X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SouthShoreRacing
    replied
    Originally posted by JimDouglasJr View Post
    I'm sure I'd get beaten up in the parking lot because I clobbered someone with a hundred dollar Wizzard car with a $9 AFX I picked up on ebay.

Besides, I'm into AFX Magna-Traction with little-to-no interest in modern stuff. Nobody racing them around here, anyway.
    Doubt it. Wizzard doesn't make Gravity cars. They are mostly home built. Only rules are that car has to fit through a tech block and there are no traction magnets (downforce is checked with a metal pin).

Leave a comment:

• JimDouglasJr
    replied
    Yes, NOS Magna-Traction still come up. What's wrong with the non-NOS variety?

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    I would have thought that all of those carded T-Jet arms were long gone, but out of the millions made there must still be some lurking around.

I am not sure if you can still buy NOS Magnatraction rolling chassis, but all of the parts are still available. Of course there are plenty of new Johnny Lightning/Auto world X-Traction cars around. If you fiddle with those a bit they are as fast as the original Aurora cars.

Leave a comment:

• JimDouglasJr
    replied
    Originally posted by SouthShoreRacing View Post
    Race Gravity then. Car has to fit through the tech block and can't pick up the tech pin (No magnetic down force). Use whatever motor, gears, etc. you want.
    I'm sure I'd get beaten up in the parking lot because I clobbered someone with a hundred dollar Wizzard car with a $9 AFX I picked up on ebay.

Besides, I'm into AFX Magna-Traction with little-to-no interest in modern stuff. Nobody racing them around here, anyway.
    Last edited by JimDouglasJr; 02-14-2019, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• xltjet
    replied
    I guess I held on to my carded T-jet arms too long!

Brian

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    This thread was never on track, so what the heck. At least it stirred up a discussion.
    The latest Dash 16 ohm armatures looked to be a good alternative to original Aurora ones, but they will not available much longer unless Dan Cashmer changes his mind.
    I see on another post that someone lucked into a whole box full of T-Jet rolling chassis, considering that Aurora made more than 35 million of those it is likely that there a lot more of them lurking around. I believe that it would be a good idea for any club that races this sort of car to have at least some rolling chassis on hand so that new racers will not have to scrounge them up.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    On a completely separate note (and apologies to Rich for going off topic from the Fray Armature thing, but what the heck, he's talking baseball now ... ) being as a lot of racers tend to ignore forums outside of their favourite scale, I would like to point out this one from long time SCI Member Dyno Dom.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    The "why" behind any rule is often lost in the mists of time. Why is baseball played on a diamond? I always thought that a figure eight would be more fun. I expect that most of the time the original intent would be to have a level playing field, thus parts that are not commonly available would not be allowed. As time goes by parts that were once easy to come by might become scarce, such is the case with 16 ohm Aurora pancake arms.
    We review our rules every year and we at least try to keep things on an even keel.

Leave a comment:

• smalltime
    replied
    Good.
    I totally get the tech block. I mean, the cars can only be so wide, etc. with track/lane width limitations.

What I don't understand is why there's such specific restriction on gear ratios, resistance, etc.

Let people build the best car they can. "Oh, whaaaa! You found a better combination of parts than I did! - WHAAAAAA, MOMMY!"
    Believe it or not, the original intent was to have the cars be as close to a stock t-jet as possible, with a few small mods. (wide stance and wider tires for handling reasons.)

Then the aftermarket can of worms opened up, and The organizers saw how easy it was to go pretty fast.

Then the gears came, and the tires, the front ends, the bodies, the axles, the brushes, the arms, and the pre-built cars.

Next thing you know, you can throw $170 at a T-Jet prepped for the Fray and and get beat handily all day long.

I feel that the organizers will adjust and try to steer back to the origins of the event.

It won't happen all at once........patience grasshopper.

Leave a comment:

• SouthShoreRacing
    replied
    Good.
    I totally get the tech block. I mean, the cars can only be so wide, etc. with track/lane width limitations.

What I don't understand is why there's such specific restriction on gear ratios, resistance, etc.

Let people build the best car they can. "Oh, whaaaa! You found a better combination of parts than I did! - WHAAAAAA, MOMMY!"
    Race Gravity then. Car has to fit through the tech block and can't pick up the tech pin (No magnetic down force). Use whatever motor, gears, etc. you want.

Leave a comment:

• JimDouglasJr
    replied
    Good.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    That sounds promising.

Leave a comment:

• smalltime
    replied
    I say let people experiment.
    That's already happening.

Everyone close to the event and the racing community knows what "no arms available" means to the growth of the hobby/racing opportunities.

There are experiments/options being explored by many groups and organizers.

I feel that there will be a good option come to the front soon. Maybe not for this year's Fray, but soon.

Let's all hope.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    I think what is needed is for the Fray bigwigs and top racers to commission a chassis and parts themselves, so there is a reliable source of alternatives to the 60s stuff - which should be dropped.

As Rich said, scouring eBay is no answer. Nor are alternatives that are not available to all, all the time.

Leave a comment:

• JimDouglasJr
    replied
    I say let people experiment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X