Meet The Members of SCI ....... Jose Guerrero

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet The Members of SCI ....... Jose Guerrero

Ladies and Gentlemen, It is my distinct pleasure to introduce one of the leaders of SPIRIT HOBBY MODELS who have given us some of our best slot cars lately. On a personal basis, I have prepped a Telefonica SPIRIT REYNARD 2KQ for the Race Across America 2008. Jose has been very generous to donate his time. He may not be able to respond to all of these questions at once, however, make no mistake: this is a very special treat for us. Few manufacturers have taken such an active role in communicating with us here at SCI.
    Jose and Spirit Hobby Models watch what we say about their products and are very interested in what we have to say (ESPECIALLY SUGGESTIONS).

So, without going overboard, may I introduce to you JOSE GUERRERO of SPIRIT HOBBY MODELS:

1) Jose, How did you get started in the slot car manufacturing business?

2) How do you decide which cars to model? For instance, barely anyone in the US or Canada knows about Yves Courage and Courage Competition's LMP cars. Yet Spirit did a great honor by making a model of the Courage C65. Why the C65?

3)What do you see as the differences between the European market, the Australian and New Zealand market, and the North American market?

4) Do you ever get the chance to race slot cars yourself? If you do, what IS your favorite car to race with ?

5) Are wood tracks more predominant in Europe than plastic track ?

6) Can you give us any hints as to some new releases for 2008 from SPIRIT that we have not heard about?

7) Who is your favorite Futbol (soccer) team ?

8) Would you care to teach us some Spanish?

Thanks Jose. We all look forward to your responses.

SEEC/KIITS,
    Lawrence

Originally posted by rolltidevet View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, It is my distinct pleasure to introduce one of the leaders of SPIRIT HOBBY MODELS who have given us some of our best slot cars lately. On a personal basis, I have prepped a Telefonica SPIRIT REYNARD 2KQ for the Race Across America 2008. Jose has been very generous to donate his time. He may not be able to respond to all of these questions at once, however, make no mistake: this is a very special treat for us. Few manufacturers have taken such an active role in communicating with us here at SCI.
    Jose and Spirit Hobby Models watch what we say about their products and are very interested in what we have to say (ESPECIALLY SUGGESTIONS).

So, without going overboard, may I introduce to you JOSE GUERRERO of SPIRIT HOBBY MODELS:

1) Jose, How did you get started in the slot car manufacturing business?

2) How do you decide which cars to model? For instance, barely anyone in the US or Canada knows about Yves Courage and Courage Competition's LMP cars. Yet Spirit did a great honor by making a model of the Courage C65. Why the C65?

3)What do you see as the differences between the European market, the Australian and New Zealand market, and the North American market?

4) Do you ever get the chance to race slot cars yourself? If you do, what IS your favorite car to race with ?

6) Can you give us any hints as to some new releases for 2008 from SPIRIT that we have not heard about?

Thanks Jose. We all look forward to your responses.

SEEC/KIITS,
    Lawrence
    Please, let us a couple of days to prepare the answers.....THANKS!!!

ST

Comment

1)Jose, How did you get started in the slot car manufacturing business?

Spirit started its business in 2000, personally I started working in slot car business since July 2006.

From the BMW releasing, we choose the cars according to these:

-It must be a well known car worldwide, at least by car enthusiasts.
      -It must have different decorations to make a collection.
      -Preferably, it must not been made before like 1/32 slot car.
      -Preferably, it must be possible to get licensing.

Courage is an old Spirit project, we choose the C65 because offer a good range of decorations and the measurements are perfect for slot car performance.

Mainly the car preferences, very similar to 1:1 cars. A Porsche is a Porsche in every country, but a Seat or a Vauxhall are very limited known in some markets.

4) Do you ever get the chance to race slot cars yourself? If you do, what IS your favorite car to race with?

I was racing since 1989, first rally races and nowadays in circuit classes. In this moment Iím racing a BMW 2002 Cup that is amazing fun so I must say itís my current prefer car to race. Also like a lot Cartrix F1 Legends driving.

My colleague Abel, the Spirit Technical Manager, also races (and quite well I must say) with a Peugeot 406 Silhouette, but in this case his opinion is not fareÖ..he designs and develops the car!

Major part of Spanish Clubs has plastic tracks. I think in the rest of Europe depends on country, but maybe plastic is preferred.

We will release at least 3 or 4 new cars in 2008, and some decorations and sport versions of current ones. I can give you one hint about our next release: this car was sold with an animal name in the USA and itís classic. Maybe next week we could show some pictures.

This is the only reason of getting in fight in Spirit. We have supporters of Real Madrid, Barcelona and, of course, of the best Football Club in the world: Atlťtico de Madrid (maybe you could guess which of these three is my beloved team)

Of course, but only if you help me with the very difficult Slotenglish!!!

Comment

Thanks Jose,

Of course we will help you with "SLOTENGLISH". Just let us know what you need translated.

I'm still interested in the Courage C65, especially since I own one and have been able to get it "up to speed". Did you have to contact Yves Courage at first to ask him for permission, or did the SPIRIT team get together and throw out ideas for a good LMP release.

By the way (BTW), the Spirit Reynard 2KQ releases have been popular in North America (US and Canada). How were these releases received in Spain and Europe?

