Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks great! The track is really starting to come alive

Comment

• Thanks Nick. The next time you are there that little stadium area should be decorated.

Comment

• Lookin' good!
        Really like that infield color you've come up with.

Comment

• Originally posted by galerdude View Post
          Lookin' good!
          Really like that infield color you've come up with.

Thanks. It was an experiment to not have all green like some you see. I purchased three colors of Woodland Scenic fine turf. Earth, Burnt Grass, and Grass. The Grass color is the spots of the greenest color. That's where the water gets to....lol. Will have two more pieces, which I put a coat of spray glue on, glued in place tonight so I can then see how bad the seams between pieces will be to fill in.

Next update will be the beginning of next week. Taking off Friday to play in the Leinenkugel pond hockey tourney in Wausau, Wi. this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by fastlap View Post
            Will have two more pieces, which I put a coat of spray glue on, glued in place tonight so I can then see how bad the seams between pieces will be to fill in.

Great looking track!!! Like the grass color mix...
            For an easier fix on that seam, make the seam have a jagged edge, lay in some rocks and brush for a ditch/creek bed... or get some Matchbox digging equipment, lay some pipe, put in a water line, lol... or add a fence row. Those seams "may" tend to move as the foam expands/contracts...RM

Comment

• 1-22-2018

Update:

The track is a mess again. I am in the process of gluing in the grassy panels in what I refer to as the Stadium area. I will post pics of the mess and limited progress tonight.

Gar

Comment

• Here is the current state (mess) the east end of the track is in. I will be experimenting with painting on the outer white lines of the track and red/white rumble strips from the middle of the track outwards. Then glue the grassy pieces back in.

Comment

• 1-28-2018

Getting the arena section landscaped and decided to put the Jersey Barriers in the impact zone. This is an area that after you learn the track, you don't come off much. However, on a real track, you wouldn't have a carousel type turn inside the outer corners/straight section without being protected by walls or fencing. This area outside wall will be both walled and fenced.

So, how does one make custom walls that fit the arc of the turn you say??? Well, you make an impromptu jig. These are fresh out of the casting mold before hardening. These are made from resin so they can take an impact. I decided to make two walls at a time. The 3rd photo is the wall lined up, strategically placed over the screws holding the track down.

Comment

• update

2-4-2018

Spent the afternoon masking the track to spray paint in a rumble strip area and track borderlines. The photos of the progress in order are; 1. masking the painted area. 2. Getting enough covering in place to avoid overspray on the track. 3. Car sitting in the inside lane showing how it will ride across the rumble area, 4. Different angle of the car. NEXT? Going to paint in the red areas of the rumble strip and grass up to that area.

Comment

• I see where this is going... and I like it! Can't wait to see more

Comment

• 2-6-2018

I wanted the painting effects to give the illusion of the lanes having a racing line rather than the cookie-cutter spacing of the normal track. ALSO!!!! The cars had to appear to be nerfing the curbing like the real cars. Here is what I came up with. Still needs to be bordered and accents painted in.

Comment

• another wider angle perspective. I need to paint tire rubber accents, etc. over the curbing.

Last edited by fastlap; 02-06-2018, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• Pukka. Bravo Gary!

Do you remember this from about a decade ago:

I was inspired by that to do something similar for the EAHORC 'Bradcurve', still used today by THORL, but I think you have topped both efforts.

Comment

• Gary, I keep forgetting to look up here! Now that I have, I agree with Nick and Deane you are creating a great visual effect.

Going to be fun when we have another go at your track Saturday........

Comment

• I like being sloppy..... Nothing like a little character added.

Comment

Working...
                                X