• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fastlap
    started a topic F.I.R. track construction

F.I.R. track construction

5-1-2011

Here is what will be a series of progress pics and narrative for my 117' routed Bowman track. This track was contracted and designed by myself and Brad Bowman back in 2003-4. It was originally designed to sit on a 8'x24' table. The table has been expanded to 9'x26' for detailing-decorating reasons. The round black dot in the middle section of the diagram was a basement pole which I had to build the table around. At the new house (little bigger than the old house), the table surface will be clear of any sturctural objects. The finished track arrived at my home in Jan. of 2005(?) if I remember correctly. We recently moved to a new house in April 2009. TM and I owned both houses for a short time, so I dis-assembled the track table in the old house, then re-assembled it in the new hobby area at the new house. The track has a few of my favorite track's turns and features. The cork screw from Leguna Seca, the keyhole turn #11 from Long Beach and a little arena area before hitting the squeeze lanes at the keyhole, then taking on the long front straight.

After a long internal debate, I have settled on the track name of F.I.R., which is for "Fast International Raceway". Hey...it's a name..

Here is the original design we came up with and Brad's final redition in color.

Last edited by fastlap; 05-02-2011, 06:57 AM.

• fastlap
    replied
    Yep, post #194 is the first photo I posted after the BB switched. I had made this thread in hopes that it would be a nice documentation piece on the build. But, like all things, it's time to move forward. I have been working on the basement of the house we moved into last July. I am at the point of making the table grid work and table tops. Hopefully I'll be assembling the track by the end of June. It never seems to fail that some silly "every day life" thing gets in the way of the resurrection of the F.I.,R........lol.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    After this BB switched to vBulletin people lost any pictures that were in their albums and the ones in their old posts can no longer be seen.
    Last edited by RichD; 05-25-2019, 06:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dinglebery
    replied
    Originally posted by MSwaterlogged View Post
    Am I the only only one not seeing Gary's photos? All I have is text

Charlie
    I only see the pictures posted in #194

Leave a comment:

• MSwaterlogged
    replied
    Am I the only only one not seeing Gary's photos? All I have is text

Charlie

Leave a comment:

• sparacer
    replied
    I was getting that also, but if you "sign in", it works fine.

Leave a comment:

• MSwaterlogged
    replied
    Fast,
    don't know about others but when I click on you photo link, I get invalid file specified.

Charlie

Leave a comment:

• fastlap
    replied
    UPDATE

3-31-2019

Still learning how to post photos. The two pics above are taken after a long weekend of hanging LED lights in the new track room. This portion of the basement will be dedicated entirely to the track. I will eventually be hanging a suspended ceiling to cover the house mechanicals. In the second photo, I am trying a new way to build tables. After seeing the construction of Mike Blocks track tables I decided to go with saw horses as the support legs. What you see as a table above is actually the shipping container I made to transport the track sections from the old house to the new. Even though I chalk lined approximately where the table will sit, I am using the box as a test for track placement. That 4'x8' box looks small, doesn't it? The real table will be 9' wide not counting the driver station box I made.

Anyhow, this is the re-construction of the F.I.R.!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• fastlap
    replied
    lights.jpg practice table.jpg

Leave a comment:

• fastlap
    replied
    UPDATE!!!!

10-2-2018

I was able to acquire the pit building which was originally made by Randy Pepprock for his Petite LeMans HO track. This will be a fine addition to the F.I.R. when putting it back together this winter. I posted some photos of the purchased building, and can be seen here;

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...d.php?t=100062

Leave a comment:

• fastlap
    replied
    Charlie,

I need to ask you a question about Racemasters, but it doesn't appear that I can message you through SCI. Can you send me an email, or post your email for me to contact you? Mine; [email protected]

Gar

Leave a comment:

• MSwaterlogged
    replied
    Gary,
    Nope, it is a slot desert around here. Always looking for folks though.

Charlie

Leave a comment:

• fastlap
    replied
    Charlie and Kyle,

No one locally or in your area for you to solicit to come race with you? I try to have the guys over every month or two. However, I haven't hosted a real race yet. I would prefer to keep it to social events rather than hardcore competition.

Gar

Leave a comment:

• MSwaterlogged
    replied
    Originally posted by JimDouglasJr View Post
    3 or 4 lanes would be so cool.

I can't find anyone to come over and even use the second one.
    Kyle, I have the same issue. Have a four lane track and except for my grand kids, does not get used much

Charlie

Leave a comment:

• JimDouglasJr
    replied
    3 or 4 lanes would be so cool.

I can't find anyone to come over and even use the second one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X