Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a new Routed HO track-Copper wire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need Slide Guides? I have a few thousand, and can order more when those run out.

But I do need to apologize to a number of people because I have not been able to fill any orders for a number of weeks. I have been moving house. That means all my HO RacePro stuff had to get packed up and put on a truck. It also means I've had to dig through stacks of boxes in my new house to unearth it again.

And there have been extra complications because I moved from Massachusetts to Pennsylvania. New license, new registrations...

Basically I have been too busy to scratch. But that is getting resolved. Moving finished. New house bought. Old house sold.

I am semi-retired now, so I'll be able to spend more time, and maybe even some money, on my slot products. Including my long-delayed repop of Wingmaster Sprints.

Watch SlotCarIllustrated for developments.

Ed Bianchi
    Last edited by HO RacePro; 03-25-2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Hi Ed. Are you taking orders for slide guides? I have a routed 4*8 copper tape track for 1/32, but would like to try slide guide on HO. I am Just getting started in the HO world. What is a good value car you would recommend to use your slide guides with?

Comment

More than a few tracks have been done with round steel wire and there is no practical reason why copper wire would not work. I suggest doing more homework on how folks built tracks with round steel wire before scrapping the idea. I would also suggest using tinned copper wire to minimize long term corrosion.

Comment

Hi Ed. Are you taking orders for slide guides? I have a routed 4*8 copper tape track for 1/32, but would like to try slide guide on HO. I am Just getting started in the HO world. What is a good value car you would recommend to use your slide guides with?

Comment

Yes, I'm still selling Slide Guides -- both the original (1/8 inch slot) and the narrow (1/16 inch slot) versions.

You can contact me directly at [email protected].

One of the best chassis for Slide Guides is the old LifeLike 'M' chassis. But virtually any chassis can use one.

Another good classic chassis to convert is the old TycoPro. The TycoPro works far better with a Slide Guide than with its original guide and pickups. It's the guide the TycoPro should have been born with. Great fun.

Ed Bianchi
            Last edited by HO RacePro; 08-05-2019, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Another option would be stainless “lashing wire”. No corrosion, can get it in a magnetic alloy. Cheap on eBay.
              But these guys know more than me!!

Comment

The problem with solid round wire is it comes wrapped on a reel so it has a natural curve to it, and doesn't want to lay straight. And if you get a kink in it you can never really get it out. That, plus it can only lie in a shallow groove, which makes gluing it down iffy.

Save yourself a whole ton of trouble and lay braid. It flexes easily without spring-back, lies nice and flat, and offers a lot of surface area to accept glue. There's a reason it has been the dominant track-building technique since the Day One.

Check out my video on laying braid with Elmer's Wood Glue and a clothes iron. It is a simple, proven, technique that dates back to the early 1990's. Tracks I built that long ago are still trouble-free. Really!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s01SyUc6Ya0&t=4s

I should mention I learned this technique from Al McRory of Ottawa Canada. Whether he invented it or learned it from someone else I can't tell you.

Ed Bianchi
                Last edited by HO RacePro; 08-09-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X