MEET THE MEMBERS OF SCI.......Slotbutton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEET THE MEMBERS OF SCI.......Slotbutton

Ok, time to pick on some one else and Slotbutton has volunteered (ok.....I cornered him) to be the subject of this week's edition of Meet the Members of SCI.

1) Slotbutton.......where did your screen name come from? And tell us about yourself too.

2) Most of us had HO slot cars as kids. What was THE defining moment that drew you into the world of 1:32 scale model racing?

3) What was your first 1:32 slot car set?

4) What were the most recent 3 slot cars you purchased and what drew you to each car.

5) We have found several members who have been involved in 1/1 racing. Have you had any experience in 1/1 racing?

6) How many times have you changed layout designs and what led to each change? We would love to see pics if you have any.

7) SCX or Scalextric? Carrera or Slot.It? Ninco or Fly?

8) If you were given $200 dollars to spend on a car for club or Proxy racing, what car do you buy and what upgrades do you add......please be as specific as possible and consider the RAAce 2008 rules as a guideline.

9) And last: wood or plastic? Mag or non-mag?

Thanks and good luck SLotbutton!!!!!!!

KIITS ,
    Lawrence
    Last edited by rolltidevet; 12-12-2007, 12:04 PM.

Fire away!

Ok, time to pick on some one else and Slotbutton has volunteered (ok.....I cornered him) to be the subject of this week's edition of Meet the Members of SCI.

1) Slotbutton.......where did your screen name come from? And tell us about yourself too.
    I guess that came from a momentary lapse of reason or it sounded really cool to me. At the onset of joining SCI you are given a hint on how to pick a screen name( at least you used to, not so sure about now) anyway I really enjoy slotcars and I’m a big fan of Jenson Button so I combined the 2 and the rest is history. To be really honest I think the reason I added Button to my screen name was because I just couldn’t buy a win in our local group of racers! Seconds and thirds no problem…guess I was Hungary for a win!

2) Most of us had HO slot cars as kids. What was THE defining moment that drew you into the world of 1:32 scale model racing?
    The closest I had to HO was Hotwheels and Matchbox I went straight in to 1/32. I had a lot of exposure to different forms of motor racing as a kid. So the bug bit at an early age, but wained when girls started to be more interesting( what was I thinking?? the maintenance is a lot easier on slotcars!) Once my son was born I started thinking of the things I enjoyed as a kid and got back into slots.

3) What was your first 1:32 slot car set?
    Carrera was the most readily available at the time, but there was Scalextric here and there. I recall getting a Martini 911 whaletail as a gift one year and deciding it would look way better in JPS colours??? Let’s say I hope my painting skills have improved over the years as that was abysmal...
    4) What were the most recent 3 slot cars you purchased and what drew you to each car.
    The last three purchase I made were for 2 Fly 911’s and 4 Mercedes Trucks. The first Porsche is the all Pink one which I thought I would get for my daughter as she loves everything pink and was over the moon when she won the Pink/White Porsche 935 K3 at the Scaleracing NW drivers challenge. The second Porsche is the all white(Vasek Pollack??) I had to have to race against my daughter – it’s a good enough excuse to buy more cars.
    The trucks are something I bought to eventually run IROC races with our local group of racers. I need to repaint one truck so I have a truck for each lane of Suzuka – should be a blast.

5) We have found several members who have been involved in 1/1 racing. Have you had any experience in 1/1 racing? My dad was involved in motorsport and that piqued my interest but I have mainly been a spectator at many different forms of motorsport - rallying,F1,Saloons,GP Bikes and endurance races. Did race in a couple of dirt bike Enduro’s, not very successfully and with no budget, but I got dirty and had fun!!

6) How many times have you changed layout designs and what led to each change? We would love to see pics if you have any.
    I will have a look to see if I have pictures, most changes have come from moving house or changing track systems, my most recent layout I have had for about 4 years. It is in the process of being dismantled and changed to a 4 lane layout.So in total I have changed my layout about 5 times in 7 years.

7) SCX or Scalextric? Carrera or Slot.It? Ninco or Fly?
    What class and what rules?? I like most brands and have cars from all of the above. Do I have a favourite? Depends on how I feel. Somedays it’s the Fly classics others it’s JGTC.
    I love my 3 car Rothmans set, the Slot –it Silk Cut Jags are awesome, anything Gunston or Jagermeister are a must have( yes I know signs of a misspent youth). If I am introducing new people to the hobby at my home track then I would choose Scalextric as I think they are the most robust available.

