Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maddman
    replied
    You can't race with just junk. You have to race with the approved high price junk!

Leave a comment:

• JimDouglasJr
    replied
    Eeeeyup.

Way too many rules kept me from Fray. Well, that, and the chatty head of the local team telling me how expensive it would be to build cars.

They begged me to join when I dropped a Thunderjet of unknown origin with Tuff Ones wheels and a brass nut for a weight in the front in and easily kept up with the carefully built and tuned Fray cars with my $4 Aurora controller.

I wondered why it just couldn't be that easy. I suspected it was to level the field for the mediocre drivers.

I walked in with junk and kicked @$$, but that wasn't allowed.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    Until this year NOS Aurora rolling chassis and spare parts have been commonly available along with aftermarket gears, axles wheels, tires, pickup shoes, springs and motor brushes, so as far as I was concerned there was no problem with running under ECHORR T-Jet SS rules as they were a year or two ago. The only hitch for me was finding good armatures. I bought my first T-Jet when they came out in 1963. Most of my cars were stolen while I was in the Army. When I got out of the Army there was no place for me to race and by the time there was T-Jets had been replaced with the A/FX and later Magnatraction cars.
    I got back into HO cars around 1992 and started running in formal races in 2001. Since I had not run T-Jets for many years I had to start from scratch with those and it took a long time to have competitive cars. Gradually I mastered the finer points of tuning the cars, but the final obstacle was finding good armatures. The armatures found in late production NOS Aurora rolling chassis are usually not suited for competition. Eventually I found a source for good armatures, but those are no longer available.
    The people that have raced T-Jets from the earliest days certainly must have good armatures, for the most part I expect that they are the ones that have been writing the rules.
    Now NOS rolling chassis and spare parts are nearly all gone and it is time to reconsider the rules for this type of car. For a long time HOCOC has run Aurora and Johnny Lightning/Auto World cars in separate classes. When the T-Dash car came along we allowed those in the JL class. Maybe it is time to run all three chassis in the T-Jet SS class as long a 16 ohm armature is used. Whatever might be run should be commonly available. It would be nice if commonly available meant that most hobby shops and online dealers would always have them in stock. Having to scavenge ebay for stuff is not my idea of commonly available.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    So they could become the Fray (and other 'big' pancake races) chassis of choice?

The Dash would probably be better, but only if it is plentiful, on sale to all, and likely to be around 5-10 years from now.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    My club races the Johnny Lightning/Auto World Thunderjet 500 cars without the neo traction magnet. We run those with weighted front ends like T-Jet SS cars use, but they use slip-on tires.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Could the AW chassis be a viable option?

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    Dash products are now mostly being sold on a closed Facebook site, you have to be on a list to visit that site. If you are interested you might contact Dan Cashmer and ask to be added to the list.

Leave a comment:

• smalltime
    replied
    I can't find them any more.

I do not think they are available any longer.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    Dash Armature Testing

I did some testing with a Dash 3 lamination 16 ohm armature yesterday. I wanted to see if those would be competitive with a good worked up Aurora 16 ohm Fray/T-Jet SS armature. First I ran a T-Jet SS car with a Tornado arm that cost $28, the best lap time was a 5.691 on my ~50 foot MaxTrax. The car had a JL '70 Camaro body. I had faced off a Dash arm that measured 16.8 ohms on all three poles using a drill press. I epoxy balanced the arm using a magnetic balancer, it only took a tiny dab of epoxy on two of the poles to get the balance nearly perfect. With the Dash arm the car turned a 5.654, with the Aurora arm the car had a little more punch, but it was harder to get a perfect lap. With both arms I had the brakes turned on, but the control was turned all the way down. The track record with my best car using the same body is 5.527, that car cost $160.
    The Dash arms cost $6.99 or $5.00 if you bought ten at a time.

Leave a comment:

• SouthShoreRacing
    replied
    Originally posted by smalltime View Post
    The Fray doesn't run brakes. All of the other groups do.

It would be very hard for the dash arms to compete without brakes.
    Outlaws do not run brake. If it is a bigger track, you can do well with a DASH arm. That being said, you can absolutely get more out of it with brake.

Leave a comment:

• JimDouglasJr
    replied
    Originally posted by RichD View Post
    While there has been a debate on replacement armatures nobody has come forward with sources for Aurora armatures.
    How long did anyone really expect the NOS stuff to hold out? It's already an oddity-bordering-on-enigma that there have been so many for so long.

With so many armatures, magnets, and gears out there, and no spending limit, maybe it's time to just let people build fast, good handling cars with whatever combination of parts they happen to have.
    What's everyone afraid of?

Oh, wait, that the guy with the $15 car might kick an $80 car's @$$. Been there.
    Last edited by JimDouglasJr; 11-30-2018, 10:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    When I was testing the latest T-Dash chassis with the 3 lamination 16 ohm armature I noticed that I needed at least some brakes. Since the car had a 9 tooth drive pinion and my T-Jet SS cars mostly have 12 tooth drive pinions I was a little surprised by that, but I chalked it up to the large diameter of the rear tires. That car also had magnets that were about halfway in strength between the strongest T-Jet magnets and JL/AW or earlier Dash magnets. Switching to stronger magnets was a help. I have some Aurora Super II magnets that are stronger, I would normally put those in a car that has a rewound armature, but they may work with the new Dash arm.
    It looks like I may have a little spare time on my hands, so perhaps I will be able to test a worked up Dash armature in a T-Jet SS chassis. My club runs these cars with brakes, usually I have the brakes turned off or I might use minimal brakes.
    While there has been a debate on replacement armatures nobody has come forward with sources for Aurora armatures.
    Last edited by RichD; 11-29-2018, 07:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• smalltime
    replied
    Originally posted by SouthShoreRacing View Post
    HOPRA, The Fray, and the East Coast Outlaws all allow the DASH 16 ohm 2 lam and 3 lam arms.

At the HOPRA nats and in the Outlaws the 2 lam DASH arms have been competitive. They have cracked the top 10 at the Nats and have won races in the Outlaws.
    The Fray doesn't run brakes. All of the other groups do.

It would be very hard for the dash arms to compete without brakes.

Leave a comment:

• SouthShoreRacing
    replied
    Originally posted by RichD View Post
    HOCOC does not allow Dash armatures in its T-Jet SS class, the 2 lamination 16 ohm arms are allowed in several other classes that use stock Aurora armatures. We wanted to keep our T-Jet SS class in line with other groups that run that sort of car.
    HOPRA, The Fray, and the East Coast Outlaws all allow the DASH 16 ohm 2 lam and 3 lam arms.

At the HOPRA nats and in the Outlaws the 2 lam DASH arms have been competitive. They have cracked the top 10 at the Nats and have won races in the Outlaws.

Leave a comment:

• smalltime
    replied
    Originally posted by JimDouglasJr View Post
    ...or maybe it's just time to relax the weirdly specific rules and exclusions for racing this now 50+ year old chassis.
    Gee...There's an idea.

Change one rule.
    Allow any pinion gear. now your detuning the arm.
    Much easier circle to square.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X