Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.I.R. Track Reconstruction

8-13-2019

Mostly due to the loss of all the photos of the original track build, I am starting a new thread documenting the re-assembly of the FIR at the house that Mary and I moved into last year. To say the basement has enough room is an understatement. This new space for my 117' Bowman track is approximately between 900-1000 sq.ft. area located in the basement. The area is a pretty clean canvas to work with, so I am making this a complete "man cave". There will be plenty of room for pit tables, electric for dremels, pit tools, etc., sitting and generally having a good time.

Let's start with the track table. The last table was complete overkill, as I used way too much lumber. I was up in WI at Mike Block's place, and he was using a product called "2x4 Basics". The premise of their products is that they make plastic pieces that will help build benches, saw horses, work benches, etc. All you have to do is make straight cuts on 2x4's and slide the wood into the plastic. It takes all the worry out of figuring out angles, and also makes for a much stronger structure. Here are a few photos of making the six 4'x 9' table frames. The table top will end up being 9'x26', which is slightly larger than the 8'x25.5' original. Additionally, this table will be lower at 32" high compared to the 36" taller original.

track table1.jpg track table2.jpg track table3.jpg track table4.jpg track table5.jpg

Last edited by fastlap; 08-14-2019, 06:38 AM.

Looking good, nice to see the lighter construction you're doing, so many tables are over built. Are you planning any elevation changes in the track layout?

Your work with car bodies and track is one I follow.

Karl

Comment

Thats a HUGE man cave! Y'all must be getting settled in if you're getting cave time. Weeeeeeeeee!

Thanks for sharing Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Mini Mojo View Post
        Looking good, nice to see the lighter construction you're doing, so many tables are over built. Are you planning any elevation changes in the track layout?

Your work with car bodies and track is one I follow.

Karl
        Thanks Karl. Yes, there will be the same elevation changes as the last time it was running. Except for the rise of the main straight into the overpass, most all of the track is at table level. I do have many shims to make the track surface have normal camber, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by model murdering View Post
          Thats a HUGE man cave! Y'all must be getting settled in if you're getting cave time. Weeeeeeeeee!

Thanks for sharing Gary
          Thanks Bill. The next couple nights, I should have the remaining support lumber in each table section so the plywood surface will have plenty of strategic support to sit on. (It's got to hold my fat azz, eh?)
          Just scored a mini bar type fridge at the local neighbor's garage sale. $10!!! Always need to keep a couple fresh one's in stock for those grueling nights in the man cave. Just have to make sure I'm not using the power tools.....lol.

Comment

8-25-2019

Except for the last 2ft. of table that will house the power and control equipment, the tables are finished and placed into their approximate position. All the supporting grid work is in place to screw the tabletop sheathing to. The next phase is to throw a couple LED tube lighting fixtures under the structures so that when I flick a switch the underneath of the tables will light up. It tends to be very shadowy under the tables when the plywood is blocking all the light.

Another point I would like to make...or endorse....is the powerful LED lighting I am using. In certain photos, the camera doesn't pick up the amount of light I'm getting. In the photo #3 that shows the tables from left to right (east to west) position, you can really see the amount of light from just those three little 2x2 fixtures that are above the tables. They really wash out the color of the 2x4's. They are rated at 20,300 Lumens EACH, and it's extremely hard to look into one of them.

completed table1.jpg completed table2.jpg completedtable3.jpg

Comment

Doesn't look like a big change in the photo, but the addition of the white paint on the wall really gives that end of the basement a brighter-cleaned up look.

completed table4.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks great Gary! It's nice to see the scenery pieces again
                Last edited by el gecko; 08-26-2019, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Lookin great, I love the glass block windows, they give a really cool vibe...

keep up up the good work!
                  ~Steve

Comment

Double post, whoops...
                    Last edited by Revtor; 08-30-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Update

9-14-2019

Put some more time in the tables this morning. Was able to get the plywood in place, cut, and screwed down. Tomorrow, will lay the track in place to see where I will have to cut the pretty wood so the wires can pass through.

Thanks for the comments so far!!!

Gar

20190914_095232_resized.jpg 20190914_095902_resized.jpg 20190914_114146_resized.jpg 20190914_124350_resized.jpg

Comment

Awesome!
                        Thanks for sharing!

Comment

9-16-2019

The first time that F.I.R. has been sitting on a table since taken apart in late June 2018. Everything looked great right up to the point that I discovered I made the table length too short. That will be a 1 hour fix, if not quicker. Easy peasy. Love seeing the track again. Of note; when taking photos with the phone, the long shots always look dark. Let me tell you, IT IS NOT DARK!!! When taking an end to end photo you can really see how much light is thrown onto the table surface by those three little LEDS. Much better lighting than the old setup.

FIR #1.jpg FIR #2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X