No announcement yet.

Non-Magnatraction Advice Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smalltime and Speedy: Thanks so much for responding to my query. I do like cars that coast (and often adjust the commutator brush tension to facilitate same), but I also like cars that move. I think it is worth a try to get some Dash T-Jet magnets and see how they do in the AFX non-mags. I will let everyone know how this works out.

Again, I cannot thank you enough for helping me out. This is a great forum for learning, thanks to you!

Dale

Comment

n/p

Comment

Sorry to take this post a tad off topic, but are t-jets and non- magnatraction afx's the same thing or different altogether? Thanks

Comment

The A/FX cars came out in 1971, they are still a pancake design, but they don't share many parts with the original Aurora T-Jet.
          Look here for pictures of the chassis: http://www.modelmotorist.com/web-con...***.jsp#aurora

Comment

Ok, NOW you have my interest! I didn't realize that these cars even existed. Do they share parts with magnas and if not with any other afx's? Does anyone still offer nos chassis for sale? They look really interesting. They seem to have come out in the year I got married and got rid of all my previous slotcar stuff.

Comment

Magnatraction cars were introduced late in 1974, they use many of the same parts as the A/FX car. The main difference is that the base chassis was made to take taller magnets that sit closer to the rails. Magnatraction cars also used different brushes with tiny coil springs. Magnatraction cars were sold for a longer period of time and are easier to come by than A/FX cars. Possibly someone sells NOS A/FX and Magnatraction rolling chassis. I buy most of my parts from JAG Hobbies and they only have separate parts for those cars. The Johnny Lightning and early Auto World X-Traction cars are close copies of the Magnatraction car. Newer Auto World X-Traction cars have an added neodymium traction magnet for extra downforce.

Comment

Originally posted by sidecar53 View Post
                Ok, NOW you have my interest! I didn't realize that these cars even existed. Do they share parts with magnas and if not with any other afx's? Does anyone still offer nos chassis for sale? They look really interesting. They seem to have come out in the year I got married and got rid of all my previous slotcar stuff.

If you are talking about thunderjets, yes there are some places that still sell NOS tjet chassis, but they are quite rare. Johnny Lightning (JL) used to, and Autoworld (AW) still makes reproduction versions of tjets, but quality is average. Dash Motorsports makes a NEW Reproduction of the tjet called TDash which is MUCH closer to the original ones. I have a few and they are really nice runners. They come with the skinny wheels/tires just like the original tjets.

Comment

Working...
                X