This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routed HO Scale Tracks Message Board

Im routing my first track, in HO scale and finding you cant just pick up the techniques from the 1/32 guys.
    Can we please get an HO scale routed track board for our own to hash out this new frontier?
    We need a place to share info on building jigs to get those 1 1/2 inch lane spacing and offset routings for power rails, im working with 1/16 rebar for now; i may try copper tape in the future. etc etc etc: How about it,Mr.Moderator?

Re: Petition for a Routed HO Scale Tracks Message Board

I'm dealing with some of the same issues, and have been blogging my experiences. I have some insight into routing, etc.

In any case, I'm listing the resources that I'm aware of.

Stop by my blog and let me know what you think.

-- Bill

Comment

Can we please get an HO scale routed track board for our own to hash out this new frontier?
      Hear, hear!! I third that nomination!

some of the big routers are on the HO DL.
      A big router can make one heck of a mess in a hurry!! :rollin

Comment

Check out Brad Bowmans site.

He sells a book on how he routes his tracks. It might help.

BK

Brad's Tracks.com

Comment

Bigkaluna, I purchased Brad's "book". Actually, it would be more accurate to call it a 20 page hand-out. It does contain good information and it accompanied by a small stack of pictures and a sample piece of track. As helpful as this may be, it would not be a substitute for a message board forum.

Comment

I'm for it.

Comment

I hope it is considered worthy.

Comment

Surely a thread (this one?) would be enough??

Comment

I will throw my vote for a routed ho section.

I am not going to jump to this direction anytime soon as I have wayyyyyy too much plastic track at this point, but the idea intrigues me.

I hope you get your wish, I think it will be quite interesting.

Ron

Comment

With 9 posts I am not sure it would be viable.

Dividing up Forums usually weakens them unless there are very active posters to support the division.

For now I will stick this to the top of the HO Forum and monitor the interest.

Now if a Routed Track Manufacturer wants to support a separate Forum with advertising I am happy to set that up.

Cheers and Happy Holidays

Alan
                    Alan Smith
                    SCI Owner.
                    www.scaleracing.com
                    www.slotcarillustrated.com
                    www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                    www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Stickie

Thanks Alan for the sticky.

O.K. all you M.D.F. dust breathin', carbide bit chompin', I'm gonna have a smooth H.O. race track if it's the last router I own, people, start laying some rail.

Comment

My progress:Go Routed HO Scale Tracks Message Board

Admin, thanks for the priority on our board. Everyone should post their jigs, solutions, workarounds, etc, for those of us who aren't as handy.

I am working on my small 2' x 4' test track and trying to work out the details of the best jigs to use, but I keep going back and forth between the merits of different techniques for the guide slots (I'm working with 1/16" slots, not the 1/8" slide guide style) first choice is the roller jig/pin jig combination but I'm working on two lanes in 3 inches of track width (TOMY style) "in the flat", not ribbon style track. Why 3" Track width? Because it allows for the longest lap lengtht on a 4' x 8" MDF sheet since I'm limited to due to space constraints. I can easily move to 4" or wider track width for subsequent layouts and do 3 lanes (with squeezes, perhaps?).

I want to rout several courses on 1/2" MDF 4' x 8' sheets I can store flat against a wall behind a bookcase. I'm using 7/32" slot depth so I believe I can route a separate course on each side of the MDF.

I'm going to rout the first course flat with no elevations or crossovers. I think I'm going to want to create courses with compound radius turns and "driving lines" for the guide slots, so I'm not going to use the circle jig/straightedge method. That tends to suggest Bianchi's template first lane and router plate offset additional lanes. That's fast, but requires double the sheets of MDF. Lastly there's LUFs flexible strip. I'm working on a method wherein I screw down the guide strip right at the edge of the 3" wide track with a 2 1/4" offset plate on the router for the first lane. That puts the first guide slot in the right place.

