No announcement yet.

F.I.R. track construction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's the beauty of it. You can still race whatever you want.
    The Thunderjet is alive and well. Even some of the worst cars ever, like the TycoPto button pickup, can be fun with the right attitude.

Comment

• Hey Gary, Where are you planning on moving to?

Bob Weichbrodt
      [email protected]
      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

• Originally posted by Rawafx View Post
        Hey Gary, Where are you planning on moving to?

Bob Weichbrodt
        [email protected]
        Winston-Salem, NC

Bob,

Basically the same area. We just couldn't move away from the kids and grandkids no matter how we tried to justify it. So, we are moving from Orland Park which is in the infamous "Crook County" (Cook) about 10-12 minute drive to Homer Glen in Will county. That in itself is giving us about a 42% reduction in property taxes!!!!

Smaller house square footage than the current house, but since the new one is a ranch, the basement has a bigger Sq.Ft. footprint of 3500sq.ft. Lots of room for, most importantly, the track. Also lots of storage room space and room for a decent extra finished basement area. One of the cool items is a 15' x 45' detached garage in addition to the attached oversize 3-car garage. Those were my only two boxes to check off. The garage and the basement. Mamma got everything she wanted too. So, until the closings are complete, we're biting our nails. .

Thanks for asking!!!

Last edited by fastlap; 06-25-2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fastlap View Post
          Bob,

Basically the same area. We just couldn't move away from the kids and grandkids no matter how we tried to justify it. So, we are moving from Orland Park which is in the infamous "Crook County" (Cook) about 10-12 minute drive to Homer Glen in Will county. That in itself is giving us about a 42% reduction in property taxes!!!!

Smaller house square footage than the current house, but since the new one is a ranch, the basement has a bigger Sq.Ft. footprint of 3500sq.ft. Lots of room for, most importantly, the track. Also lots of storage room space and room for a decent extra finished basement area. One of the cool items is a 15' x 45' detached garage in addition to the attached oversize 3-car garage. Those were my only two boxes to check off. The garage and the basement. Mamma got everything she wanted too. So, until the closings are complete, we're biting our nails. .

Thanks for asking!!!

Gary,
          Sounds like a great house (especially since you both appear to be getting what you want). Down here in MS a basement is called a swimming pool . I grew up with a basement and sure wish I had one now! Hoping the house closes quickly and you get moved in and start F.I.R. version 2.0.

Charlie

Comment

• 7-4-2018

Update

Final packaging of the F.I.R. for transport to the new house. The move is scheduled for the 17th and into the new place on the 21st. Spent a lot of time building this 4x8 crate and putting in layer after layer to protect the track pieces. I laid the track on the foam, then cut around it so that the track nestled inside the foam. Then covered with foam then cardboard. Started the whole layer process for the next level. Has to be about 8-9 layers of track, so do the math. Will closing the box today!!!

Comment

• Best packing job I have seen in a long time. Moving is always so much fun (not)!

Charlie

Comment

• 9-6-2018

Well, we are finally getting settled in the new house and have unpacked about half the boxes. I thought it was time to get the track unpacked from the crate in the garage, and get the track pieces down into the climate controlled basement. Here are the first couple pics of the track crate and the track now sitting in the basement;

Comment

• 3 or 4 lanes would be so cool.

I can't find anyone to come over and even use the second one.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimDouglasJr View Post
                    3 or 4 lanes would be so cool.

I can't find anyone to come over and even use the second one.
                    Kyle, I have the same issue. Have a four lane track and except for my grand kids, does not get used much

Charlie

Comment

• Charlie and Kyle,

No one locally or in your area for you to solicit to come race with you? I try to have the guys over every month or two. However, I haven't hosted a real race yet. I would prefer to keep it to social events rather than hardcore competition.

Gar

Comment

• Gary,
                        Nope, it is a slot desert around here. Always looking for folks though.

Charlie

Comment

• Charlie,

I need to ask you a question about Racemasters, but it doesn't appear that I can message you through SCI. Can you send me an email, or post your email for me to contact you? Mine; [email protected]

Gar

Comment

• UPDATE!!!!

10-2-2018

I was able to acquire the pit building which was originally made by Randy Pepprock for his Petite LeMans HO track. This will be a fine addition to the F.I.R. when putting it back together this winter. I posted some photos of the purchased building, and can be seen here;

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...d.php?t=100062

Comment

• lights.jpg practice table.jpg

Comment

• UPDATE

3-31-2019

Still learning how to post photos. The two pics above are taken after a long weekend of hanging LED lights in the new track room. This portion of the basement will be dedicated entirely to the track. I will eventually be hanging a suspended ceiling to cover the house mechanicals. In the second photo, I am trying a new way to build tables. After seeing the construction of Mike Blocks track tables I decided to go with saw horses as the support legs. What you see as a table above is actually the shipping container I made to transport the track sections from the old house to the new. Even though I chalk lined approximately where the table will sit, I am using the box as a test for track placement. That 4'x8' box looks small, doesn't it? The real table will be 9' wide not counting the driver station box I made.

Anyhow, this is the re-construction of the F.I.R.!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X