Fray Armatures Wanted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slotking View Post
    I have a whole bunch of t-jet arms. I have found that some junk arms work great in another chassis. Also some great arms are junk in another chassis.
    Then they're not really junk, it's just that they need people like you to match them to a more compatible chassis. Toy cars - remember?

Comment

It is not the armature that needs to be matched, it is the gear plate that has to be matched to the base chassis. If the gear plate is not a match the armature will be tilted and will not perform well. If you have a fast car you can assume that the gear plate is a good match and you can swap other armatures in to see if they are good. Most of the time a poor performing armature will have visible defects if you know what to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by JimDouglasJr View Post
        Toy cars - remember?
        They may be toys to you, but there are many folks who are very serious about their racing programs.
        Racing slot cars is my only real outlet for my racing addiction. I take it very seriously and I NEVER consider slot cars toys.

As far as matching a gear plate to a chassis, I use the same method as I use for checking chassis flatness. Two gauge pins thru the axle holes and set the chassis on a tech block and look for the "rocky" from corner to corner.
        Now disassemble the plate and place the gauge pins thru the arm shaft and the cluster gear shaft, clip on the band and turn the chassis sideways. the two will never be perfectly aligned, but there are combinations that are VERY BAD, and others that are very close.
        Also, you can check for the fit with regards to the alignment dogs. Some allow the plate to move, and others are tight fitting and don't move at all.

Comment

In the case of A/FX and Magnatraction cars there are holes in the side of the chassis, so you can see if the armature is tilted. I have a number of JL/AW X-Traction cars that needed to have the gear plate re-aligned.

Comment

Originally posted by smalltime View Post

They may be toys to you, but there are many folks who are very serious about their racing programs.
            Racing slot cars is my only real outlet for my racing addiction. I take it very seriously and I NEVER consider slot cars toys.
            Oh, of course. I guess I wasn't clear. They were manufactured as toy cars. We've all striven to get the most out of them based on our own desires/skill/dedication.
            Parts swapping for compatibility is HO Slot Cars 101.
            Last edited by JimDouglasJr; 05-01-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X