X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TK Solver
    started a topic X-Traction UltraG Release 26 Chassis Change

X-Traction UltraG Release 26 Chassis Change

The gear on the bottom rear of the plate -- the gear that meshes with the crown gear on the axle -- has been changed to have 12 teeth instead of 14. In my opinion, this change wasn't needed at all. The X-Traction UltraG chassis handled great in, through, and out of turns as long as the front axle was straight -- which in my experience isn't very often on cars from the factory. A bent axle will cause deslots in the turns. I sure hope they didn't change the gear ratio to help with deslot problems caused by bent axles!
    Last edited by TK Solver; 05-18-2019, 10:13 AM.

• TK Solver
    replied
    Originally posted by Nerfin' Norman View Post
    I think the release 26 cars from Auto World run great on my Tomy track.
    The Nomad, Camaro, Road Runner, and Mustang have run many laps.
    I did have to get the pick up shoes to sit flat, but that's it.

Has anyone else tried these cars with the new gear?
    That's great to hear. I may pick up a couple soon.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    My club used to race a class for Magnatraction cars, that got dropped some years ago and was eventually replaced with a class for modern Whelen Modified cars using Aurora Magnatraction or JL/AW X-Traction chassis. We don't allow the neo traction magnets. The hitch is that you have to remove the body mounting ears to fit the narrow Whelen bodies and I did not want to chop up vintage Magnatraction chassis, so all of my cars are X-Tractions. With a little tinkering those run very well, I use Super Tires Tyco 464Rs on 0.250 rims.

Leave a comment:

• BIG E
    replied
    I mentioned the T Dash chassis because this is the Pancake Forum. It was mentioned that Aurora's original chassis is being replicated by different manufacturers, not specifically the T Jet or AFX style. Yes, we did start out speaking about the latest version of the AW X Traction chassis. Just a bit of comparison between manufacturers and the quality of product they the produce, that's all.
    -- Ernie :>)

Leave a comment:

• Nerfin' Norman
    replied
    I think the release 26 cars from Auto World run great on my Tomy track.
    The Nomad, Camaro, Road Runner, and Mustang have run many laps.
    I did have to get the pick up shoes to sit flat, but that's it.

Has anyone else tried these cars with the new gear?

Leave a comment:

• TK Solver
    replied
    Did Dash do an X-Traction chassis clone? Otherwise, I'm not sure why Dash got brought up in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• BIG E
    replied
    Yes, JD,Jr. -- I agree.
    Anyone who has read my posts in the past knows that I'm a big Aurora guy. The original Aurora stuff set the gold standard for us as kids, and for many, as adults, too. I believe the closest a modern manufacturer has come to the original Aurora Thunderjet 500 chassis is the most recent version of the T-Dash chassis. Smooth running, well made, very impressive. People don't give this guy the credit he deserves. I'm currently using two of these chassis, nearly stock, for bracket racing on HO drag strips we have here on Long Island. I've got them set up as '60s style Super Stockers, with small slip on silicones on the rears and just the basic tuning/lubrication tweaks. All three of the drag strips are Max Trax with Track Mate timing systems, running at 20 volts, 10 amps.
    One of the HO Road Racing clubs I belong to will soon be using these chassis set up with modern "Hot Rod" style wheels and tires. The bodies will be resin jalopy style for now, with the possibility of using some of the older injection molded similar style bodies to be added in the future.
    Just my humble opinion on the Dash chassis, and what I'm currently doing with them at the moment. Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)

Leave a comment:

• JimDouglasJr
    replied
    Oops. Double post with no way to delete.
    I suppose I could add that "improvements" is subjective. We could replace that with "modifications."
    Last edited by JimDouglasJr; 05-20-2019, 12:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JimDouglasJr
    replied
    Wouldn't Aurora be tickled that their chassis have been not only reproduced, but improvements made all these years later?
    Notice nobody's bothered to do the Tyco Curvehuggers...

Leave a comment:

• TK Solver
    replied
    According to this recent review, the change was made in this release... https://sites.google.com/a/speedinc-...-cars-n-coffee

It was the Thunderjet UltraG gear ratio that was changed several years ago to reduce acceleration deslots.
    Last edited by TK Solver; 05-18-2019, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    I believe that the gear ratio was changed when the UltraG cars with the added neo traction magnet came out. The extra drag caused by that magnet probably caused the cars to bog down if they had the 14 tooth drive pinion. In my opinion adults would be better off without the neo magnet and in that case the larger drive pinion would be the way to go. The cars with the added magnet are great for kids however.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X