Advice needed to dye bare chassis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed to dye bare chassis

I'm in the process on breaking down some race cars and would like to dye some chassis. What kind of dye do I need ?

What is the process for doing this ? Any helpful suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Cliff

I've read that RIT dye works well, although I haven't tried it.

Comment

hi Cliff,
      I've done a few. some chassis don't take to it as well as others.
      I'm told that Rit dye works best, and you have to add vinegar to the mix and keep it just short of boiling.
      there are also some other threads on this.
      speedy

Comment

Just make sure it is legal if you race in other groups!

Comment

Bubba please explain more. Why would it matter what color the chassis is ? All I wanted is self identification.

Comment

Rit works well. Just follow the directions.

Comment

White nylon works best to have bright finished colors. Never tried to bleach first to remove color.
              A 'double boiler' works best. Place items to be dyed in a can with the water and dye. Place THIS can in a pan of boiling water and simmer for a while. Stir parts to avoid melting or scorching. Scoop a sample to check for color saturation until you have a happy color. Fix the dyed parts in vinegar and cool. Dye can be reused.
              Last edited by ramcatlarry; 08-11-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caveman View Post
                Bubba please explain more. Why would it matter what color the chassis is ? All I wanted is self identification.
                Some claim for Tjets it can be an advantage, doing something to the lubrication of the chassis....sounds like boo....but that is what I've heard.

Comment

after I boiled an dyed a cr4ppy grey mattel HPX2 pan chassis a couple years ago, it seemed to flex and twist a little less. I didn't put it in a fixture and measure it, but it sure seemed that way to our fingers. if nothing else, the minor color difference was cool, and it did seem to run a little better in a big-mag car with 'B' tires.
                  when I tried it on a real Tyco black one though, it didn't seem to make any difference, and it didn't want to take the dye either; it was obviously a different sort of plastic.
                  those are the only ones I tried.
                  speedy

Comment

Do darker dyes cover the chassis better ?

Comment

Believe it or not, most solid plastics are very slightly POROUS - meaning that they can breathe and absorb some other molecules within their structure. Add some oil to the dye water and the plastic will become slightly lubricated. Fill the pores of the plastic too much and they become stiffer. One good reason pre-dyed plastics do not re-dye well.

Know why aenerobic glues like super glue and Loctite are in plastic containers? They will harden in glass or metal containers. Never spray the accelerator within 5 feet of the container , either - it will suck it through the bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by slotbubba View Post
                        sounds like boo....
                        I don't think it is. Plus some rules might say chassis cannot be altered and dying would qualify. It is definitely a risky move for questionable gain.

Comment

Originally posted by slotbubba View Post
                          Just make sure it is legal if you race in other groups!

Bubba, dyeing chassis were deem legal at the meeting Sat. for the 2016/2017 season We missed ya !

Comment

If you boil a chassis it will indeed take up water and become more flexible. If you bake a chassis it will become stiffer. Over time a baked chassis could possibly pick up water from the air and soften up. Several makers offer thair chassis in different stiffnesses and that along with baking/boiling is a thing to consider when you build a car.

Comment

Do Wizzard chassis take dye easy .

Comment

Working...
                              X