Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.I.R. track construction

5-1-2011

Here is what will be a series of progress pics and narrative for my 117' routed Bowman track. This track was contracted and designed by myself and Brad Bowman back in 2003-4. It was originally designed to sit on a 8'x24' table. The table has been expanded to 9'x26' for detailing-decorating reasons. The round black dot in the middle section of the diagram was a basement pole which I had to build the table around. At the new house (little bigger than the old house), the table surface will be clear of any sturctural objects. The finished track arrived at my home in Jan. of 2005(?) if I remember correctly. We recently moved to a new house in April 2009. TM and I owned both houses for a short time, so I dis-assembled the track table in the old house, then re-assembled it in the new hobby area at the new house. The track has a few of my favorite track's turns and features. The cork screw from Leguna Seca, the keyhole turn #11 from Long Beach and a little arena area before hitting the squeeze lanes at the keyhole, then taking on the long front straight.

After a long internal debate, I have settled on the track name of F.I.R., which is for "Fast International Raceway". Hey...it's a name..

Here is the original design we came up with and Brad's final redition in color.

Last edited by fastlap; 05-02-2011, 06:57 AM.

Here is the track table sitting in all it's messy glory on 5-1-11

from the opposite end

doesn't quite look like 117' worth of routed track, does it?

Comment

Can't wait!!

Comment

Bout **** time gary!...I was starting to wonder if you ever going to build it!!

j/k

I have a couple of your finished cars and cant wait until I see what you do with the scenery detals...

Comment

When you going to invite me up for a race???

Bob Weichbrodt
          [email protected]
          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Wow!
            That track looks very busy Gar. A single lap has a lot of different challenges. I look forward to seeing it in operation. There will be elevation changes other than the overpass area? It looks like the design will best suit a hilly landscape. I hope you will post Video?
            Ted
            Last edited by Tsooko; 05-01-2011, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rawafx View Post
              When you going to invite me up for a race???

Bob Weichbrodt
              [email protected]
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Bob, when you get up to the big city, you know that mi casa, su casa. Consider this an open invitation. It's been a long time. When's the last time we saw each other.... 20-ish years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Tsooko View Post
                Wow!
                That track looks very busy Gar. A single lap has a lot of different challenges. I look forward to seeing it in operation. There will be elevation changes other than the overpass area? It looks like the design will best suit a hilly landscape. I hope you will post Video?
                Ted
                Ted,

yes the track will have a distinct elevation changes slanting towards the drivers. The top of the design drawing will all be "high points' in the evevation. This way as you go through turns 2-3-4-5-6 you are going gradually up-hill until you crest at the top in turn 7. Obviously the cork-screw is heading back downhill with the process of going back uphill as you are approaching turn 11. The far right arena area and outer short shute through turns 15-16 will not be as high as the far left of the track. The front straight will be the lowest portion on the elevation. This is what I picture in my head. I may change it as I see how the cars feel on it. I may change the whole track around if this doesn't float my boat. I have a little more room is this basement in the hobby area. I have made the table slightly larger than the 8'x24' I was constricted to before.

If I was to do a Bowman track at this time in my life, I would design it completely different. More like a Catalunya, Sepang(Malaysian), Marina Bay (Singapore), Watkins Glen, or maybe even my dream track...a scaled down version of Long Beach. But, this is what I have, so this is the one I am going to get running.
                Last edited by fastlap; 03-27-2016, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Awesome Gary,

It will be good for you to get some racing in,and its great for testing your New bodies!!! Looking good,I am at the detailing stage of my track and cant wait to see what you come up with.

Keep us updated,

Trey

Comment

5-5-2011

Here the table is finally clean and the track laid out in mockup form. I want to look at it a few days and try to feel the cars running on the track. Looking at it tonight, maybe I won't let the corkscrew come downhill. maybe I will have the front straight rising going into turn one continuing to rise as it winds to the opposite side of the table, then running downhill under the track coming out into the corkscrew as a quick chicane before heading into turn 10? I will have to set it up both ways. Right now, it's looking very two-dimensional.

Last edited by fastlap; 05-05-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Rightious....I'm honestly jealous as hell bro...

Comment

Fantastic

Cant wait to give it a try

Call me 262-269-8121

Thanks

Mike Block

Comment

Mike, you home this weekend for a call? I need to "talk shop" about the tracks and what you're using as a power supply. It might be a little over-kill, but I'm thinking of going to something like this;
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/MASTECH-HY3020E-...item5196c9e8d6

Gar

Comment

My tracks at the shop have the following
                            2 x Rivergate Bulldog Power Supplies - Modified to go to 20v - This mod is no longer available from Rivergate
                            3 x Mastech - [email protected] 3010, [email protected]
                            1 x Galinko 30v 30amp

Mastechs are great - no AC leakage - nice clean power, get the linear PS if you can swing the difference in price - Try here as well as ebay http://www.mastechpowersupply.com/

And yes I will be available all weekend - on that number -

Comment

This looks to be the best supply for what we need for our track sizes. Is this the specific 3020 supply you are using?

http://www.mastechpowersupply.com/dc...t/prod_13.html

Comment

Working...
                              X