Haven't decided whether to use another guide plate or a pin jig to do the second guide slot.The flexible strip has to be screwed down because the router I'm using has a 3 1/4" radius base, too large for the job and the router guide is cutaway under the base to give a smaller offset. I'm thinking to go with tape, because I haven't a clue as to how to get the spacing to rout the slots for 1/16" rebar tie wire (as featured in Ted Gowder's track on www.hoslotcarracing.com).

If anyone has figured out how to jig any of the steps for "in the flat" designs and especially the power rail slots at TOMY spacing (.28125") please post your solution. BTW, I don't know why Ted Gowder's diagram shows .275" as the power rail offset, is that TYCO track/car spacing? Also, how has copper tape worked out for others as far as racing is concerned in that there's no downforce? I have actually read some posts where people have routed slots for rebar wire and covered the rebar with copper tape, but I don't know whythey didn't just connect power to the rebar.

Anyway, thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

Re: My progress:Go Routed HO Scale Tracks Message Board

Now if a Routed Track Manufacturer wants to support a separate Forum with advertising I am happy to set that up.
                          Alan,
                          Which one of the above paying advertisers is a 1/32nd Routed Track manufacturer?

I have read and been following the others posts in the routed track forum and they are all individuals with the ambition to route tracks for themselves. They have bought Luf's video and have attempted fate with a router.

Comment

We do not have a 1/32 Scale Routed Track Forum, this is the link to the Routed Track Forum.Routed Track Forum

Luf has a large Banner on this Forum as he is the only person helping me with this section who makes and also helps other make Routed Tracks.

Most of the Racers running on Routed Tracks are using product from the Sponsors.

We have no support from the HO Industry, Manufacturer or Reseller, happy to supply this Board at my expense, but to add to it is seems only fair to ask for support.

If there is a need for a separate section for HO Routed Tracks, I will gladly start and finance it. However it would need a lot more posters than I see right now.

Use this sticker-ed thread to prove that there is a need and I will gladly start a new section.

Cheers and Happy Holidays

Alan
                            Alan Smith
                            SCI Owner.
                            www.scaleracing.com
                            www.slotcarillustrated.com
                            www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                            www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

JBromberg

If you are serious about creating a standard HO-scale raised rail track, and have not already purchased Brad Bowman's Track Building Manual you might consider it. Brad is probably the premier maker of quality HO tracks today. I have a copy of his booklet and it looks to me like is telling you exactly how he does it. It doesn't look easy, but his description seems to be comprehensive. The booklet isn't long, but there's a lot of information in it, including several pages of quality photos. He gives specs, shows his tooling, and describes his process. It's a lot of work, but it's what you have to do to make a raised rail track with the right amount of downforce.

Brad uses an edge-routing approach, and does include some detailed photos of his routing jig. He does caution first-timers against that approach he feels that you need some experience to make it work.

He also describes his experience with the pin jig approach, and other routing approaches.

Sorry to be so vague on some of this, but if I gave out too much information, Brad would not sell many of his manuals. I applaude his ability to not only make the kind of tracks he does, but the fact that he is willing to share how he does it with anyone who ponys up $50 for his manual.

Regarding the use of rebar wire... I suspect (but I don't know) that any type of magnet car would have too much downforce using the rebar wire. It should work for TJets, but you had better test it out if you're considering magnet cars...

It's unfortunate that HO scale is 'saddled' with a track design that is difficult for the home builder to reproduce. Track for 1/32 scale is much easier to create using off-the-shelf tools and a little bit of experience. Ed Bianchi's approach of replacing the standard HO rail and pickups with copper tape and a 1/32-type guide flag is innovative, and makes track-building much simpler, but unfortunately is non-standard. However, having said that, I'm routing a Bianchi-style 'slider' track I don't have the room for the kind of 1/32 track that I would want, and I'm too cheap to buy all the HO track that I would need. Plus, I haven't found anyone else in the Des Moines metro area that races HO scale, so being non-standard does not seem to be that much of a burden...

While I don't expect that the powers that be to set up a HO-scale routing forum, I believe that it is important that we share information and experiences. To me, the question is whether we do it here (HO Slot Cars forum) or in the Routed Track Scale Racing forum.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X