X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tudo
    started a topic List of Track Builders

List of Track Builders

I am very interested in having a track built for my home. My dream track would be to duplicate the 1/24th scale track that I raced on when I was a kid, at the Cranford Raceways ( if anyone has any images of these tracks please post them! ) only in HO scale. Least I think I would. I am compiling information and hope you all will help.

How many track builders are out there? I've heard these mentioned

Brad's Tracks
    Dan Cronin

How many others? Make a list? Is it ok to critique each builder ? What say you, if you were having a track built what kind would it be, why, and by whom? Is it worth the $$ compared with the generic tracks?
    Last edited by Tudo; 10-22-2014, 08:02 AM.

• wheelszk
    replied
    What is the size and how much?

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    Gravity type cars are no longer mass produced, not a lot of people make them for sale. The cars are often built one at a time and sold via ebay. Some builders do a small batch of cars and put those up for sale. I got one Landshark as a kit from Lucky Bob's. I got another one from Al Thurman via ebay. Be aware that a car that is built to run on a railed track may not work well on one with braids and vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• Tudo
    replied
    This track is now for sale and available right now. See me or Terry Flynn

Leave a comment:

• Mike_dy
    replied
    Originally posted by Tudo View Post
    Hi All, been quite a while. Brad finished my track a week or so ago and I've been enjoying this wonderful track. I'm very interested in purchasing Landsharks, Riggens, if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful

I have a couple of these cars and they never seemed to run the way I hoped they would on the afx type track. But on this track they are great. Fish tailing around the bank is especially fun. I'd like to develop a collection of these cars, need to be pointed in the right direction though.

Just getting set up:
    Your picture appears to have dissappeared, any chance you could repost it please?
    Cheers Mike

Leave a comment:

• HO RacePro
    replied
    Anything more than a 45-degree bank should be excessive. At 45-degrees the force pressing the car against the track is equal to the force trying to push the car off the track. If your tires can produce a coefficient of friction equal to 1.0 -- and any good tire should be able to do more than this -- your car will get around the corner at full cry.

You could probably get by with a less steep angle, especially with magnet cars.

On my own banked oval -- which allows no magnetic downforce -- the steepest part of the banking is only 20-degrees. And our best gravity cars whip around those corners at very high speeds.

In your position, I'd talk it through with Mr. Bowman. He has built scads of tracks and surely knows what works best.

Ed Bianchi

Leave a comment:

• Dyno Dom
    replied
    Nice track, certainly looks like it is worth the wait time to manufacture. Enjoy!
    What is the table footprint?

Leave a comment:

• Tudo
    replied
    Hi All, been quite a while. Brad finished my track a week or so ago and I've been enjoying this wonderful track. I'm very interested in purchasing Landsharks, Riggens, if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful

I have a couple of these cars and they never seemed to run the way I hoped they would on the afx type track. But on this track they are great. Fish tailing around the bank is especially fun. I'd like to develop a collection of these cars, need to be pointed in the right direction though.

Just getting set up:

Leave a comment:

• SouthShoreRacing
    replied
    The only cars that you can't stop in the bank are T-Jets, AFX non-magnatraction and Gravity cars. Everything else doesn't have a problem stopping in the bank. This is my experience from many races on this track.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    Here is a track at LenJet with very steep banking, it was built by Brad Bowman.

In reality just about any HO car can go flat out through a corner that has much less steep banking, so this would be mostly for looks. If you run races with track calls you can't stop some cars on the banking.

Leave a comment:

• Tudo
    replied
    Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Have undergone a surgery that has apparently failed and I'm waiting on a green light to try it again despite this surgery from a pain standpoint makes the breathing after total open heart surgery I had a few years ago look more like a gentle message by comparison. ( Thank Heavens for things like True OG, and Platinum GSC, or the likes. Otherwise it would all be narcotics and I'd be a total zombie by now instead of just a 45% zombie heh heh.

Anyway, I placed an order for a track prior to my health melting down so all the time I waited for the start of the build was essentially in vain, however the trackbuilder is being very helpful and as soon as I get at least a tiny bit improved, hopefully in the next few weeks and I can give this person the green light.

What I truly want is as intense a bank turn as possible and am not that crazy about what's been shown for a 4 lane bank. Hypothetical question, can a 6 lane or 8 lane Bank section of the track be built but then only connect the steepest backs to do 4 lanes, then cut off the rest so as to integrate the new super banked 4 lanes cut down from 6 or 8 lanes?

I am medicating right now so if this is a stupid question please give me a little latitude. This 60++ year old is just starting to focus on adapting to a new quasi-retired lifestyle,,,,,,,hopefully the good lord will extend to me a few good years. Oops there I go off the rails again, sorry, much appreciation for any dialogue on this and help.

Anyhoo please let me know what you think of my theory to get a deeper bank curve than what I have and I've asked Brad to weigh in on this. Funny how some uf us are trying to recapture that moment when we had that innocent smile on our faces before going full bore into that bank! b

I do want to say that thus far Mr Bowman has been very helpful and is truly a nice person not to mention a master track builder. My only hope to Mr Bowman is that if possible I'd like to somehow pay whatever it takes to create on of those super banks. I am trying to recreate a 1/24 slot car track into 1/64 scale. This has been on my mind for nearly 50 years and I thought that if anyone can do it, Brad Bowman would be that man. So Brad, if you're reading this, I'm just waiting on the vote coming up. If it passes and is able to overcome all the corruption in the state of Florida, then we are staying and will be looking to either move back to the east coast, Palm Beach County where I owned property/homes there ( Boca Raton, Wellington ) or Central Fl, possibly Winter Haven, Windermere, near Orlando and gourmet prime meats and all the great seafood that Florida is known for and which seems to be disappearing fast from typical supermarket resellers ( for any real quality it's night and day from 10-20-30 years ago unfortunately.

