No announcement yet.

Fray Armatures Wanted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread was never on track, so what the heck. At least it stirred up a discussion.
    The latest Dash 16 ohm armatures looked to be a good alternative to original Aurora ones, but they will not available much longer unless Dan Cashmer changes his mind.
    I see on another post that someone lucked into a whole box full of T-Jet rolling chassis, considering that Aurora made more than 35 million of those it is likely that there a lot more of them lurking around. I believe that it would be a good idea for any club that races this sort of car to have at least some rolling chassis on hand so that new racers will not have to scrounge them up.

Comment

I guess I held on to my carded T-jet arms too long!

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by SouthShoreRacing View Post
        Race Gravity then. Car has to fit through the tech block and can't pick up the tech pin (No magnetic down force). Use whatever motor, gears, etc. you want.
        I'm sure I'd get beaten up in the parking lot because I clobbered someone with a hundred dollar Wizzard car with a $9 AFX I picked up on ebay.

Besides, I'm into AFX Magna-Traction with little-to-no interest in modern stuff. Nobody racing them around here, anyway.
        Last edited by JimDouglasJr; 02-14-2019, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I would have thought that all of those carded T-Jet arms were long gone, but out of the millions made there must still be some lurking around.

I am not sure if you can still buy NOS Magnatraction rolling chassis, but all of the parts are still available. Of course there are plenty of new Johnny Lightning/Auto world X-Traction cars around. If you fiddle with those a bit they are as fast as the original Aurora cars.

Comment

Yes, NOS Magna-Traction still come up. What's wrong with the non-NOS variety?

Comment

Originally posted by JimDouglasJr View Post
              I'm sure I'd get beaten up in the parking lot because I clobbered someone with a hundred dollar Wizzard car with a $9 AFX I picked up on ebay.

Besides, I'm into AFX Magna-Traction with little-to-no interest in modern stuff. Nobody racing them around here, anyway.
              Doubt it. Wizzard doesn't make Gravity cars. They are mostly home built. Only rules are that car has to fit through a tech block and there are no traction magnets (downforce is checked with a metal pin).

Comment

Wizzard doesn't make Gravity cars.
                What about the Thunderstorm?

Comment

Out of the box, that would not be legal. The motor magnets would pick up the lift pin. Typically Gravity cars are built with brass chassis and mini can motors. If you look at the Tips section of the HOPRA website, there are a few articles on building these cars. You can see what the chassis looks like.

Comment

Out of the box, that would not be legal. The motor magnets would pick up the lift pin. Typically Gravity cars are built with brass chassis and mini can motors. If you look at the Tips section of the HOPRA website, there are a few articles on building these cars. You can see what the chassis looks like.
                    So the G-Jet isn't legal either in your estimation? Both have exposed motor magnets of roughly the same strength. What class would these cars be allowed to run in? (the Slottech Thundercat also falls into this group)
                    Last edited by el gecko; 04-17-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Correct. Those cars have magnetic downforce. Several groups run G-Jets by themselves since they have the 9 ohm arm and tall wheels. Other groups have classes that allow the Viper, BSRT, Slottech, and Wizzard cars that have brass weights instead of traction magnets to compete together. Typically these classes allow a 6 ohm arm and some variations on tires (sponge silicon or slip-on). MARC, one of the clubs I race with, has a class called Open Weighted that fits this description. You can find out rules here http://marcne.com/marc/rules.php?season=15

Comment

It's really amazing that the G-Jet has been around for over a decade now and HOPRA still doesn't have a class to run it in (or any of the other brass weighted magnet cars)

Comment

...or maybe it's just time to relax the weirdly specific rules and exclusions for racing this now 50+ year old chassis.

Amen to that!

Comment

I heard a rumor that a dash arm was in the individual winning fray car.

Comment

It would be nice to confirm that a 3 lamination 16 ohm Dash arm was the winner. My own testing indicated that they are better than most NOS Aurora arms in stock form. I have not had a chance to true and balance one yet. For the 2019-2020 season the Dash arms will be legal for some HOCOC classes.

Comment

I have a whole bunch of t-jet arms. I have found that some junk arms work great in another chassis. Also some great arms are junk in another chassis.
                                The g-jet type cars do not compare to t-jets. no when they stick to the track upside down. the motor mags provide a lot of grip.

Comment

Working...
                                X