Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFX Chicane Track

Anyone use these?

are the slots closer together than normal track width do the cars hit together on these tracks?

was thinking it may be nice to put like 4 in a row and make some nice S es.

THANKS

The turning radii are unrealistically tight. Better to pair up 9's and 12's or 12's and 15's.

Comment

Tomy AFX Chicane

There have been posts about this item before, along with other "specialty" track pieces, such as "criss-cross" and "squeeze" tracks; even the "hairpin". I have used two pairs of these, in conjunction with a pair of "squeeze tracks" in between, to create what I call a "double split chicane". Here is the front entrance:

Here is the backside exit:

I have come to enjoy this particular feature, as it causes me to take better control of the car that negotiates it; in some cases, I've had to modify some of my cars to better deal with the quick change in direction. It also provides another location for a couple of my structures.
      Last edited by Speedhoppy; 05-21-2014, 09:16 PM. Reason: Pictures added

Comment

We are using these in a current for lane configuration as outlined below. Great fun and dependable operation.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=78388

Jim Norton
        Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks guy's they do look tight... but I bet they would slow things way down if you had like 4 in a row in your layout in one section.

Comment

Chicanes & Esses........

Originally posted by PPRSLOTS View Post
            Thanks guy's they do look tight... but I bet they would slow things way down if you had like 4 in a row in your layout in one section.
            The whole purpose of a chicane (either for full-sized racecars or scale) IS to slow things down. That being said, that does not mean you cannot get through these at a reasonable speed; you just have to set up the entry to the chicanes (or in my case, double chicanes) prior to entry.

I run Tomy/AFX, Tyco/Mattel, LifeLike with short & long wheelbase versions through mine, and I don't have to "crawl" through; my biggest concern is hitting the inside vertical barriers I've erected to protect the overhead "bar" at the entry (my choice; I could remove them and go even faster).

If you are trying to create "esses", use smaller 9" & 6" segments at the entry/exit, and use standard lenth 9" & 6" segments in between. This is what I would have if I wasn't using the chicanes I have now.........

Comment

I was thinking of connecting them together ..you can do this in a way to retain a straight line so you can put it in lets say one of your straights?

I wonder what they look like when you put two together in this way did you ever do this ... If you did do you have a photo of them together ?

Comment

Originally posted by PPRSLOTS View Post
                I was thinking of connecting them together ..you can do this in a way to retain a straight line so you can put it in lets say one of your straights?

I wonder what they look like when you put two together in this way did you ever do this ... If you did do you have a photo of them together ?
                Unfortunately, I don't have a current picture. But if you are using Tomy sectional track, you have access to the pieces you would need to accomplish this. You would not even need to use the pieces I described; you could make it either larger radius (for more speed) or tighter radius, depending on what you want to try to accomplish.

Here is an example is used with 9" & 6" segments, for a tight chicane:

With the variety of diameters/segments available from Tomy, you should be able to create almost anything you want. The only way to get more flexibility is with custom track (like "Brad's Trax").......
                Last edited by Speedhoppy; 09-14-2015, 08:16 AM. Reason: Pictures added

Comment

Thanks will think about this option.. was just a idea to add a little POP to the layout.

Comment

When I had a two lane track I used the Tomy chicane pieces with Mega G (both wheelbases) and they were challenging but fun. When possible it's amusing to orient them so the cars are coming towards the drivers so they can see how the cars are reacting.

Mr. Norton's very clever configuration for use on four lanes (see his link above) is a great idea.

Of course, in 1:1 circuit design chicanes are often added at the beginning of long straights to slow top speeds, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of the OP's nice long straights!

Comment

Those look like some nice applications of that track!

Don't be afraid little ones….driving harder tracks will make you a better racer!

Comment

Working...
                      X