SEEC/KIITS,
        Lawrence
        Last edited by rolltidevet; 01-08-2008, 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I LOVE MY SPIRIT CARS!

I think I even got one of my Dallara's from Lawrence(Playstation). I have a handful of Reynards, most of the Ferrari 512's, plus a good assortment of others. The Dallara & Reynard drive beautifully! I have recently begun to run my 512's a bit more(on wood) & they do very nicely.

Let's not forget the class-leaders; Peugeot 205 & Renault Turbo 5 - AWESOME!!

One question about the older cars; parts, I would love to get spares for the Rally cars. I bought some twin kits, but they are a little impractical without being able to get parts to build the second car. I desperately want a chassis for a Peugeot!

On to the newer(Chinese) cars:
          So far you've managed pretty well in your new venture; problems have been dealt with generally well. One nagging issue seems to be Quality Control on your wheels, especially the BMW - they are awful. I think round, concentric, in-plane wheels should not be too much to ask on a car, yet this seems to be an issue. I often don't mind the little tweaks I have to do to a car, but when the car is so different from what is on the market, getting aftermarket parts can be close to impossible. I also have a Peugeot Silhouette with a warped chassis & I do not look forward to scratch-building one for it.

I would like to see basic spare parts become available; chassis' & wheels mainly.

Motors - you guys are putting out some very good motors.

How about an Alfa to run with the Porsche 936?

Keep up the good work!

Comment

I can give you one hint about our next release: this car was sold with an animal name in the USA and itís classic. Maybe next week we could show some pictures.
            Hmmm sounds interesting. Anybody want to guess?

Good interview, there's no doubt that the cars are gaining in popularity over here.

Comment

SCI members should really be thankful that Jose and the entire SPIRIT HOBBY MODEL team has taken such an interest in what WE have to say. Maurizoi Ferrari of SLot.It is also another Manufacturer (He owns Slot.It forthose who didn't know) who takes an interest in what we have to say.

SPIRIT is showing us tremendous support and I thank them for that. Oh yeah, they make really good slot cars too!!! Rest assured, they will address issues such as Martini917's problem with the wheels. That, to me at least, is what is so encouraging about SPIRIT and Jose: They really care about what we think.

Thank you Jose and Spirit!!! Well done!!! And expect more questions .

SEEC/KIITS,
              Lawrence

Comment

Welcome, Jose, might your new car be a Tiger?! (I hope!)

Comment

new car

it's a Pinto! yeeee-haw!

Comment

Jose I race the Reynards( I own 4 of them), The Peugeot 406 Silhouette, and the BMW 2002 TransAm. These are all great Cars. I was the first to race Spirit cars in my area, but now after the other racers have seen how good they are we have several people driving them.
                    Thank You for producing these great cars, and for coming on the Forum.
                    I hope Spirit will produce some of the Great Racing cars of the 50s and 60s, maybe the Lotus Sport Racers,The McKee CanAm cars, etc.
                    You mention that you enjoy racing the Cartrix Classic F1s, those are some of my favorites also.

Tom

Comment

Hi Jose, Thank You for participating here at SCI, to me this speaks volumes, and I will always put Spirit on a short list of cars I'm willing to spend my money on. The BMW 1602/2002 was definately a highlight for me, and I thank you for making it. These are the type of cars I enjoy, & I hope you will give her a partner to play with.

One nagging issue seems to be Quality Control on your wheels, especially the BMW - they are awful. I think round, concentric, in-plane wheels should not be too much to ask on a car, yet this seems to be an issue. I often don't mind the little tweaks I have to do to a car, but when the car is so different from what is on the market, getting aftermarket parts can be close to impossible.
                      martini917K

Nobody makes a quality 13" or !4" wheel, and though yours are beautiful, I think they need to tweaked a bit. I'd like to see an aluminum version w/ set-screws, and some proper inserts
                      Mini-Panasports
                      SSR reverse mesh, or BBS mesh
                      Mugen MR8's
                      all the iconic wheels from the 70's & 80"s
                      and a standard rib, for easy tire swaps.

looking forward to what your going to bring out for 08' and I'm sure it will be on my list as a must have!

Thanks,

John

kinda stumped about a clasic car named after a animal a tiger would be nice, is a Capri an animal? Cougar maybe?, I'm sure it's right there in front of me, I just can't see it!

Comment

I'm betting it's a Sunbeam Tiger.

Originaly a Sunbeam Alpine converted to fit a Ford V8 by Ken Miles while he was working for Carol Shelby. It also fits into Spirt's strategy to release cars not allready on the market.

Comment

356, if it's a Sunbeam Tiger, then I just got a new must have! and I've reduced these, by not only what they are, but who's making it.

Comment

If you guys are fans, you'll probably enjoy this site: http://www.ritzsite.net/Tiger/01_tiger.htm

Hopefully I'm not derailing anything, here.

Comment

Originally posted by 356speedster View Post
                              I'm betting it's a Sunbeam Tiger.

Originaly a Sunbeam Alpine converted to fit a Ford V8 by Ken Miles while he was working for Carol Shelby. It also fits into Spirt's strategy to release cars not allready on the market.
                              The first Tigers had MOPAR 273 ci engines. I drove one for two years back in my younger days. Man was that really over 44 years ago?

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X