Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comparing Modern HO Scale Inline Chassis (2015)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Modern HO Scale Inline Chassis (2015)

Discuss the Article Here.

Click Here to Go Back to the Article
    Last edited by pshoe64; 04-16-2015, 10:50 AM. Reason: Image Update

Great work Paul, that is wonderful information. Thanks.

Charlie

Comment

Thank you this is just what I wanted to see and digest. As far as improvements all of these with the exception of the Auto World Super iii which already has great magnets and the fact they are adjustable on this car greatly benefit from better magnets and from what I have purchased from Lucky Bobs upgrade traction magnets go from $6.00 to $13.00 and really change the way a car handles. Tires of course are the next big improvement ! and slip ons go from $2.50 to the sponge silicones mounted on wheels $8.00 to $9.00 . For my money and you may disagree the Auto world Super iii comes with more good parts with the exception of crummy gears (change to Tyco's) and drill out the rear bushing to .062 only the rear and you have a killer machine I still believe this to be true . The Super iii is my fastest car ever consistently. Next favoriate and fast is upgraded Tycos with traction magnets and new step down motor magnets . I like the speed of the Super G Plus cars BUT they don't handle as good as the Autoworld or Tyco even with having changed the magnets and Chassis from a Viper conversion. I also have been expermenting with tires, Gel claws and brown super tires on .275 wheels but still very hard to drive. So lets compare notes and info :-)
      Last edited by rickvox; 04-16-2015, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Awesome analysis Paul.

I wish that SRT were part of the analysis but I do recognize that they aren't actually relevant these days.

Comment

I have one MegaG+ that came in the new #61 Black and Blue Merc C9. I was blown away how well the box stock chassis handled the track with a Monza GT body. Will I switch from the Super G Plus......no. only because we all have parts stacked up to keep them running in three classes we have house rules for ... Pure Stock, Stock, and Super Stock.

Comment

Interesting read. Sounds like the Mega G+ is going to be a good chassis for a lot of us garage and basement dwellers with relatively small tracks going forward. I might wish I have a 14 foot front straight, but it's not going to happen any time soon, so cars that corner are appreciated.

Comment

Great work and a lot of it, for sure.

As a member of the tyco faithful, was pleased to see how competitive they still are.

Comment

Running all the cars at 14 volts is intriguing. With that in mind, the handling issues reported for some of the cars were a little surprising. The AW Super III cars have such strong traction magnets, I'm surprised you even had to let up on the throttle.

Comment

I chose 14 volts because my old reflexes don't keep up well with 20 volts on the road course. I figured the data would be more useful with more "on the track" time than deslots. Simply a limit of the driver.

-Paul

Comment

Very nice report, Paul. Looking forward to the tire tests. How many brands/diameters are you going to try?
                    Last edited by Speedhoppy; 04-18-2015, 10:38 AM. Reason: Changed question......

Comment

I have only anecdotal evidence to be sure but as I noted in the other thread about the new setup I have with the 120 ohm controllers and dual power supplies, I would concur with Paul's report IF the power supplies are at 'Intermediate' (probably not too far off the 14 volt test).

On 'expert' level which I gather is 22V or thereabout - the Mega G+ cars accelerated at a rather completely unmatched by the Mega G cars, the Tyco 440-X2 cars or the one working Super G+ car that I own.

Comment

Wow. Just wow!

Jim Norton
                        Huntsville, AL

Comment

This is such a great work you should submit it to Model Car Racing Magazine. Its worthy of much more than eventually being lost in cyberspace. Preserve it in written form for future generations!

Jim Norton
                          Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Norton View Post
                            This is such a great work you should submit it to Model Car Racing Magazine. Its worthy of much more than eventually being lost in cyberspace. Preserve it in written form for future generations!

Jim Norton
                            Huntsville, AL

Great Idea Sir
                            Anything to promote the Hobby
                            bigman

Comment

Originally posted by white_n_az View Post
                              Awesome analysis Paul.

I wish that SRT were part of the analysis but I do recognize that they aren't actually relevant these days.
                              I was thinking the same thing

Comment

Working...
                              X