Lets talk about the possibilities of the Jag 1.2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk about the possibilities of the Jag 1.2

First of all let me say this, my earlier experience with the Mega G 1.5 chassis made working on this very easy, what was surprising is the chassis ability to grip the track, run at 20 volts and did not get warm..you can check with Gary Fast on that note.

The chassis has some excellent performance capabilities. What we did was just scratch the surface and look what we got out of her.

Outside of some minor issues that have already been addressed with the manufacture, and they have already acknowledge that they are going to address them with a chassis modification and upgrade to the 1.4, hooray for them..cause they are on to something here, but not for T-Jet bodies. Thanks to my board mate TxCurbster, this is a prime chassis for casters to look at and play with.

We are already looking to do more work on her in the shop to see if the Marvin Tap along with other enhancements can be done.

Not bad for a car that was built in 15 mins....our set up:

Tyco independent front end, had to slightly open the front axle hole to .053 to accommodate the new front axle.

Added Silver brushes, kept the stock brush springs and barrows.

Added "Blue" plastic bushings form Scale Engineering. the tolerances between the bushing and the armature was so tight that we did not shim her, left it stock...for now..

Stock armature and rear pinion, stock rear axle and crown gearing and HC Slots Ultra narrow double flange rear hubs.

Front tire, .350 rear .434 Compound A Super Tire

If you look at her, you can see we created a "Tuff One" Stance with Inline performance..it's low profile will allow you put some interesting bodies on it....

If you look at the last pic, you can see how well she Grooved in......

Yo!
    Last edited by JLM Racing; 05-01-2017, 09:41 PM.

Wow, that's a seriously modern low chassis now. Should be fun to see 1:87 bodies doing serious laps on it.

Unrelated. How are you only getting tiny thumbnail pictures to post?
    I've never had any problem posting them full size ans I'm wondering if some people are having trouble. I copy the code from a separate browser tab.

Comment

Nice, glad you guys had a blast. I see you've got Mega G shoes on her.
      Whats the pickup spring pocket look like? I've not seen one of these yet.

Comment

Jim. my Camera takes huge pics and I have to reduce them to post, still trying to find the right reduction that will balance them out..

Blue the chassis is hard, not soft like a Mega G's..plus when you see the video of them running even I got to ask myself do we need the Tap on this one.....I'm telling you with the slight mods we added with out tweaking...these chassis get up and run...seriously....

Comment

It was amazing; the speed and holding ability that was achieved by Yo in the short time he thrashed on this chassis. He couldn't have put more than $8-10 of hop-up parts in this to make it run close to 35% faster than a tweaked stock Jag 1.2. I was able to run consistent 8.0-8.5 laps with only paying with pickup shoe adjustments and oiling. Wendell was running consistent mid-5 second laps after the mods he mentioned. I believe the future relocation of the guide pin forward as proposed will even make Yobear's car even faster to drive in tight curves. AND......Yobear is correct that this chassis ran as cool (temp) as you would want it while at the same time running as faster than any of the high buck rockets sold to the public.

This chassis will lend itself well to casters if they jump on it. I am already working on the Ferrari P4 and a 911 GT3 which will cover all the tires nicely.

Lastly.....if I could only get Jim to consider a long wheelbased version of the chassis for us open wheel guys. Or to share the CAD file for me to tinker with?
          This tight little chassis is just begging to be stretched and altered to be a big player in the realistic open wheel category.

Gar
          Last edited by fastlap; 05-02-2017, 06:25 AM.

Comment

When I post pictures I like to shrink them down to 600 to 1000 pixels wide, depending on the subject. When I view my original pictures those are 6000 pixels wide, I use ACDSee to view pictures and that automatically shrinks pictures to fit my screen. ACDSee includes picture editing software.
            Perhaps when the 1.4 version of the JAG chassis becomes available I will get one for testing.
            Last edited by RichD; 05-02-2017, 06:35 AM.

Comment

I'm definitely down for the 1.4.
              Anyone who like Thunderjets should have one even if just for the novelty of it.

Comment

Rich, get a 1.2 now and play with it....you will be glad you did...it will get you ready for the 1.4....that you will get for free (as a replacement when they become available)

Comment

Fast, I worked on mind already and tweaked it...Ski P/U shoes,( used the MG's they are far better) reworked the stance of the front-end..

Still debating about the Tap..I don't think it needs one...

Comment

What sort of lap time or other gain did the 'so far' tweaks make Yo?

Comment

Originally posted by fastlap View Post

This chassis will lend itself well to casters if they jump on it. I am already working on the Ferrari P4 and a 911 GT3 which will cover all the tires nicely.

Gary, I would like to place an order for a 911 GT3 Please....my team color's are Red with white , silver and black accents .would love to get the rocker panels very close to the track...for ground effects..

Comment

Originally posted by JLM Racing View Post
                        Fast, I worked on mind already and tweaked it...Ski P/U shoes,( used the MG's they are far better) reworked the stance of the front-end..

Still debating about the Tap..I don't think it needs one...

Yeah, doesn't sound like you need the Tap. Heck, you were running circles around the Viper, Wizzard, etc. chassis'. I think the MG p/u shoes were one of the biggest (best) mods for those tighter corners. It really seemed to come alive when you put the shoes on and the brushes started to break in!!!

Again, thanks for coming here. I really (as in REALLY!!!!) had a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by JLM Racing View Post
                          Gary, I would like to place an order for a 911 GT3 Please....my team color's are Red with white , silver and black accents .would love to get the rocker panels very close to the track...for ground effects..

You and Nick are the 1st on the list!!! I'll get your mailing address later. I may still have it for when I casted that abomination for you. I'll coctact you when close. It may be a week or so before I am casting that puppy. If you don't mind, I'll post a photo of the 911 on this thread.

Comment

Love what I am seeing. Thanks for sharing Yobear. I will have to get some when I get to work. I bet they would be a handful on my "gravity" track though.
                            Last edited by TXCurbster; 05-02-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
                              What sort of lap time or other gain did the 'so far' tweaks make Yo?
                              Hey Nico,

Out of the package the chassis has excellent speed but the factory tire heights were so tall the car was loose as a goose going around the track. about 7 to 8 seconds per lap which is respectable for a track that has over 100 feet of running surface,

With the mods I added I was able to get the chassis to run consistent 5.4's and 5.3's in the hammer lanes and 5.6's and 5.7's in the gutters...

The car ran cold for the whole 8 hours of testing no matter how hard we ran it...

Comment

Working...
                              X