8) If you were given $200 dollars to spend on a car for club or Proxy racing, what car do you buy and what upgrades do you add......please be as specific as possible and consider the RAAce 2008 rules as a guideline.
    Not sure of the RAA rules and it may take me a week to read the rules so to speed things up I’ll “enter” the Slot-It Shootout. Car of choice would be the McClaren because of the motor it comes with. Next up would be to purchase aluminium wheels for the front. I would like to try an anglewinder set up with the Boxer 2 motor, so I would need a selection of inline and anglewinder crown gears. Zero grip tyres for the front some sheet lead for weight placement a deep wood guide.There isn’t a whole lot you really need to change on the McLaren to get it to be competitive, but you could easily spend the $200 trying different gear ratio’s and motor set ups.That said I'll be sending this years winner(Sauber C9) back into the fray for the 2008 Slot - It shoot out.

9) And last: wood or plastic? Mag or non-mag?
    I like both types wood/plastic and mag/non-mag. I think people get to bent out of shape trying to prove one is better than the other. Most of us wouldn’t be in the hobby without starting on some form of sectional track and I can think of one or two people that would love to contradict me on that statement too. I have a wood track with magna braid and Scalextric Sport which I would like to copper tape the rails.
    Magnet racing is the easiest way to get new people to start racing in my opinion as firstly it masks a lot of manufacturers imperfections in their product, secondly you don’t need after market tyres and with the use of a magnet marshall you can limit the amount of down force sort of like speed GT where the winners have a reduced amount of magnetic down force. It doesn’t really matter to me what I race or what I race on as long as it is fun!

Thanks and good luck Slotbutton!!!!!!!

KIITS ,
    Lawrence

Comment

Thanks slotbutton. I have heard quite a bit about this Canadian slot version of Suzuka Raceway and how much fun AND challenging it is. Could I ask for a pic or 2 of this beast I have heard so much about?

Now more questions from a personal point of view. You and I (and most everyone else) will always replace the plastic front SLot.It tires with aluminum rims. Why not the Magnesium rims (if cost is not an option)? I understand the choice of the Slot.It McLaren GTR as it is possibly the best car of the year. Please look at my review and the comments about the Ninco Vortrom Mosler. This beast can give the SI GTR's and the NSR Moslers a run for their money.

And finally (again), what is your opinion of Fly Car Model's Porsche 935 K3 models?

KIITS and thanks for your time to answer all the questions.
      Lawrence

Comment

Happy to meet a "left coaster". I hear there's quite a slot scene out there.

Originally posted by slotbutton View Post
        Carrera was the most readily available at the time, but there was Scalextric here and there.
        When and where was that? In central Canada, I wasn't even aware of Carrera until I got back into model car racing a few years ago, but Scalextric has always been around. When did Carrera come to Canada?

I recall getting a Martini 911 whaletail as a gift one year and deciding it would look way better in JPS colours??? Letís say I hope my painting skills have improved over the years as that was abysmal...
        You should have seen the paint jobs I subjected my 60's cars to. They made the Andy Warhol BMW M1 Art Car look like, well, ART. Those that survived the dark age (35 years without slot cars) have been stripped and restored.

I have a wood track with magna braid and Scalextric Sport which I would like to copper tape the rails.
        Interesting. You seem to be going two directions at once. What is your thinking behind the copper tape on Scalextric idea?

It doesnít really matter to me what I race or what I race on as long as it is fun!
        Amen to that. I'd love to see pictures of your tracks as well.

And thanks to you, Lawrence, for "outing" another SCI member.

Old23

Comment

Originally posted by Old23 View Post
          Happy to meet a "left coaster". I hear there's quite a slot scene out there.Here in the Victoria vicinity there are about 10 of us that race regularly and then double or triple that amount that have ventured to race with us or threatened to race with us.

When and where was that? In central Canada, I wasn't even aware of Carrera until I got back into model car racing a few years ago, but Scalextric has always been around. When did Carrera come to Canada?Wasn't in Canada! I have only been Canadian for 5 years and lived here for 8(9 in January). Was born in England and grew up in South Africa which is where I experienced most of my motorsport

You should have seen the paint jobs I subjected my 60's cars to. They made the Andy Warhol BMW M1 Art Car look like, well, ART. Those that survived the dark age (35 years without slot cars) have been stripped and restored.Unfortunately it was one of those things that got discarded along with the childhood!

