Voltage for AFX car question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage for AFX car question

I have a track with the tri-power transformer. Can anybody tell me what voltages the old AFX chassis can/need to be run at? I can smell the car when run at expert voltage level!

Also, how can you tell the difference between magna-traction chassis and standard AFX chassis?

Thanks

Ok, figured out the diff. between the two chassis. Just need to know about voltage.

Thanks

Comment

I know they should run fine on up to 18 volts - what the tjet transformers put out, and what my local track has their power supply set for. But I don't have any experience on running them on more than that - let's see if someone else knows for sure.

I believe the Expert level is 22 volts - I believe it's stamped on the unit, as 22v, 12v, 8v.
      It's certainly possible that 22 is a bit much.

I'd heard of the Tri packs, I had just guessed they would be something like 10,14 and 18. Not having 18v could be a bit of a limitation, although at 14 with enough amps the cars may run quite well, no?

I'd be curious, if you have a voltage meter (or a friend does), if you checked to see how many volts the Expert level is actually putting out.

-mg

Comment

Dolphinfan,
        The cars will give off an oil burning smell when they get hot regardless of the voltage used. It's actually my favourite part of using these older cars and is what I remember most about them as a kid.

Apply oil vary sparingly, fairly regularly and you should be right. I run mine at 12 volts and get the impression that most others do also. Some run them at a volt or two lower. Out of interest, what's the lowest voltage setting on the tri-power transformer?

Cheers,
        Michael.

Comment

With good tires the both the original Aurora A/FX and the later Magnatraction cars will run fine at 18 volts. The original tires did not have a lot of grip and if they are 35 years old are not likely to have improved with age. Get some slip-on silicone tires like Wizzard PVT02s, they will make a big difference. 18 volts is the standard for HO cars, if you have a variable power supply there is nothing wrong with turning down the voltage if you are having trouble driving the cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Jisp View Post
            Dolphinfan,
            Out of interest, what's the lowest voltage setting on the tri-power transformer?

Cheers,
            Michael.
            8, 12 and 22V at 1A. Detailed info for those interested in the Tri-Power Pack in Paul Shoemaker's excellent review, here: AFX Tri-Power Power Pack

Comment

Yes, that is the one. 8v,12v, and 22v. Works great..and it isnt a problem driving the cars, just didnt want to "smoke" the thing!!! I havent run these in 30+ years, just got back into the hobby. Trying to replace all the cars I had back then. Just got my first one in the mail and didnt want to ruin it on the first day. Thanks for all the info guys, and I welcome any more help.
              How bout the best place to order tune up parts or what are the best parts to upgrade the MT cars?

Good racing all!!!!!!

Comment

First take a look at the folks that sponsor this board and see if they have the stuff you need. For pancake cars and parts JAG Hobbies is a good place to look.

Comment

I see that the power supply is rated at 22 volts with a 1 amp load. Most HO power supplies that come with sets put out a much lower voltage under load than what is marked on the nameplate. It would take four regular Tomy AFX cars to put a 1 amp load on the power supply once they were rolling. I wonder if the voltage would actually be 22 volts in that case. If it is 22 volts the cars should really fly!

Comment

the voltage was higher cause it was often knocked down with some with the cars running due to not enough amps.

the norm is 18volts if not using the toy power supplies, I think that came about cause folks started using 6 & 12 volt batteries

Comment

Working...
                    X