X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonez
    started a topic Big Project Progress

Big Project Progress

Many know I am finally building my dream layout in my retirement house and have asked to post status. So I am starting this thread to monitor my progress.

The track platform will be 10x22 on one leg and 12x20 on the other. Connected at a 30-degree angle so I will have to cut some of the AFX 45-degree curves to mate to the 30-degree section transition.

The track will feature four lane AFX track with mostly 18/15-inch radius curves and long straights. The main being 27-feet in length. Will also have some technical sections. The attached photo is my second iteration. I need to allow space for a model railroad. I will bring the railroad into the infield to create a passenger drop off as a scenic element.

The light boxes are on order and will feature Cree 2x4 LED troffers recessed in a drop ceiling "lightbox" that will be centered directly over the platform (same on the other 1:32 track). Once installed I will then assemble the wooden platform which will be a large plywood structure at ~36-inches in height. It will have lighted display cabinets along the visible areas for my slot car collection. I have many duplicate cars (HO and 1:32) that will never be run and will display them along the tracks. My diecast and plastic model collection will be in a separate cabinet along one wall.

I will post progress over the build. So this will be a while...

• slotking
    replied
    that is some sweet stuff

Leave a comment:

• Speedynh
    replied
    very clean wiring. congrats. Labels!
    LOL the PVC frame- clever solution!

Leave a comment:

• Revtor
    replied
    Amazing layout !!!

Leave a comment:

• Hippie459MN
    replied
    WOW! I am very impressed! Excellent job!

Leave a comment:

• Bonez
    replied
    I am 6'5" with a long arm reach. I planned out the layout so I can reach most areas in case of derailment or other issue. But with a large island style platform I have one area that is too far for my reach. Knowing how Murphy works I came up with a solution that allows me access to a difficult area.

Follows are a series of photos that take you from start to finish of my solution.

I placed six trees in specific areas that when removed provide mounting points for a PVC frame that I then place a plywood top to step onto. I weigh 205-pounds and it is more that strong enough. I am using a piece of wood I had lying around until I get to the lumber yard for a larger platform.

Misc 008 by bonez 300

Misc 009 by bonez 300

Misc 010 by bonez 300,

Misc 011 by bonez 300

Misc 013 by bonez 300

Misc 012 by bonez 300

Misc 014 by bonez 300

Leave a comment:

• Bonez
    replied
    Thought I would show some under platform wiring. Most folks have no clue the electrical complexity to make this operational.

Misc 005 by bonez 300

Misc 006 by bonez 300

Misc 007 by bonez 300

Leave a comment:

• Speedynh
    replied
    aha. thanks.

Leave a comment:

• MSwaterlogged
    replied
    That is one incredible toy room. The detail you put into that setup is unbelievable. Makes my head spin just scrolling through your photos.

Charlie

Leave a comment:

• Bonez
    replied
    Thanks Speedy.

I had my cabinet guy make MDF strips for my straight borders. The curved borders are available online.

My cabinet guy also provided the large MDF sections since he has 8x10 sheets (0.25-inch thick) and an NC cutter. He will most likely be used when I do the 1:32 track.

He uses my display cabinets on his website. The LED lighting is unique on how I engineered them into the cabinets.

Leave a comment:

• Speedynh
    replied
    forgot to ask how you made the narrow borders on the track (slot). did you cut the edges off of mating pieces to add on?

Leave a comment:

• Speedynh
    replied
    that's unbelievable. look at all those people! and they even came by train, no less. i love the flashers. (I have a couple of those too.)
    but all those detailed scenes- you're so talented. even a tugboat, a cargo ship and an REA terminal! wow
    (I used to have a mixed rail and train layout many years ago and it's one of my favorite things.)
    awesome job. thank you so much for sharing.
    speed

Leave a comment:

• Bonez
    replied
    I'm nuts...

Leave a comment:

• Bonez
    replied
    OK. I am taking the summer off to play outside.

I will be starting my 1:32-scale track in the Fall:

Misc 003 by bonez 300

And when that is done I will assemble the plastic models I have collected for my display cabinets (there is another row of duplicate kits behind what is shown):

Misc 004 by bonez 300, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Bonez
    replied
    Electronics for slots:

Misc 001 by bonez 300

Misc 002 by bonez 300

Leave a comment:

Working...
X