Mystery green arms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery green arms

I was digging into my stash of stuff looking for a new green arm for my modified class MagnaTraction car. I found several baggies with what look like brand-new green arms with gold wire that seem to have been balanced (as there is no paint on the outside of the arms poles). They ohm right at 4 and are 4-lam arms, additionally each bag has four nylon or Teflon spacers. I must have bought them some time in the past two or three years with an eye toward making an IROC set of pseudo Super II (Pseudo II?) clones. Does anyone know who made these? They look like very well-made arms.

Scott McCrate

Dash.

Comment

Blitzen.

Comment

I didn't recall Dash making that, but you are probably correct. Thanks! Blitzen...snrrk!

Comment

Here id what I posted when the Dash 4 lamination arms came out:

I got five new Dash 4 lamination armatures recently. After I weighed the arms I checked the ohms for each pole and did a quick balance check. All of the arms had decent balance, one was good enough that I would not bother to balance it if I was going to race it. I also checked a mean green that had been balanced, a green lamination with gold wire and a custom wind by Daniel Cardinale on a Johnny Lightning 3 lamination blank. I ran all of the arms in a HOCOC Coupe class car with a T-Jet chassis. The magnets measured 980 gauss. My MaxTrax is in its oval configuration with 12 foot straights and 24 inch radius turns.
          I ran the DC arm first because that was already in the car, followed by the mean green, the green/gold and three of the Dash arms. After I put in the first Dash arm I discovered that it was hitting the magnets, so I had to change the magnet shims. The next thing that came up was that there was not enough motor brush tension. I added two thin shims between the arm and the gear plate, I did not use the Teflon spacers that came with the arms. The next thing that I noticed was that the commutator was not flat. After I ran the #1 arm "as is" I trued the comm a little, I did not try to get it perfect, but the lap times did drop. I did the same thing with the second and third Dash arms that I put in the car. After running the third arm I replaced the bronze spacers with a thin Teflon spacer and the lap times dropped a little bit more. None of the Dash arms wanted to heat up or slow down, they seem to be about equivalent to an average mean green. If I am feeling ambitious I may run the other two Dash arms, my RT-HO tools are getting a good workout.

Comment

Working...
          X