Hmmm these adult pain releavers are really kicking in so I better go before I start saying stupid thinks like reminiscing about back in the days at Cranford NJ raceways where I won a bunch of 1st and 2nd class ribbons for racing as a teenager. I was soooooooo disappointed when they closed down. I'd be tempted to provide the capital to build s great raceway in the areas I mentioned that my Wife and I are looking to possibly buy Mr Tudo's final resting place. Wife is 25 years my junior which is why I only mentioned my final resting place. The better hadl will be a while longer

Question, my "idea" is to purchase a 6 0r 8 lane section for the main banked curve despite the rest of the track is for 4 lane. In your opinion can a larger say 8 lane or 12 lane "mule" track banked curve be purchased and then cut down to use only the deepest parts of the curve? I realize that if it can be done that it would cost me and I'm absolutely ok with that. This is an investment in having fun with the time I have left. While we're far from rich, we're also savers and have saved for this moment ( just like I've saved to buy a 2005 fort t-bird heh ) and a new house that we pay for and do extensive renovations. Like I said, Mr Tudo's final resting place.

Any suggestions and helpful hints would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance from SW Florida, hopefully elsewhere in Fla sometime after 11 days from now

Meanwhile the Vetter pounces in the Ferarri and kicks it's butt too!

Leave a comment:

• Tudo
    replied
    Originally posted by BIG E View Post
    Although I'm not familiar where or when Cranford Raceway operated, chances are they had some type of American Raceways track or similarly designed circuits. Contact American slot car racer and hobby industry veteran John Ford at <www.fordpub.com> He is a treasure of knowledge within our hobby, and worked with the late, great Swedish track builder Hasse Nilsson to build many commercial tracks for raceways all over the world, as well as two for my own raceway here on Long Island back in the late 1980's. The man knows his stuff.
    He has a book entitled "The American Royal Family" which shows pictures and diagrams of all the American Model Raceway tracks (and others) we raced on as kids in the 1960's.
    You may remember the famous blue "King" track (a design, in modern form, still loved by today's 1/24 championship "Wing" and "Flexi" slot car racers), the red "Sovereign" ("Hillclimb"), or the orange "Monarch", just to name a few all time favorites. The "book" is basically bound color photocopies, but it also comes with a digital CD copy for $19.95. I bought it for nostalgia's sake alone, but I started imitating those track designs with Aurora "Lock & Joiner" HO set track as a kid. Check this out, it could be just what you're looking for.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !! -- Ernie:>)

Thanks Ernie, I'm placing an order for that book too and Blue King rings a bell for sure as does Hillclimb as Cranford had a 2 story track that at one point you couldn't even see your car, just had to go by feel ( and luck! )

Leave a comment:

• Tudo
    replied
    Thanks Ed but my situation has me in such shape that some days I can't hold a controller much less build any tracks unfortunately.

I am on a waiting list because of the banked curve. But someone in that list has contacted me and told me they can do it and in a much shorter span of time so I am going to contact him next week and see what can be done as I really don't like this tomy/afx track. Sorry.

And my interests have definitely changed in the last few months. I have come to the conclusion that there just ain't no way to make these little cars resemble the 1/24's. Just no way.

With that said I've been trying out some of those really fast magnet cars and all I can say is I"M HOOKED. Now I just want a custom track with a 40-50 degree banked curve

If I must wait a year, then so I shall however if there's a way to get it done before then....................but I don't know. Will report back when I learn something , Thank you again for all the help and advice.

Leave a comment:

• HO RacePro
    replied
    If you have no interest in traction magnets you can rout your own track and use 1/8" wide copper tape for the power conductors. It is the easiest and cheapest way to build your own track.

With copper tape you need some kind of a braid for pickup. Conventional hard pickups will not work. But if you are going to Riggen and Riggen-like chassis, all you need to do is substitute braid for the wipers on the guide shoe.

Building a Blue King in HO scale is not a good idea for a first track. Banked curves require some smarts and skills to get right. But a first-timer can turn out a very respectable track on a 4 x 8 sheet of MDF. Read up on the how-tos.

I am able to build a 4 x 8 track in 20 hours -- but then I have the tools. A raw amateur might need three times that long. Could you build a track in a month's worth of spare time? I'd say so.

Read, read, read all you can about track building. There is a ton of information out there.

Sadly, a fair amount of it is BAD information, but hey, this is the internet. Read everything with your BS detector cranked to '10'. If nothing else you will learn that there is disagreement on how best to do things, but also real bozos have succeeded, so really, how hard can it be?

Ed Bianchi

Leave a comment:

• Dyno Dom
    replied
    Hello Big E, how are you and thanks for info to American Raceway tracks.
    You must be slipping my friend or I misread your post. The red was an Imperial and the Sovereign
    is the purple mile. My '60's home track was the Aurora Racing Center in West Hemp. They had two
    Imperials on 1st floor at right front where the Jim Clark mural was and left rear along the parts showcases
    and in front of the snack area. Right rear had a Hillclimb with steering wheel & foot pedal. There were
    smaller tracks of black & yellow, one was at front entrance and other was in basement, among others.
    The basement tracks were mostly for private club use to keep kids & public in view on 1st floor.
    Best part, when we ran out of $$$ for parts and track time the 2 HO 6 lane tub tracks in front window parallel to street were Free to run on. See you soon & be well!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X