X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StockTomyFTW
    replied
    Last edited by StockTomyFTW; 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bananasmoothie1975
    replied
    Yep, the voltage adds up with more lanes.

You'd need to short out the distance from outer Lane 1 to outer Lane (4 or 6) to get that voltage, maybe a stretched hand would do it?
    Or more likely one hand on each..

One thing that is limited is the available current from wall packs - your US ones are different to our Aussie ones, but I'm guessing they're rated at about 500mA?

Furthermore, they're not regulated, so the voltage drops as more current is drawn.

I'd still exercise caution, but not as dangerous as a wall outlet with 120V(AC) and 10-15Amps available.

Charlie, what's been your experience with the overall higher voltages?
    Had any eye opening ZAPS??

Leave a comment:

• Grandcheapskate
    replied
    Originally posted by Bananasmoothie1975 View Post
    Hey Joe, a bridge rectifier changes AC to DC, with a slight ripple in the output voltage.

I'd like to know how the downforce compares too
    So the bridge rectifier is not REALLY needed to understand how this is wired up. But it is imperative that there be a seperate power source for each lane - is that correct?

So, how dangerous does it become to wire a track this way? If I understand correctly, the voltage across the entire track (from positive of lane 1 to negative of lane 4 - assuming four lanes) would be 4 times the voltage of each individual lane. So if you are using original Aurora 20v-22v power packs, the voltage across lanes 1-4 is 80-88 volts. If there were 6 lanes, you'd be at the max output for a standard wall outlet at 120 volts. And this is all out in the open. I guess a fuse with a 30v limit on each lane might make this safe? I'm just thinking out loud as electricity is not my strong suit.

Thanks...Joe

Leave a comment:

• Bananasmoothie1975
    replied
    Hey Joe, a bridge rectifier changes AC to DC, with a slight ripple in the output voltage.

I'd like to know how the downforce compares too

Leave a comment:

• Grandcheapskate
    replied
    Originally posted by StockTomyFTW View Post
    Air cooled routing cuts the slots.
    Well Bananasmoothie that is the magic of what happen years ago. Keep in mind that any lane can be reversed and run backwards at any time without effecting any other cars. Im glad Im getting the "gears turning" though. See I knew you smart slot people could see some of the magic.
    I dont run it from car batteries. I use transformers from 120vac. Each lane has its own. The positive can only short out with its own negative not its neighbors negative. Like I said its a new way to wire them up. I stumbled across it while messing with piano wire. I assure you it works wonderfully. Of course there is no boost in power if your buddy lets off the gas on ya. Its an ADULT toy. I wouldn't want to leave children unattended with their sippy cups on it. Just like any slot track its an electric toy and needs to be treated as such.
    So in a nutshell.. They are isolated from each other in magnetic fields only. It comes from one source (the wall outlet) then it breaks into six transformers and cooling fans. The leads from these go to bridge rectifiers then out to controllers/polarity switches then track. Six cars seven wires. Its golden. I only discovered it messing around much like you guys are now. I have a few hours before work today, Ill take more pics and maybe some little movies. I would be happy to answer any questions or preform little tests (meters or whatever) to show you the cars unaffected by one another.
    Thanks for taking a look.
    Charlie.
    Charlie,
    That is one amazing track. If I may, some questions concerning the construction and wiring.

If I understand correctly, the track surface is a very thin metal sheet; I believe you mention somewhere it is 24ga. or 26ga. You say you cut the slots using air cooled routing. What is air cooled routing and can I assume that requires a special router?

Wiring. You have one power source per lane and do not cut a slot specifically to isolate one lane from another. Rather, you wire the negative from power source 1 and the positive from power source 2 to the same "rail". Only the outermost two "rails" have one connection each. This would make the voltage potential between the outermost "rails" equal to the number of volts per lane times the number of lanes, but the voltage potential beween the two rails the car would use equal to only the voltage of one power source - correct? I hate electricity!!

You mention using a bridge rectifier - why? Just to even out the AC ripple?

I also assume that you first must mount the sheet metal onto some type of board before cutting the slots, as once the slot is cut (I am assuming the slot goes completely through the metal), you need some kind of backing to hold the thing together.

And how would you compare the magnetic downforce to standard plastic track?

Thanks...Joe
    Last edited by Grandcheapskate; 10-04-2010, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rolls
    replied
    Martin - it is wonderful to have an update on your track! I studied your original thread and really liked your layout for its grace and craftsmanship. Now I see your landscaping is great, too! It is very realistic and complements the circuit wonderfully. I'd love to see more photos!

Leave a comment:

• Martin2
    replied
    Hello @all!

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...97&postcount=1

A couple of month later (exactly years) i have some new pictures. I built a pit lane, made a little bit landscape, lighted HP7 cars and a UV lighted night sky.

Hope you like it!

Greetings from Germanys Holzbahnring-Schwerte
    Martin2
    Last edited by Martin2; 10-01-2010, 02:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jisp
    replied
    Charlie, thanks for sharing details of your amazing track.........and I mean amazing! I have a feeling you will be "dissected" for every conceivable detail concerning the track and its construction.

This static photo you provided is pure magic! Thanks again for sharing, Michael.

Leave a comment:

• Bananasmoothie1975
    replied
    wow - I'll say it again - wow..

I feel silly for not thinking of voltages in series for adjacent lanes - could also be done with a direct dc voltage for each lane:
    + -+ -+ -+ -

Say 12V for each lane, overall volts from Lane 1 + to Lane 4 - would be 48V

VERY impressed with your track Thanks for sharing vid, pics and info
    Last edited by Bananasmoothie1975; 09-29-2010, 10:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tsooko
    replied
    What, no spidery webs up in the corner of your room?
    Great vids Charlie. Thankyou for sharing.
    The wire mod looks simple enough. The car goes very well with it. I love the sound. Kinda like a jet when you start the track up.
    The cars are super quiet and fast when running.
    There are other steel tracks that have been made. One that was cut out with a lazer.
    My jaw drops when I look at yours.
    This track really deserves it's own thread like Todd has started for his new build.
    Perhaps Paul or Allen can make it so.
    Ted

Leave a comment:

• StockTomyFTW
    replied
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCf16529Vcg"][/ame]..
    Last edited by StockTomyFTW; 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM. Reason: Added another short vid.

Leave a comment:

• StockTomyFTW
    replied
    Last edited by StockTomyFTW; 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM. Reason: Because

Leave a comment:

• StockTomyFTW
    replied
    Last edited by StockTomyFTW; 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tsooko
    replied
    This track is awesome!!!
    Could you include a pic of the HO shoe modification, where you solder on the copper piece? I have soldered on brass bits on shoes to make them last longer and brush material but would like to see your solution.
    I notice that you also run what looks like 1/32 scale cars so the slot has to be wide enough for the slide guides. Do you modify the pin guide on the HO cars so they don't rattle around in the slot or is that not a problem?
    Also when you run the larger scale cars do you only power up the lanes you use for them or are all the lanes powered up?

Ted

Leave a comment:

• StockTomyFTW
    replied
    Last edited by StockTomyFTW; 12-08-2010, 11:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X