X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RichD
    started a topic Fray Armatures Wanted

Fray Armatures Wanted

A fellow racer just asked me if I could spare a Fray/T-Jet SS type pancake armature, but I am out of those. The ones that I use have not been available for some time, so I looked over my list of bookmarks to see what else might be available. I already knew that Alan Galinko and Daniel Cardinale were out of business. When I checked Dynamic Armatures that was gone as well. The only places that I could find quickly that still have worked up armatures were Denis Rutherford's and ECHORR Jets.
    In the past I have paid good money for armatures that looked good at first glance, but were actually only mediocre performers on the track at best. That is what you get if someone tries to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You might be able to improve on a junk arm, but it will just be a better junk arm that will never win a race.
    So I was hoping that there still might be other active sources out there. Another area of interest would be people that do custom winds.
    Last edited by RichD; 11-24-2018, 08:15 AM.

• JimDouglasJr
    replied
    Originally posted by smalltime View Post

They may be toys to you, but there are many folks who are very serious about their racing programs.
    Racing slot cars is my only real outlet for my racing addiction. I take it very seriously and I NEVER consider slot cars toys.
    Oh, of course. I guess I wasn't clear. They were manufactured as toy cars. We've all striven to get the most out of them based on our own desires/skill/dedication.
    Parts swapping for compatibility is HO Slot Cars 101.
    Last edited by JimDouglasJr; 05-01-2019, 09:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    In the case of A/FX and Magnatraction cars there are holes in the side of the chassis, so you can see if the armature is tilted. I have a number of JL/AW X-Traction cars that needed to have the gear plate re-aligned.

Leave a comment:

• smalltime
    replied
    Originally posted by JimDouglasJr View Post
    Toy cars - remember?
    They may be toys to you, but there are many folks who are very serious about their racing programs.
    Racing slot cars is my only real outlet for my racing addiction. I take it very seriously and I NEVER consider slot cars toys.

As far as matching a gear plate to a chassis, I use the same method as I use for checking chassis flatness. Two gauge pins thru the axle holes and set the chassis on a tech block and look for the "rocky" from corner to corner.
    Now disassemble the plate and place the gauge pins thru the arm shaft and the cluster gear shaft, clip on the band and turn the chassis sideways. the two will never be perfectly aligned, but there are combinations that are VERY BAD, and others that are very close.
    Also, you can check for the fit with regards to the alignment dogs. Some allow the plate to move, and others are tight fitting and don't move at all.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    It is not the armature that needs to be matched, it is the gear plate that has to be matched to the base chassis. If the gear plate is not a match the armature will be tilted and will not perform well. If you have a fast car you can assume that the gear plate is a good match and you can swap other armatures in to see if they are good. Most of the time a poor performing armature will have visible defects if you know what to look for.

Leave a comment:

• JimDouglasJr
    replied
    Originally posted by slotking View Post
    I have a whole bunch of t-jet arms. I have found that some junk arms work great in another chassis. Also some great arms are junk in another chassis.
    Then they're not really junk, it's just that they need people like you to match them to a more compatible chassis. Toy cars - remember?

Leave a comment:

• slotking
    replied
    I have a whole bunch of t-jet arms. I have found that some junk arms work great in another chassis. Also some great arms are junk in another chassis.
    The g-jet type cars do not compare to t-jets. no when they stick to the track upside down. the motor mags provide a lot of grip.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    It would be nice to confirm that a 3 lamination 16 ohm Dash arm was the winner. My own testing indicated that they are better than most NOS Aurora arms in stock form. I have not had a chance to true and balance one yet. For the 2019-2020 season the Dash arms will be legal for some HOCOC classes.

Leave a comment:

• rickv
    replied
    I heard a rumor that a dash arm was in the individual winning fray car.

Leave a comment:

• HObro
    replied
    ...or maybe it's just time to relax the weirdly specific rules and exclusions for racing this now 50+ year old chassis.

Amen to that!

Leave a comment:

• el gecko
    replied
    It's really amazing that the G-Jet has been around for over a decade now and HOPRA still doesn't have a class to run it in (or any of the other brass weighted magnet cars)

Leave a comment:

• SouthShoreRacing
    replied
    Correct. Those cars have magnetic downforce. Several groups run G-Jets by themselves since they have the 9 ohm arm and tall wheels. Other groups have classes that allow the Viper, BSRT, Slottech, and Wizzard cars that have brass weights instead of traction magnets to compete together. Typically these classes allow a 6 ohm arm and some variations on tires (sponge silicon or slip-on). MARC, one of the clubs I race with, has a class called Open Weighted that fits this description. You can find out rules here http://marcne.com/marc/rules.php?season=15

Leave a comment:

• el gecko
    replied
    Originally posted by SouthShoreRacing View Post
    Out of the box, that would not be legal. The motor magnets would pick up the lift pin. Typically Gravity cars are built with brass chassis and mini can motors. If you look at the Tips section of the HOPRA website, there are a few articles on building these cars. You can see what the chassis looks like.
    So the G-Jet isn't legal either in your estimation? Both have exposed motor magnets of roughly the same strength. What class would these cars be allowed to run in? (the Slottech Thundercat also falls into this group)
    Last edited by el gecko; 04-17-2019, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SouthShoreRacing
    replied
    Out of the box, that would not be legal. The motor magnets would pick up the lift pin. Typically Gravity cars are built with brass chassis and mini can motors. If you look at the Tips section of the HOPRA website, there are a few articles on building these cars. You can see what the chassis looks like.

Leave a comment:

• el gecko
    replied
    Originally posted by SouthShoreRacing View Post
    Wizzard doesn't make Gravity cars.
    What about the Thunderstorm?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X