are available, such as those from a company called Route 66:

This particular box contains my BSRT & Wizard examples:

These are small versions of what they use for larger scale die cast cars, and work very well for protecting special projects. I use them primarily to insulate those cars I have hand-painted, or are special in some other way to me. Here are all my paint projects, stored in this fashion:

All of the cars shown here are stored within the top shelf of my carrying case (Flambeau is the Mfr.) are double stacked as shown:

There are also other small cases (some in the picture above) I purchased from "Hobby Lobby" that also work:

Route 66 container (bottom opening) is on left; the other (top opening) is used to house small parts for hobbies/crafts. All that's needed is a foam bottom (cut to fit) for the car to rest on; make a guide pin hole, and the cars don't slide around, and the tires don't get flat spots.

Hopefully, many of you are already aware of these; but for those who are new (or did not know), here is another alternative.......
    Last edited by Speedhoppy; 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM. Reason: Pictures added

What section of Hobby Lobby can one find the cases?

Comment

I use the Hobby Lobby 'cases' too, only I mount my cars on the raised portion (which you are using as the 'lid') using double-sided foam tape. The wheels dangle, so no flat spots ... although I use these mainly for my "shelf queens" anyway and they have 'pretty' tires vs racing tires, so the flat spotting is kinda moot in my case anyway.

For the race cars, I store them in bulk in Plano 3600-style boxes (9 - 12 cars per box, depending on the style of box). Race day, pull out the box or two of car types that we're racing and load them into my Plano 7271 box then head for the car.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Green Destiny View Post
        The organizer section, generally near the beads and such.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by theroad87 View Post
          The organizer section, generally near the beads and such.
          Mike
          Our HL has clear boxes in several different areas. By the beads and also against a far wall by glass containers, etc. You will probably have to ask or just wander!

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Green Destiny View Post
            The "Route 66" cases are usually in with the car models; they will have all their available sizes there, just look for the ones for 1/64 scale.

The cases with the lift off lid (my second choice if the Route 66 ones aren't available) are in the section for storage of beads, and small parts. You can also find some nice plastic tubes for holding tires, pickup shoes, and other small parts there......
            Last edited by Speedhoppy; 06-18-2014, 07:47 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Mess of beautiful cars there!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll try to stop by my local Hobby Lobby this Saturday-not Sunday though.

Comment

Originally posted by Super G Man View Post
                  Mess of beautiful cars there!
                  Thanks, Super G Man! I have a few more paint projects getting ready to start (including structures), now that it's warmed up where I live; I will post them when complete.

I noticed you hail from Lenexa, Ks. (west side of K.C.); I have a Brother in law there, and frequently stop off before going on to Wichita to visit my wife's family. You have a club there?

Comment

There is a good size club here that primarily races TJets I think. I met a couple of the guys and have seen one of the tracks but I like magnet cars and am not sure they race them. The one track I have seen is beautifully landscaped and the owner told me he didn't run magnet cars on it because they destroy his hard work when they crash. I buy and sell and customize slots and that is enough for now. My daughter went to WSU and still lives in Wichita. Contact me next time you are passing through if you like.

Here is a link to the club. www.mahorkc.com

Comment

I grew up on Leawood, KS (a long time ago!) and still have family in Lee's Summit and NKC. We get up there occasionally.

Charlie

Comment

Shoot me a PM if you come. Maybe we can't get together and talk slots

Comment

Working...
                        X