Oval

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oval

We are considering putting in a HO oval track in a commercial raceway Speed & Sport Hobbies to attract some of the 1:1 dirt oval people who go to ET Motoplex here in Arizona.

Thinking 4x12 or maybe slightly longer straights. The issue is I want a 180 degree turn at each end rather than 4 corners like Indy. But I don't want the corner to be so easy you can take it punched. I would love to have braking and then pitch the car sideways in the corner.

We are not limited to any particular car. We will be trying BSRT G-Jet, Aurora T-Jet, Aurora AFX, DASH, etc. We are also not confined to a specific voltage but more on one that would allow right off the street beginners to have fun.

Thoughts?

that track would fun with a Slide-Guide setup.

Comment

Here is a wood 4X12 banked oval.

Any sort of car that is running right can't take the corners flat out. If the track had rails you would not want any banking. My MaxTrax oval is a 4X16 with 24 inch radius turns and that is OK with low downforce cars. Modern moderate downforce cars like Slottechs, Wizzards and BSRTs only have to ease off a little going into the corners and are not much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by gregorygw View Post
        We are considering putting in a HO oval track in a commercial raceway Speed & Sport Hobbies to attract some of the 1:1 dirt oval people who go to ET Motoplex here in Arizona.

Thinking 4x12 or maybe slightly longer straights. The issue is I want a 180 degree turn at each end rather than 4 corners like Indy. But I don't want the corner to be so easy you can take it punched. I would love to have braking and then pitch the car sideways in the corner.

We are not limited to any particular car. We will be trying BSRT G-Jet, Aurora T-Jet, Aurora AFX, DASH, etc. We are also not confined to a specific voltage but more on one that would allow right off the street beginners to have fun.

Thoughts?
        I've built six routed ovals.

Ranging in size from 8x22 to a monstrous Indy replica that was over 40 feet long and over 8 feet wide.

The one thing I would recommend is very little banking. This tends to even out the lanes.

4 X 12 is pretty small, this will limit you to 4 lanes probably. I would think about a couple of options:

Not a true oval. say maybe like Phoenix, or Gateway. Make one end very different from the other.

The real hard part of this will be the class of car you want to run. Any magnet cars will be impossible to marshal, and they will get expensive to repair. I've seen S.S. and restricted open cars break chassis on tracks that size.

I would start out with 12 volt G-jets, or maybe even fray style cars with slip-ons and full bodies.

A really great class to try is stock t-jets with skinny tires and the 50s-70s bodies. they are slow, but a blast to pitch into the corners, and very evenly matched.

We even experimented with that class fitted with stock rubber tires and tried a drifting class. If you can get a couple of really good drivers, they can drift right next to each other for lap after lap.

you haven't lived until you see a couple of 57s laying on each other for a dozen laps.

Good luck on your plans.

Comment

A 4 x 12 foot oval is certainly large enough for great racing.

HOCOC races on two banked ovals -- both 4 lanes. One is 4 x 10, with 10 banks, and the other 4 x 12 with 20 banks. The 4 x 10 is actually the most popular track.

If you want to change things up a bit, I might recommend using different banking on the two corners. I do not recommend a bank higher than 20.

There are tricks to creating banked curves. One is that you rout them 'on the flat' and then form them up to create the banking. The mathematics involved -- well, that gets a bit deep. Too deep for a quick post here.

Ed Bianchi

Comment

I picked up a used MaxTrax last year that uses an 11" turn leading into a 17" turn. Track is only <4' x 8'.
            I've only toyed with it as I'm awaiting a new power supply before I invite the T-Jet boys over. I do have one G Jet and a number of SRTs with weights instead of magnets. As I recall, at 12 volts they could do the turns without backing off, so I may have to try a tire change to loosen them up.
            If you like, PM an email address and I will forward a photo.

Comment

On my MaxTrax oval with 24 inch radius turns G-jets can't take the corners flat out at 12 volts. Rather than change tires, if things are boring at 12 volts it might be easier to crank up the voltage, we run most of our classes at 18.5 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by smalltime View Post
                I've built six routed ovals.

Ranging in size from 8x22 to a monstrous Indy replica that was over 40 feet long and over 8 feet wide.

Did you happen to build one that was in the Kansas City area about 10 years ago??? RM

Comment

Originally posted by Hilltop Speedway View Post
                  Did you happen to build one that was in the Kansas City area about 10 years ago??? RM
                  Yup, That was me and Dan Townsend of Slot Car Thunder.

And BtW, we had Five large scale ovals running at one time.

Dan's home track, a model of Charlotte

Another track, my first, was a replica of Dover. 30 x 10 with 18 degree banking.

The third was my personal track, a version of Bristol. 8 x 23. It now resides with Fordcowboy of Hobbytalk fame.

The fourth was the track spoken of above.

The fifth was a routed version of Darlington. it was 33 x 10 on the larger end.

Comment

A friend of mine and myself to a road trip out to KC area about 10 to 12 years ago. Had the pleasure of running on that track... ya needed binoculars to see the other side of the track!!!... Never forget, was getting my butt kicked, made a pit stop, swapped out for a taller gear, made all the difference...
                    Seems that track was at a commercial type building, had 2 or 3 tracks inside...
                    Have also been to FCB's recreational barn, don't think he had that oval up running at the time, may have just acquired it...but I wanted too run on it!!!

Comment

The Indy replica was the one that was in Bonner Springs right? I visited there once. Buncha kids were running SG+ Indy cars around it. (A birthday party as I recall.) So I didn't get a chance to run on it.

As I recall the turns were wide & slightly banked. Could most 6-ohm type cars run that (nearly) flat out?

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by theroad87 View Post
                        The Indy replica was the one that was in Bonner Springs right? I visited there once. Buncha kids were running SG+ Indy cars around it. (A birthday party as I recall.) So I didn't get a chance to run on it.

As I recall the turns were wide & slightly banked. Could most 6-ohm type cars run that (nearly) flat out?

-Mike
                        Magnet cars were flat all the way round.

I saw an unlimited car go thru a wall there. It stuck to the interior metal bracing and we had to cut a larger opening to get it out.

We ran a Wednesday night league for sprint cars that was very popular. Mean greens, 14 tooth pinions, blue/yellow magnets, and slip-ons .

We had to limit the size of the top wings, because guys were getting so much help from the aero.

Comment

There is a chance here to take the crown of best HO oval in the world.

20'+ straights, non-magnetic rail, banking a must but keep it shallow.

Comment

Working...
                          X