Interesting. You seem to be going two directions at once. What is your thinking behind the copper tape on Scalextric idea?I am partial to both surfaces and don't feel like routing a track at home when I have enough sectional track to make a 4 lane anyway isn't all motorracing held on different surfaces?? The copper tape helps with conductivity and reduces a little of the magnet attraction for magnet racing

Amen to that. I'd love to see pictures of your tracks as well.Will post some in awhile - I should really be working

And thanks to you, Lawrence, for "outing" another SCI member.

Old23
          Lawrence the Ninco car certainly looks interesting and I will look at them if they do something besides the Mosler, it just isn't a car I like!!
          As far as Magnesium wheels are concerned I only use them when I need a narrow wheelbase. Either I don't know enough to justify the weght savings or I have never experienced any difference in how the car handles. Good plastic wheels work fine anyway - we ran plastic wheels on a couple of our endurance cars without any problems

Comment

Track photo's

This is Suzuka West and it is a great track to race on even if I say so myself

This was my last layout for Scalextric sport. I have just trashed it and will be moving to a 16x7 layout!!

Last edited by slotbutton; 12-11-2007, 11:28 PM.

Comment

More Suzuka West pictures if you're interested:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a72...y%20BC%202006/

Great track.....built by slotbutton and PT Fan.

Comment

Some motorsport pictures

Here are some rally photo's I shot

This is Tony Pond driving a Sierra Cosworth.

Will post more later

Comment

Seems like a good time for a contribution from me here ... so a couple of thumbnails below (Darren is the one in the middle, the other lads don't photograph as well, probably because of their use of second rate hair products) as well as one from the momentous moment when Jenson scored his first pole ...

Comment

Paul, you have some wonderfully bad photos of Kerry.

Comment

Wow slotbutton. I had heard so much about Suzuka West. Usually you'll hear great things are they turn out not so great when you finally see them. THAT DOES NOT APPLY TO SUZUKA WEST!!!!!! BEAUTIFUL&GORGEOUS TRACK. Elevation changes are in place and all. Do you have thet right/left chcane in place right before start/finish? Heck, even if you don't, that is one impressive layout. I MUST come race on it.

What I would like to see is a weekend of racing for SCI members at SW. Man, nobody would get any sleep.

That is just incredible slotbutton. I also love the rallye photos. I don't know much about rallye racing and the WRC, but my interest is getting piqued by all the slot cars I see and the race tracks.

KIITS,
                      Lawrence

Comment

What I would like to see is a weekend of racing for SCI members at SW.
                        Take a look at this thread, I hope to hold a 6 hr race on the Sunday between Christmas and New year.

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...ad.php?t=15151

Paul, you have some wonderfully bad photos of Kerry.
                        Ain't that the truth!!
                        Paul does have a car entered in CPR??? Kerry is looking forward to Driving it!!!

Did I mention he's the only driver to be fast enough to have a car leave the track at 130R

Do you have thet right/left chcane in place right before start/finish?
                        No we ran out of space! Kerry will correct me but I think we should have 2 more 4x8 sheets of mdf in this section to make Suzuka perfect!!

Comment

Compromises...

Originally posted by rolltidevet View Post
                          Do you have that right/left chicane in place right before start/finish? Heck, even if you don't, that is one impressive layout. I MUST come race on it.
                          The main straight and the back straight are each only about 10' long, so we thought the Triangle chicane would have slowed it down too much. I really like trying to get the trailbraking right while screaming through the 130R before the critical righthander onto the main straight... I am really glad we did it that way! Some of the camber in the esses wasn't as pronounced as I had intended (positive and negative), so soon I will be tilting the track more just to mess everyone up!

Originally posted by rolltidevet View Post
                          What I would like to see is a weekend of racing for SCI members at SW. Man, nobody would get any sleep.
                          We pretty much had one when we hosted the 9 Hour round of the Scaleracing Endurance Series in June... that's where WCR took all those horrible shots of me...

Kerry

Comment

When is the track long enough?

Did I mention he's the only driver to be fast enough to have a car leave the track at 130R

No we ran out of space! Kerry will correct me but I think we should have 2 more 4x8 sheets of mdf in this section to make Suzuka perfect!!
                            Another 16' of straights would certainly make a really amazing layout! I still wouldn't put the Triangle in...

It would get almost as hard to see your car as at Slingshot in Atlanta though...

Comment

A better shot of Kerry:

From left to right......Darren's son Damien, Darren, and then Kerry of course.

Here is the podium finish from the 9 hour enduro in Victoria......Lawrence, be sure to check out the man on the far left......none other than our beloved Wet Coast!
                              Last edited by Blair M; 12-12-2007, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X